[Question] Texturing a weapon

RoyalRampageRoyalRampage Sydney Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194250Members, Reinforced - Supporter
I've been trying to re-texture the rifle for personal use, and I cannot seem to get it to load within the game. I use GIMP2 to alter the various types of rifle.dds files.

I've used other peoples mods as a reference for publishing.
As in; one of the mods put the rifle.material, rifle.illum.dds, rifle_view.dds, rifle_view_illum.dds all into the /output/models/marine/rifle

I dd exactly this, replacing the normal .dds with my own version of the .dds files. Then when I publish, launch, activate, then jump into sandbox mode I have the default rifle.

Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    The model you see in first person is "rifle_view", "rifle" is used for dropped weapons ;) Also make sure your mod did pass the consistency check of the server !
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    What file have you replaced?

rifle_view.dds is for the view model you see in your hands, rifle.dds is for the rifle that is held by other players.

I am guessing you have replaced rifle.dds, thus you can't see the gun because it is other players guns you have changed. Add a marine bot and you will probably see their gun is correct.

Please note, I haven't been modding NS2 for the last 4 months, so I may have that a bit wrong, but you should look at that kind of error.
  • RoyalRampageRoyalRampage Sydney Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194250Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I just joined a server, and it's working.. For some reason it doesn't work in singleplayer :(
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    I just joined a server, and it's working.. For some reason it doesn't work in singleplayer :(

Did you launch the game via launchpad?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    When you say singleplayer, do you mean the Training mode? It won't work in there because the mod doesn't load. It would work if you created a local server.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    It would work if you created a local server.

Nobody knows how to do that, you're being mean!!!! :(
    ??? How can you not know how to create a server? It's an option in the menu...

Click Play Game
    Click on 3rd Tab (Forget what it is called)
    Then pick a map and go...

It's that easy :)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    ??? How can you not know how to create a server? It's an option in the menu...

Click Play Game
    Click on 3rd Tab (Forget what it is called)
    Then pick a map and go...

It's that easy :)

...shutup :)
  • RoyalRampageRoyalRampage Sydney Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194250Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Did you launch the game via launchpad?

Nah, just normally through Steam.
    When you say singleplayer, do you mean the Training mode? It won't work in there because the mod doesn't load. It would work if you created a local server.
    Yeah, I was doing it Sandbox. And I know how to do local server, just haven't tried it that way :P

edited August 2014
    Ok here is how you normally should test a mod locally ;)

Open your Mod in Launchpad -> Click at Launch Game (make sure your mod files are in the output folder) -> Start up a local server.

Sandbox mode is btw also ok for non gamecode testing :)

But better use a local server as you have full controll over everything there, btw "sandbox mode" with cheats:

cheats 1 -> alltech -> autobuild -> pres -> tres

A full list of all command can be found here: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Console_Commands

Have Fun :D
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Pfff. new mod, surely you need noone. Mine is to awesome! Its purple! :P

Serious now...
    * Rifle texture edits for the viewmodel only require a modded "rifle_view.dds" which should be placed in "YourRifleMod\output\models\marine\rifle".
    * The RECENT 'rifle_view.dds' is made of both the normal rifle (top) and the kodiak rifle (bottom). You should only edit the top one as the kodiak riffle is different.
    * Save dds in DXT5RGBA, sometimes DXT3. Not all dds formats work ingame!
    * UWE servers will 100% allow _view mods. Many others servers do not. (although specifically the _view model shouldn't be a issue as abuse is near non-existent).
    * upon loading game with the mod loaded, your console should either show the mod mounts OR is disabled due to consistency. The disabled is to be expected on many public or nsl servers.
    * Note that, last I checked, there still is a texture bug where part of the kodiak texture is visible on the normal rifle. Depending on your custom texture you may or may not notice this more easy.
    Pfff. new mod, surely you need noone. Mine is to awesome! Its purple! :P

Serious now...
    * Rifle texture edits for the viewmodel only require a modded "rifle_view.dds" which should be placed in "YourRifleMod\output\models\marine\rifle".
    * The RECENT 'rifle_view.dds' is made of both the normal rifle (top) and the kodiak rifle (bottom). You should only edit the top one as the kodiak riffle is different.
    * Save dds in DXT5RGBA, sometimes DXT3. Not all dds formats work ingame!
    * UWE servers will 100% allow _view mods. Many others servers do not. (although specifically the _view model shouldn't be a issue as abuse is near non-existent).
    * upon loading game with the mod loaded, your console should either show the mod mounts OR is disabled due to consistency. The disabled is to be expected on many public or nsl servers.
    * Note that, last I checked, there still is a texture bug where part of the kodiak texture is visible on the normal rifle. Depending on your custom texture you may or may not notice this more easy.

Thanks for the info.
    Ok here is how you normally should test a mod locally ;)

Open your Mod in Launchpad -> Click at Launch Game (make sure your mod files are in the output folder) -> Start up a local server.

Sandbox mode is btw also ok for non gamecode testing :)

But better use a local server as you have full controll over everything there, btw "sandbox mode" with cheats:

cheats 1 -> alltech -> autobuild -> pres -> tres

A full list of all command can be found here: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Console_Commands

Have Fun :D

It works. Thanks.