Performance Label

ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
Can we please have the performance label be more useful? As it stand, I believe it shows the average for the current match/map? So if a new match starts, the server will show 100% even though the average the previous round/map could have been 50% by the time the game ended. This kind of defeats the purpose of labeling a server that has performance issues that tries to warn the player joining, unless your viewing the server browser before the match has had enough time to gather the average performance score.

It's already happened to me a few times. Join a server that shows 100%, get awful lag mid-late game, hit esc and check the server browser performance label and it's at something like 45%, lol. I don't want to join these servers, invest time into a good early game to have the end game be a slideshow of lag. Please make the information on the server browser more relevant so I can avoid these servers completely and use proper servers that can handle the game.

Comments

• DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I think we talked about this internally yesterday :P
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Some servers use modified server rates. How does that work with the performance indicator? If a server runs at higher rates but can't maintain those due to high load, how will that show up in the browser? It might still perform at default rates.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Being able to see externally what the server metrics are would be great
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Decoy wrote: »
    I think we talked about this internally yesterday :P
    That's schizophrenic for 'I thought about this' :D
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Dictator93‌ Judging how well a server is doing by looking at the rates can be difficult. For those of us who have read up on the subject it would be interesting to see them but for most players it would be a lot more useful to have a single indicator that shows overall server performance. Matso writes about it in this post.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    If you refresh servers, some normal sized servers jump from 100% to 60,70 and 100% again. I expected to show an average number like 95% or so.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Another useful thing would be a similar indicator like the red plug that shows connection issues, but a separate one for server performance. So if a server drops below a certain performance threshold, you get an indicator that the server is having performance issues. How many times have you heard "Anyone else getting lag?" in a pub.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Some servers use modified server rates. How does that work with the performance indicator? If a server runs at higher rates but can't maintain those due to high load, how will that show up in the browser? It might still perform at default rates.

Rates above 30 are effectively ignored in the server browser. Anything above 30 is shown as 100%.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since tick rate is just ai could you lower it to 20 and show up fine in browser?
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    james888 wrote: »
    Since tick rate is just ai could you lower it to 20 and show up fine in browser?

I'm sure it will still show but it won't cheat the browser, that should make it go no higher than 67%.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Its interisting that the rate for ai is used for performancetracking.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    dePARA wrote: »
    Its interisting that the rate for ai is used for performancetracking.

Thats mostly for historical reasons, because it was just the most simple metric to be used. But there are plans for better performance tracking in the future