[Linux] Game crash when shooting

1235»

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I see no one responded to @confused 's suggestion of running with a decal limit of 0

Can those who are having this problem please go to your options in game and try this?
    Thank you
  • Rad30nRad30n PT Join Date: 2013-11-13 Member: 189351Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I see no one responded to @confused 's suggestion of running with a decal limit of 0

Can those who are having this problem please go to your options in game and try this?
    Thank you

No change. I've posted my full config in a previous post and I've always had decals at 0 as I have a low-end GPU.
  • liamdaweliamdawe Join Date: 2009-09-27 Member: 68885Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I only just installed the game on a fresh PC, so i can't see how it would be old shader cache.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    Hrmm. So I guess the obvious choice is for me to post my settings and see if they work for you guys. I'm running the following:

1090T Phenom II x6
    16gb RAM
    GT 610, 1GB

ubuntu 13.10
    nvidia 331.38 drivers direct downloaded from their site.
    the 3.12 kernel from the ubuntu kernel ppa

http://pastebin.com/3SN9uR74 is my system options if it helps.

http://pastebin.com/QhkNW8Wv sysinfo.

rkfg wrote: »
    BTW why not to remove the shader and maps cache completely on the game update (it's to the devs of course)? It should be regenerated anyway and I can assume if it's creating issues. I looked up my directory and found there files with timestamps of Jan 20 while the latest build was released a couple of days ago.

All those crashes are inside the NVIDIA driver so it's being fed with invalid data. Could it be just outdated shaders from the cache? What else can be so different that it works on one installation and crashes on another? You may also try to create a separate user, install Steam and NS2 on it and try to shoot some skulks there. This way you can be pretty sure that no previous launches or other stuff hinders the game. The only place Steam and NS2 can write data is your homedir so create a clean one and see if it helps.

So... some interesting discoveries. Today I tried to create a new user, install NS2 again on it... and no crash!

So I went back to my normal user, deleted ~/.nv (nvidia shader cache), ~/.config/Natural Selection 2 (ns cache and settings) and deleted the game, and reinstalled, and still crash.

Is data stored anywhere else? I'm glad to see that this may be some old setting but it'll be a pain to constantly have to switch user to play ns2.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Noowww you just made things more complicated ;)
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    @Rad30n It may be some settings of the NVIDIA driver, they're stored in ~/.nvidia-settings-rc, ~/.nv and maybe somewhere else. Look into ~/.nv — I didn't know it before but on my system it contains some GLCache and ComputeCache dirs, what could it be? Anyway, you can safely delete them, everything in your homedir is either your own data or just mere settings of other apps, none of them are crucial to system stability. Sorry, missed that part in your post where you said you already deleted them. Okay.

If that didn't help, here's the plan: you have the 100% reproducible crash, right? So you can test it in a blink of an eye. Copy one ~/.* dir (and files) at a time to your new user directory and test the game. When it crashes, you may look into that dir further. I'd start with ~/.gconf* ~/.gnome* and so on, DE's may lead to various issues just like on Windows™.
    rkfg wrote: »
    If that didn't help, here's the plan: you have the 100% reproducible crash, right? So you can test it in a blink of an eye. Copy one ~/.* dir (and files) at a time to your new user directory and test the game. When it crashes, you may look into that dir further. I'd start with ~/.gconf* ~/.gnome* and so on, DE's may lead to various issues just like on Windows™.

Yeah, I'll try that.

But finally playing with the freshly created user yesterday also showed that my 9800GT is not enough for a good experience, and I've been thinking of upgrading my GPU next month (probably get the new GTX 750 Ti), so I'll wait until I have the new GPU in place.
  • apostateapostate Denver Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194236Members
    I don't know if this is the same issue, but I just purchased the game on Kubuntu Saucy, and when I try to fire (left click) my avatar spins around about 45 degrees clockwise and looks at the floor or ceiling. It's pretty important that I be able to you know, left-click in this game, so this pretty much makes this thing unplayable. It wasn't marked as a Beta or anything in Steam, so I paid good money for it. Kinda annoyed.

Changing the "shoot" key binding has no effect. Enabling or disabled Raw input, no effect.

Using Nvidia stable drivers from Saucy.
    @apostate I don't believe you're seeing the same issue, it's probably better to report it separately -- if this thread turns into "all issues with ns2 on linux ever" it won't help the devs and they probably won't be able to identify all the issues.
  • victortvictort Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188078Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    so weird, i've seen this problem exactly once. and have been playing since NS2 was released for Linux. It was just when the kodiak update came out. but then my client realized there was an update, and when the update finished, i never saw it again..

i thought it was a freak accident when it crashed like that. but it's never done it before, and it hasn't done it since..

weeeeiiirrrrddd.... been playing fine every night
  • ScoupScoup Brasil Join Date: 2014-07-03 Member: 197193Members
    edited July 2014
    I needed to change my hdd and installed ubuntu 14.04 (I was using 12.04) and I started to get the same crash issue (nvidia gtx 660). I did a fresh install of ns2.
    I deleted this folders:

$HOME/.config/Natural Selection 2/cache
    $SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/core/lua
    $SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/lua

Asked Steam to verify integrity of files
    (Steam -> Library -> NS2 (right button) -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache)

Restarted PC and the crash when shooting with marine was gone.

That what happened to me, I have no idea why, I was looking for the "optimization options" , like this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/846963165518312045/
    And saw about the lua files, so did a try.

The crash envolving still there, but this workaround works:
    - Enter in training sandbox game
    - Low all resolutions and effects
    - Envolve all alien forms (if you crash here you can try again until envolve without crash)
    - Back the graphics options and play without problem until restart
  • VantskruvVantskruv Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166678Members
    It saddens me this bug is still here. Have not been able to play this game at all, and I was trying today expecting the bugs where solved, but no. :(
  • VantskruvVantskruv Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166678Members
    Strange everything is. I don't know if did some right or wrong. The crashes disappeared after have been trying out some things. I tried to check any differences in game folders in the Steam folder and the users folder in the ~/.config folder (I did a copy of all the game-files to compare with after a complete purge and reinstall), I noticed the folder fontconfig was created in the game folder when starting the game. I removed it directly after I spawned in the tutorial hall where you choose marine or alien. There was no crash, I did the same procedure several times restarting the game. Then I tried not to remove the folder, the game still didn't crash.

I'm guessing this is not the problem, and I only was lucky. Probably the game will crash sooner or later again. But I hoping not, and that the files in fontconfig may be the cause (easily get corrupted when generated...). Please, please say I'm right!

I felt obliged just to post this.
    Thanks @Vantskruv‌
    We have @murray‌ now on our development team to work on issues like these.
    Feel free to provide any Linux related issues or solutions you encounter in the future ;)
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey, some completely unrelated things here! Take a look at this trace: http://pastebin.com/4zWyG1Q3

Looks familiar, doesn't it? Yet, it's another game on another engine. More specifically, Sanctum 2 on UE3 that's being ported by Ryan C. Gordon. It's not fixed yet, but I hope it will give some thoughts to the CDT members. Because some people on the Steam forums have this particular bug.