How to Help NS2 by Driving Up Accessibility for Some People

2»

Comments

• WaterfiendWaterfiend Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187543Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To be frank, I am running the game on a E8400 (3GHz dual core with a standard heat sink and fan) with 8G ram, and on a Asus GT650. I do play with all graphics set to low (but the game still looks good). I average probably 60ish fps til mid game, and drop to 20-30 late game. It is still playable. If I command, then the fps drop isn't as bad.

I'm using a Intel Core i5 processor 430m (2.26 GHz, 3MB L3 cahce)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 up to 4083 MB HyperMemorey
    8 GB Memorey (RAM)
    1000 GB HDD
    And 1 TB hard drive

... And I lag quite a bit. At the MOST, I can get 12 fps in the morning, on a busy day while 300 people are online, and around 15-10 on a server AND I just restarted my computer, as I usually have tabs opened for research and stuff on browser. Otherwise I get 3-4 FPS. 8 at teh VERY most, if only one of those things is wrong.
    For me, it's mostly the processor that is not up to stuff.

Also, with who can run the game (Note, this is more so that I don't make another post at the end of this thread, so it's like 2 posts in one):

If someone is going to buy a decent PC for gaming, they can run it. If they are casual about their experience with PC games (moderate cost in a computer), they won't be successful.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Waterfiend wrote: »
    To be frank, I am running the game on a E8400 (3GHz dual core with a standard heat sink and fan) with 8G ram, and on a Asus GT650. I do play with all graphics set to low (but the game still looks good). I average probably 60ish fps til mid game, and drop to 20-30 late game. It is still playable. If I command, then the fps drop isn't as bad.

8 GB Memorey (RAM)
    1000 GB HDD
    And 1 TB hard drive

... And I lag quite a bit. At the MOST, I can get 12 fps in the morning, on a busy day while 300 people are online, and around 15-10 on a server AND I just restarted my computer, as I usually have tabs opened for research and stuff on browser. Otherwise I get 3-4 FPS. 8 at teh VERY most, if only one of those things is wrong.

Also, with who can run the game (Note, this is more so that I don't make another post at the end of this thread, so it's like 2 posts in one):

If someone is going to buy a decent PC for gaming, they can run it. If they are casual about their experience with PC games (moderate cost in a computer), they won't be successful.

Sorry to hear the game doesn't work well for you. I have read some where in the tech thread, NS2 isn't optimised to run multi core, so my dual core at 3Gz is going to trump your i5 at 2.26 GHz. That might explain your low fps. Also, I think your lap top(?) gpu isn't going to cut the mustard. Even before all the optimising (I got the game when it first came out), my fps wasn't as bad as yours.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

8 GB Memorey (RAM)
    1000 GB HDD
    And 1 TB hard drive

Its your gpu mostly, not your cpu. I have played on slower cpu's with faster gpu's and had better results. I do know what it is like to play ns2 with 20 fps, and I couldn't take it for long.
  • BlobBlob Join Date: 2013-09-08 Member: 187999Members, Reinforced - Supporter

8 GB Memorey (RAM)
    1000 GB HDD
    And 1 TB hard drive

Many people don't know this. Some laptops have CPU that can turbo and increase their GHz. Only works if your battery is set to "high performance".
  • WaterfiendWaterfiend Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187543Members, Reinforced - Shadow

8 GB Memorey (RAM)
    1000 GB HDD
    And 1 TB hard drive

Sorry to hear the game doesn't work well for you. I have read some where in the tech thread, NS2 isn't optimised to run multi core, so my dual core at 3Gz is going to trump your i5 at 2.26 GHz. That might explain your low fps. Also, I think your lap top(?) gpu isn't going to cut the mustard. Even before all the optimising (I got the game when it first came out), my fps wasn't as bad as yours.

I used to have 3-4 fps when it first came out. I only get 20 fps on very light games like CS:GO (5 on 5 only, otherwise it lags). :(