[TOOL] Custom layer colors!

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited August 2014 in Mapping
Hey everybody.

@F0rdPrefect‌ requested a way to choose more layer colors than the default 7 (or 8 depending on how you count it :) )

So here you go! An external tool to do just that. Link at bottom, AFTER DISCLAIMER AND WARNING!!!!
886424d7cd212c7f392b886638c99b.jpg

Installation:
1)Extract the JAR wherever you want (I have mine in my "Natural Selection 2" directory).
2)Create a new BAT file in that same directory with this exact text:
"%~dp0\LayerRecolorer.jar" %1
3)In the editor, go to Tools->External Tools...
4)Click 'Add'
5)Title it whatever you want (I have mine set to "Layer Colorizer")
6)For "Command", navigate to where you've placed the EXE. THEN!!!!!!!! Add "" marks around the path, or it WILL NOT WORK.
7)For "Arguments", click the >, and choose "Item Path", then Add "" marks around that as well.

Here's what mine looks like:
8db888a1101b88016b939ab2a368e1.jpg

Usage:
Whenever you want to re-color your layers:
1) SAVE YOUR MAP FIRST. Cannot stress this enough. Also, Spark will open up a file save box if you haven't already saved your map.
2) Go to Tools->Layer Colorizer (or whatever you named it).
3) A panel with all the layer names and colors should pop up. Just press the buttons to bring up a color chooser.
a1d17ee60fa9d4f9eacf4abd54ae7b.jpg
4) Click "Save" to apply the changes to your map.
5) RELOAD your map in the editor. There's nothing I can do to make the changes automatically apply, so we'll have to do it this way.

WARNING: DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR MAP WHILE THE TOOL IS OPEN, THEN SAVE WITH THE TOOL. THIS could seriously f*** up your map beyond repair.

Why:
The way the tool works is it skips straight to the "layer chunk", and as it reads in each layer, makes a note of where in the file this layer's color resides (in bytes). If you make a change to the map that somehow shifts where the layer colors are, the tool has no way of knowing a change has occurred. So if you then save, it'll be overwriting the bytes where the color was previously stored but now stores God only knows what.

Disclaimer: I've tried my best to make this program as bug-free as possible... and it REALLY SHOULDN'T screw up your map unless you're doing something stupid with it... but nevertheless, be careful. Make frequent backups, and save often.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhk8ifdh8sn0rct/LayerRecolorer.zip
NEW LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dbc0sd90t9o5lt/LayerRecolorer.jar?dl=1

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited July 2014
    Will try it.

edit: @BeigeAlert‌ "This application was configured to use a bundled Java Runtime Environment but the runtime is missing or corrupted."

...after freshly installing Java and rebooting my PC.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Oh what the hell... yea that, and when it DOES run, and steam is running, the damn steam overlay gets plastered all over the interface... thanks steam!

Okay, I've updated the link with a .jar and a .bat instead of an .exe. That should solve both problems...