A confusing FPS drop

NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
So I've tried almost everything I can think up on my own on what I could do to fix this but basically not to long ago I upgraded my computer hard. Like my computer is super good right now.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Speed 3.4 GHz
Number of Cores 4

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 770
Dedicated Memory 3.1 GB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0

Plug and Play ID VEN_10DE&DEV_1184&SUBSYS_37743842&REV_A1
Driver Version 9.18.13.3788
Memory 16 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack 1
Size 64 Bit
Edition Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601
Locale 0409

BIOS BIOS Date: 12/02/13 10:58:36 Ver: 04.06.05
Version American Megatrends Inc. V1.6
Manufacturer American Megatrends Inc.
Date 12/02/13
Display Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
Sound Device 1 USB AUDIO
Driver Version 6.1.7601.18208
Sound Device 2 USB Audio Device
Driver Version 6.1.7601.18208
Sound Device 3 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver Version 1.3.30.1
Sound Device 4 Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver Version 6.0.1.6873
Sound Device 5 NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Driver Version
DVD ASUS DRW-24B1ST i ATA Device
CD ASUS DRW-24B1ST i ATA Device
Drive
Size 1.8 TB
Free 1.6 TB

I talked briefly with Ironhorse about it but I could not remember what file he said I needed to bring but here is what is happening. No matter the setting, even all minimal and on the lowest resolution my screen will let me set it too, I can barely get 40 fps early game even on an empty server. I've tried validating the files and doing a complete re-install but neither revealed anything and the problem persists. If you guys could lend me a hand it would be most appreciated as I've been very sad about not really being able to enjoy playing the game I know and love so much.

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Make a plog.

p_logall of a good example of a game/round when this occurs. You can type p_logall in the console and after the map changes it ends, or you can end it with p_endlog.

We'd also like a techsupport file by running techsupport.exe in your ns2 directory, but I suspect a plog will give more in your case.
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Where would I find the files after I've played the game and ran the executable?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    in your steam ns2 folder or your ns2 folder in your windows user profile
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'll get those for you guys later today. I have work till 11:30 pm my time so it may take me a bit ^_^
    Alright running the tech support exe but what would be the file name of the p_logall file?
    lol
    @Ironhorse we need you ^_^
    I got the zip from the exe fine but its the P_logall document that I'm having trouble finding. Oh yeah, my game crashed after the game went on real late so I'm not sure if that might interfere with the p_logall file
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2014
    It should be in the appdata/roaming/naturalselection2 folder. It's a .plog file.
    edited July 2014
    Alright! I found it and i have the zip file for the exe. I have the zip as an attachment here. I'm guessing I'll need to send the plog some other way. Who do I send the plog to?
    edited July 2014
    Do I just send the p_logall file to that technical support e-mail or what? ^_^
    you could do that, or you could wait for someone who knows how to check plogs reads this topic and does it.
    @Ironhorse should write that guide after next patch... right! /pokes
    lol alright then. I'll hang on to it until we get someone savvy in the ways of plog files over here. ^_^
    @Ironhorse where are you! ^_^ we are lost without you
    Heres the plog in a compressed zip
    If its needed I can also record a video of my game but that would drop the fps even further than the 30 fps it has given me since it started acting up
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Houston... we have a problem
    ngnLfUD.jpg

I honestly don't know where to even start after looking at that plog.. lol
    That looks unplayable.

You aren't OC'd.. you have recent GPU drivers.. Your hardware shouldn't be the issue unless something is faulty or incorrectly setup..
    Have you run CPU-z and confirmed that everything is running at the proper clock speed?
    Have you ran prime95 or any other stress performing apps to test the stability of your rig?
    What is running in the background, exactly? Run msconfig and ensure the startup tab only has boxes checked that you absolutely must have running.
    Are you running any AV?

Basically.. Something is gravely wrong, and it's not immediately apparent why. I choose Occam's Razor method of solving things and suggest that there is something setup incorrectly with your rig.. maybe its something as simple as bad ram.. maybe its the chipset drivers or lan drivers. You really gotta start from the ground up with a plog like that. All it's saying is that you are constantly lagging to update the game world -this could be network or CPU related.
    Start by eyeballing your CPU though, ensure it's doing what its supposed to be with CPU-z and prime95 - run them both at the same time, too. (maybe disable any power saving settings in bios like speedstep / EIST etc)
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yes, I agree with IronHorse: try to install some of the previous versions of nVidia driver, try to disable all energysaving functions in bios, check in Windows that your PC is under Performance profile (not Balanced or Power-saving), force the Performance mode in the Nvidia driver, and reinstall the NS2 on other drive or partition (or make a defragmentation).
    Alright I'll see what I can do. I've Installed both and ran them both. Mind you I'm not super tech savvy and I'm going to end up googling alot of the stuff you guys asked me for. Also, do you guys know how I could switch back to previous versions of the nVidia drivers. When I first set up the computer it ran NS2 like a beauty. Frame rate of 160 on max settings ^_^ Its why I was so depressed when it started doing this
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Nailo wrote: »
    Alright I'll see what I can do. I've Installed both and ran them both. Mind you I'm not super tech savvy and I'm going to end up googling alot of the stuff you guys asked me for. Also, do you guys know how I could switch back to previous versions of the nVidia drivers. When I first set up the computer it ran NS2 like a beauty. Frame rate of 160 on max settings ^_^ Its why I was so depressed when it started doing this

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_rollback.html

To find old driver setups go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx and select under "Recommended/Beta:" All. Then select the driver version you want to install and download and install it after you uninstalled the old version if you can't rollback ;)

Also i recommend to use CCleaner after each unistall to avoid conflics of files and registry entries.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Nailo wrote: »
    Also, what is AV?

AV = Anti Virus Software / Security Suite
    Alrighty then. AV is avast-free version because I'm cheap on lots of things lol. I'll start doing the heavy changes with the drivers and running the other stuff when I get off work around 3:30pm eastern time
    Also I have no idea what is the proper clock speed for my hardware. Will have to double check on that. msconfig shows only the very basic startup functions alongside avast and nVidias startup programs.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    3.4 ghz, as you mentioned in your first post. :D
    >.> yeah I pulled that informaton from a website that gather all that info together for me lol. I don't have that memorized or anything. Alright I'll rerun them again and see what speed they say they are running at :)
    edited July 2014
    Aha, we have something to check now. Cheers @Ironhorse. Time for me to open my big mouth.
    Before we start reinstalling all these things lets start with something more basic shall we?

Do not yet disable or enable any bios settings. While it may help us in a later phase of testing, your problem should not exist even with power savings. (We will keep it in mind shall we?)

CPU
    * Open task manager, and go to the performance tab. There should be a button on the bottom right which opens the performance monitor.
    * Select the process tab, keep this windows open and run ns2 for a short while.
    * Close ns2 and check the window. It has a graph for cpu frequency. (the blue line). Do NOT look at cpu usage. If your cpu did not reach or go over 100% frequency you probably have a temperature or cpu issue.
    - This does not test stability, which takes longer!
    (edit just make pics of everything)

Memory
    * real memory tests take long. This shall (not yet) be a real memtest!
    * Keep the memory tab open and replay ns2. Quit ns2 and check the window as with the cpu test.
    * report all 3 graphs, pictures can help.

Disk
    * go to the disk tab and again, run the game.
    * close and check disk tab. The middle window has a reaction time in ms window. Sort this by clicking it and report. (picture helps)
    * The bottom window has a queue length column. Click to sort and make another picture. A queue length close to or higher then 1.00 is a BIG problem.

When in doubt, pictures!
    If you feel confident you can reinstall drivers and repeat all the above steps.
    If you feel really confident you can change power savings settings and repeat them again.
    alright Here is what I get DC_Darkling when I open up task manager. Mine has resource moniter instead of performance and I'm assuming the overview tab is the process tab for you?
    edited July 2014
    yes that resource monitor is what we want.
    CPU, memory and disk tabs. make screens of all during/after play.

dont forget to order the columns in the windows requested.
    Alright
    I got pics and lots of them
    At the start of the game during loading, from there on, to the very end, and the last one I have is slightly after I stopped ns2
    Hopefully I have the right stuff up for you, if not then I'll just start over running another round
    The pics are in order hopefully
    edited July 2014
    /slaps.
    you didnt screenshot the ms and queue lengths of the harddisk menu. But it seems we do not need.

Look at your own pictures and look at cpu frequency graph, the blue line.. It doesn't really breach 36% ever. This means you are only using 36% maximum of your 3.4GHz. (so around 1.2Ghz)
    You are using this for 100% (see cpu usage) but the cpu simply doesnt run as hard as it can.

This is usually a heating problem. The cpu isnt cooled enough so it gets downclocked to the point where the cpu is within heat spec.
    * Check any dust in cooling fans, remove.
    * You are using a non stock cooling, the standard intel cooling is crap.
    * The cooling is correctly applied. (paste etc)
    * Plenty airflow.

It can also be a broken motherboard, cpu or bios! However it is much less often! But it IS still quite possible.

>quick edit for info..
    power savings can not cause this unless the bios is utter crap. While hardware with bad drivers can be influenced on power savings, cpu use shipped drivers which are tested with power savings in mind. It is there for unlikely that power savings would cause this problem. However when in doubt, easy to test by disabling.