ns2_eclipse, 8 months later

2»

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    There are many alternatives to phase tech, infact I rarely go phase tech myself - But obviously there's always going to be superior phasegate positions on every map, no matter how well you design it.

This sounds like it's a bad thing. It isn't. If PG locations weren't superior to certain other locations there would be not strategy. It's bad when a location is so powerful that it's broken, but then it's a balance issue. If you, on the other hand, need such a powerful position to make the game even, then it's just bad game design.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    @FordPrefect That's the point I was trying to make, thanks.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still hate the aesthetic.

A lot of NS2 maps contain sections that look like they are slathered in vegetable oil, but eclipse is ridiculously bad all over. Disabling reflections is a big improvement. Turning off specular would be an even larger improvement. If nothing else, reduce the specular sharpness and add some grunge/dirt to the alpha channel of the specular.

It's not eclipse if you make it It's yellow and gun-metal gray. It doesn't have to be an exact remake of Eclipse, but it's just not Eclipse without the mars skybox, the pink walls and the grating floors.

The map still empties servers if it comes up by some freak accident, so I can't tell you how well it plays.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Skyscraper gorge plushie puts a hex on the marine team at teh start of every round
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Would be great to know if CDT is going to do any work on this map???
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ReapMyster wrote: »

On the same note, I'd love to know if they have plans to do some work on some of the underplayed maps, like Mineshaft (I'd love to see that one longs corridor straight from repair to cave go away, I feel it would improve the map a lot)
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    It's still as unbalanced as in the beginning.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Benson wrote: »

On the same note, I'd love to know if they have plans to do some work on some of the underplayed maps, like Mineshaft (I'd love to see that one longs corridor straight from repair to cave go away, I feel it would improve the map a lot)

Don't think of the CDT as one hive mind that follows one direction only. Yes there are CDT wide decisions being done, but they are mostly based on what the members of the CDT actually want to work on. Nobody will say "hei mappers, you ahve to work on eclipse now", thats not how it works.
    This also means, if there is any community mapper that wants to pick up eclipse and improve it, and that work is considered of high enough quality, there is on principle no reason it could not get integrated into vanilla. Yes, some discussions will be had with the original mapper/s. Simply remember, the CDT is not a closed off group, its the COMMUNITY development team. The people in the CDT just happen to have more access to the source code etc, but contributions can come from everybody.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Asraniel wrote: »

Don't think of the CDT as one hive mind that follows one direction only. Yes there are CDT wide decisions being done, but they are mostly based on what the members of the CDT actually want to work on.

This is proof that the CDT is made up of actual humans (possibly marines) as opposed to Kharaa.
    And they're definitely developing publicly.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I hope this map will be improved in the future, even if that is not the priority of the CDT and the mappers for now, something really understandable in my opinion, this map deserves to be more played on the public servers, and, why not, for the competitive. Just think don't leave this map fall when we know all the work done to release it and how much aesthetical this map is.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Every map plays different and that's part of the long term appeal, even more so when you find a commander who uses new and interesting tactics. Eclipse is brutal, but oh so much fun.
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Every map plays different and that's part of the long term appeal, even more so when you find a commander who uses new and interesting tactics. Eclipse is brutal, but oh so much fun.

Not sure about that. Eclipse somehow always plays the same.

I mean, do you know any valid strat except "Rush Power Sub"?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »

Not sure about that. Eclipse somehow always plays the same.

I mean, do you know any valid strat except "Rush Power Sub"?

the problem with rushing power sub is 8/10 times in pubs your marines dont hold any RTs. Power sub, as far as I'm concerned, is an over-extension and unless you have turrets, mines and PGs up in there fast, a decent team will punish you for it, as with any map.

Try setting up in Tjunction/keyhole ish areas, a 'layer' of the map back towards marine RTs. You'll hold your RTs much more easily and still have instant access to e.g. south loop RT. Or you can choose to arc power sub defenses from there and waste all their res. I've also seen horseshoe phase gates work well.

The left side is equally flexible.

Pubbers are still learning how to play this map. I kinda think they never really will.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To put it bluntly, if a map changes to eclipse, I leave or go commander. It's horrible to play early game as marine and horrible to play late game as alien.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »

Don't think of the CDT as one hive mind that follows one direction only. Yes there are CDT wide decisions being done, but they are mostly based on what the members of the CDT actually want to work on.

This is proof that the CDT is made up of actual humans (possibly marines) as opposed to Kharaa.
    And they're definitely developing publicly.

Showing motive for improving performance and perceived smoothness to make increase marine aim overall, similar to how lan effected world cup. Marines OP.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I like it more than kodiac :-SS
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually don't mind both maps, but haven't played on them much because they aren't voted in as often. I think the 24/7 map for 2 weeks sort of beat it out of people. It does require different strategies to play. I flash lerk the most in Eclipse due to the long corridors (may be because I suck at lerking). But they are new maps that require new strategies. I will say though, the classic 4 tech point maps are harder to balance as you can prevent Kharaa getting max tech if you can hold out one of the other tech points, this mainly affects pub play as people don't know how to coordinate a push. Just my 2c.
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    To put it bluntly, if a map changes to eclipse, I leave or go commander. It's horrible to play early game as marine and horrible to play late game as alien.
    I either -
    Go alien, dont bother chewing RTs and just keep marines out of power sub, south loop and maint. until I can afford onos (all other lifeforms severely gimped by tiny corridors. At least an onos is meant to tank bullet walls.) You can usually win like this unless your team has downs syndrome.

or

Go marines and live exclusively to lane block/ guard RTs because current eclipse meta is "marines MUST hold a PG right outside alien base and let the aliens chew everything else to bits". Access alpha is almost indefensible so I just spend all my PRES on mines for the maint. vents and the ambush spots either side of the RT - "Who the HELL puts a mine THERE you sadistic pervert!?" :P

Marines may as well not have any naturals, the ones they have are a) miles away from marine start, b) not connected to eachother in any decent way other than triad-access, and c) all within pissing distance of an alien hive.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    There are line of sight obstructions in just about every corner in the map for a marine, either through map geometry or the crates/destruction in the map.

Triad is a nightmare for your average marine due to how obstructed line of sight is, the random destruction making it harder for marine positioning and assaulting an alien rt.
    U4kuZxnl.jpg

Not even outside of the marine base is safe for the marines, there are line of sight obstructions there which makes it easier for the alien team to deny triad from the marines at the start of the game.

p3qhgBwl.jpg

More needless crates there to make it harder to track aliens.
    B0Goh6dl.jpg
    nKEGzPGl.jpg

P.S. Please fix. :P
    I agree that many, many rooms need a significant rework.

So many places are just way too cramped for marines- there is basically one 2x2ft patch of floor in triad that isnt a dangerzone, just in the doorway at the bottom of the stairs. And even that spot is horrible.