267 CPU/GPU performance

MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
Firstly, 267 feels much smoother and it's a joy to play. The more I play it the more I'm impressed.

Secondly, for what it's worth here's a screenie of CPU and GPU usage during a game on Woozas (leave your small mind at the door, please) with 32 players, end-game, Mineshaft, with an assault on Deposit. I'd say roughly 3/4 of the players were present (people in the spawn queue, etc).

Relevant info:
System: Res - 2560x1600, CPU - 3970X @ 4.5, GPU - 3xGTX680 4GB, Storage - SSDs.
NS2: Maximum details, except Ambient Occlusion disabled. Texture Manager set to 2GB+. Physics Multithreading on. DX9.

I didn't record FPS over time (though I may do this next) as initially I had this open to watch effect of the physics multithreading, but it was largely capped at 60fps (going by 'fps' console in NS2) except for occasional drops. Woozas currently has connection problems with ISP, so hard to say if these are client side++, server, or connection at the moment. The screenie is a guide for resource usage.

++ In the past I've had hitching even while CPU and GPU usage remains < 99%. 267 seems to have reduced this.

ns2.png

Interesting to note VRAM usage peaks, but remember this is 1600p. SLI Scaling is excellent. CPU usage is also distributed well, with just a few peaks hitting single-threaded max on core 1 at end-game.

Unrelated, but for those wondering about temps and power level: first two cards are water-cooled, and of different brand than the third.

Comments

• MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Martigen wrote: »
    Secondly, for what it's worth here's a screenie of CPU and GPU usage during a game on Woozas (leave your small mind at the door, please) with 32 players,
    It would be small minded to suggest that the client doesn't experience a loss in performance due to larger, and unsupported, entity counts.
    That's exactly my point -- despite being above 'supported' 24 players, it clearly scales remarkably well. I find this result interesting, don't you?

And as noted, it's a testament to the engine and the work in 267 to increase performance, specifically late-game. The CDT asked us to test the new multi-threaded physics and report back, so I fired up Windows task manager and Inspector's GPU graphs for a game, and was impressed. I hope I'm not wrong, but I thought the CDT might appreciate seeing how it scales on a 6-core when pushed to high loads.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Those results are not reliable.
    That's nonsensical. They show how the engine is scaling for that given load, regardless if it's 'supported' or not. They are what they are.

I'd like to think the CDT would find it informative as a use case. Running software beyond spec can help reveal issues that can impact when it's run within spec.

• RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's what i've always been saying. If worst case scenario works well, normal games will too. Plus you might find things that don't even get revealed in normal spec game, but also affect it still.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would agree with Ironhorse that the results are not reliable if you look at is as a measure of the patch in regards for the serversizes they do support. But I also agree that it's interesting that the patch has done so well for the server sizes that it isn't aiming to help out.

I think that the few servers that support the very large player count is fine for some players, and I enjoy it once in a while as well, and if the recent patch makes both the main servers and also the few large player count servers happy, then that's great.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Martigen wrote: »
    The CDT asked us to test the new multi-threaded physics and report back
    Yes we have, but let me clarify this a bit:

I agree that testing far ends of the spectrum - even if the conditions are beyond a practical scope - is typically a good idea to see where we can expect things to break.
    But , in this particular instance what we need more is your specs (which you provided) and comparison pics of multithreaded turned on and off in a similar (ideally the same) late game scenario that is within the supported and intended limitations (24 players or less). You can do so with hand made graphs, or simply submit plogs. (instructions in 267 thread)

This is to asses whether it's worth the risk of potential bugs so that maybe one day we can default it to on for all users, provided the data you share demonstrates worthy results of course.

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The frametime graph is also more interesting, all that can be said with your measures is that ns2 does indeed use the cpu and gpu, but does it do so efficiently/correctly?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    Do we have average fps stats from pre-267 to compare to the current build?
    The hitching reduction is undeniable, though I've had several people comment on how the overall FPS appears to have taken a hit. Hard to say whether this is an actual overall fps reduction or due to some other kind of 'hitchy' behaviour (or if its just people's imagination )
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Asraniel wrote: »
    The frametime graph is also more interesting, all that can be said with your measures is that ns2 does indeed use the cpu and gpu, but does it do so efficiently/correctly?

@Martigen

I would also like to see a frametime graph for your rig. And if you can, try one with ambient occlusion on. I also have Tri-SLI and get amazing scaling in NS2 (partially due to my insistence with Nvidia to standardize and implement proper SLI bits which I researched!).

Check out my thread here (GPU BOUND Hitching (frametime disparity w/ higher GPU load)): I am documenting the last remaining hitches in NS2 and it would be great if you could contribute similar data.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do we have average fps stats from pre-267 to compare to the current build?
    The hitching reduction is undeniable, though I've had several people comment on how the overall FPS appears to have taken a hit. Hard to say whether this is an actual overall fps reduction or due to some other kind of 'hitchy' behaviour (or if its just people's imagination )

It also heavily depends on the player demands. I remember so many moments where we were sitting in front of some computer playing some game and it was running like crap. I've asked if really low framerate is bothering anyon, because it was hurting my eyes. And it was ok to the rest. I was the only one noticing it and being annoyed by it.

Same is here. I can sense when mouse motion changes from absolutely fluid (start games) into micro sluggish (mid and end game). And that's so horribly annoying it's still driving me nuts even with 267 update. It's like trying to hit a coin at 2km distance with a sniper rifle made out of jelly. It just feels wrong. 267 has slightly posponed this behavior, but not by much. It's the 80fps that feel like 25fps thing. Can't explain it any other way, because FPS counter is still showing really high framerate despite endgame slowdowns, but my eyes are registering motion that doesn't fit that framerate.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    RejZoR wrote: »
    It's like trying to hit a coin at 2km distance with a sniper rifle made out of jelly. It just feels wrong. 267 has slightly posponed this behavior, but not by much. It's the 80fps that feel like 25fps thing. Can't explain it any other way, because FPS counter is still showing really high framerate despite endgame slowdowns, but my eyes are registering motion that doesn't fit that framerate.

Yeah, that summarizes my feelings accurately. First, when I started playing, I thought it's my old age starting influencing me, but then I tried some other shooters and it was not quite so bad. I trained myself to ignore it, and play occasionally for the relief, not to win.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Martigen, while I fundamentally disagree with you on larger servers, I think the guys are actually being unreasonably harsh on you here. What you're doing is providing some data which supports the work that has been done, and that is only a positive thing, I think. p_logall data in paired tests with and without multithreaded physics would be more useful, it's true, and I'm sure they would be (more) grateful if you were to provide that.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Exactly what Roo said. ;)
    Didn't mean to sound harsh, we just badly need data that's within a specific parameter.