Gorge tunnel building questions.

TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
I thought a gorge had to build both the entrance and the exit to a tunnel for it to work. But last night I could swear I had only dropped one tunnel in the middle of the map and while running south to another part of the map I saw my tunnel was going north to another hive?

I guess another gorge could have dropped one right next to mine and I was confused.

Can someone explain how tunnel entrances interact with other player tunnels and each-other?
Can you recycle other players tunnels?
Is there a limit to tunnels based on number of players or could you have like 8 tunnels going?
Are there exploits I should be aware of?

Comments

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @TinCan As far as I remember, you can't use someone else's tunnel. It may be possible you did drop one end at the hive (I know I do it on instinct now at the start of a map and I am going gorge). Also, the way the lines are for the tunnels, it can get confusing when tunnel lines cross, and you can't tell which tunnel leads where if there are many dropped. So in short, your tunnel(s) do not interact with other players. I don't think you can recycle other players tunnels. There is no limit on the number of tunnels on the map. Each gorge is allow to drop 2 (entrance / exit). They don't disappear on death, so it is possible to have 8 tunnels (entrance and exit) on a 8 players a side game.

No Exploit as such, but I have read on the forums, you can trap and therefore kill players if they are in the tunnel and you destroy both ends of it. There is also a really OP use of tunnels in this video:

super funny
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    tunnels are totally personal. You will never link your tunnel to someone else.
    So you must have placed both exits yourself at one point indeed.

perhaps a weird server mod?
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Can someone explain how tunnel entrances interact with other player tunnels and each-other?
    they connect to each other and dont interact with other player's tunnels
    Can you recycle other players tunnels?
    no but u can recycle clogs (to avoid blocking)
    Is there a limit to tunnels based on number of players or could you have like 8 tunnels going?
    there is no technical limit (but there is cost / benefit for team pres management from a strategic viewpoint)
    Are there exploits I should be aware of?
    its very funny to build 1 exit on a small ledge over some huge cliff and then lure marines into your entrance. see video above :):) .
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    Only thing to add is if you are on a comp mod server the tunnel entrance and exit are 2 different buttons 5 & 6. They idea behind this is that you can move either the entrance or exit as needed throughout the game (eg fwd base or new hive).