Gorge Tunnel hit boxes are too small

DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
edited August 2014 in Technical Support
I have noticed in general that it's very hard to hit a tunnel from a distance, unless you can get above and shoot downwards.

Here is what collision shows. I shot some bullets in the first screenshot that all missed.

B2f880t.jpg

b3bTKfl.jpg

edit: Video

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    In NS2, the hitbox is the model itself. The collision is just do do with physics interations with players and other moving items. As I have shown with my gorgecraft mod, and xDragon showed with his gorgezilla mod before that, changing size of the model changes the hitbox perfectly. The hitbox and model are one :)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited August 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    In NS2, the hitbox is the model itself. The collision is just do do with physics interations with players and other moving items. As I have shown with my gorgecraft mod, and xDragon showed with his gorgezilla mod before that, changing size of the model changes the hitbox perfectly. The hitbox and model are one :)

Here's a video with hive and eggs for comparison.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Last I checked you fire from your actual weapon. (not checked in code but by trial/error in the game)
    So this means that you shoot diagonally from your weapon to the center.

So this makes me wonder.. if we would draw a line from center to the weapon in 3d (so not a 2d picture)... would that line actually cross the model, thereby registering a hit?

Perhaps im spouting nonsense here, but I found in other firing tests that its slightly direction biased.
    Regardless of how the gun is angled or where shots start from, they always land underneath the crosshair no matter what the range (unless super close).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    I doubt very much this is a hitbox issue, as the hitbox IS the model. I can't see clearly on the video, but are you aiming at animated areas? The animated areas move, and you can miss them as they are moving. Yes the hitboxes are that specific.

Of course, it could be an obscure hitreg issue, but without a high-quality video which can be slowed down and examined frame by frame, there is not a lot of investigative work that can be done.

I don't doubt you are sensing something 'off', as I feel that way about a lot of aspects of NS2, but I personally don't think it is a hitbox issue.

If you had a Xhair for example, we could see if you are actually targetting the areas correctly...
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Use a pistol to confirm the hitboxes, and stand a bit farther back. Destroy the naysayers!
    I have a dot crosshair in the video. If you go to 720p you should see it.

I'm not sure which of us is taking crazy pills... But I can't see how to make the issue any more visible. Can someone go and try shooting through one of the tunnel tentacles or the flaps and see if it does damage, to make sure it isn't just me.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Of course, it could be an obscure hitreg issue, but without a high-quality video which can be slowed down and examined frame by frame, there is not a lot of investigative work that can be done.

720p seems like it should be a high enough quality of video. I saw clearly what @Desther‌ was tryin to show. If the models are the hit boxes, then it would seem that surely the shots he was firing should have registered.

:-?
    It's not an if, the engine was specifically designed to give absolutely accurate hitmodels. I can't be bothered to search but there are videos of the GorgeZilla mod, which increased the size of the gorge in-game as he got more kills. As the Gorge grows, so does the hitbox completely. In GorgeZilla, the collision isn't modified, however in my mods, model size and collision are modified.

The Spark engine is designed to use models as hitboxes. Using the collision overlay only shows collision boxes and not hitboxes, because the models are the hitbox. Trust me, we went all over this during Beta.

I am not denying there is an issue, I am just explaining, it is probably not a hitbox issue. Try it with other alien buildings, are there any issues?
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    It's not an if, the engine was specifically designed to give absolutely accurate hitmodels. I can't be bothered to search but there are videos of the GorgeZilla mod, which increased the size of the gorge in-game as he got more kills. As the Gorge grows, so does the hitbox completely. In GorgeZilla, the collision isn't modified, however in my mods, model size and collision are modified.

The Spark engine is designed to use models as hitboxes. Using the collision overlay only shows collision boxes and not hitboxes, because the models are the hitbox. Trust me, we went all over this during Beta.

I am not denying there is an issue, I am just explaining, it is probably not a hitbox issue. Try it with other alien buildings, are there any issues?

Sorry, but given the NS2+ volcano shift bug, i can safely say this isn't entirely accurate. The shifts wern't coming up through the ground, but they could still take damage if the area they were supposed to be was hit. if the visual model was the hitbox this wouldn't have been possible. (I also placed the bugged shift in "generator", where the model was visible in the vent under the stairs... it took no damage if shot at).
    I've also noticed the issue with gorge tunnels when i've attempted to shoot across the tunnel at the far end flaps (as to ensure any aliens coming through were instantly shot).
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Maybe it's not an issue w/ the gorge model. I saw in the video, bullets going thru the "model" without reggin hits. Hence my "if" because, from what I saw, the model was being shot. You're saying it's supposed to be bound to the model itself, so why wasn't it registering when the model got hit? Hive and Tunnel both.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    There are most definitely hitbox issues with the gorge tunnel - this is a known issue - but it's not a new bug with 267 as it's been reported for over a year now. ;)
    I'll increase the priority placed on it though, as only having position enough to see one portion of the gorge tunnel model can be a linchpin in tense gameplay scenarios.