Question about a bug, want to report an issue or what's being worked on? Ask away!

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @IronHorse‌
    ENGINE: Multithreaded client physics update

Is this as pant-wettingly good as it sounds?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any info on Implement new skill system in list Doing
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @meatmachine‌
    YESSSSSSSSS

Due to technical hiccups we haven't been able to get our hands on the latest build with this implemented, but from the *sound* of what it's doing, it should be eliminating a healthy portion of those end game FPS drops if you are CPU bound at that time (everyone is in that scenario), and should you have a quad core CPU or better.

Will try to remember to report back results after we've thoroughly been able to benchmark it on varying hardware.

Will this help servers too?
  • slizzeredslizzered Germany Join Date: 2014-05-31 Member: 196317Members
    Asking yet again about the new skill system:
    iirc, the idea would be based on previous matches. That way you could get comprehensive info about map/race-balance and individual player skill values to balance the matches. Since ns2stats.com seems to have lost their database... will that have a negative effect on the data quality for new skill system? Was ns2stats.com even considered as a primary source of game stats?
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    Since ns2stats.com seems to have lost their database... will that have a negative effect on the data quality for new skill system? Was ns2stats.com even considered as a primary source of game stats?
    i'm not an insider but ns2stats and hive seem to be completely seperate things (also: hive has its data, as can be checked on hive.naturalselection2.com). hive was originally set up by UWE, ns2stats was a community effort from the beginning.
    ns2stats is much older meaning they had more data. but hive is running for quite a while now so that should do, unless the previous matches don't contain all the necessary pieces of information (e.g. there is "commanderTime" but only one value per match so it might cause problems in the ridicolously rare cases that people would command one team and then switch to command the other team during the very same match). i guess the approach of weighting earlier game seconds (or w/e unit they are using) above later game seconds cannot be done with the old data yet, but they might still make use the old data by filling the gaps artificially. eventually, they could get rid of that old data at some point when they have a solid amount of data in their new, perfectly suited data scheme.
    as a side note, the currently buggy "skill" value (which is close to 0 for commanders) will almost certainly not be used in its current form.

it should be eliminating a healthy portion of those end game FPS drops if you are CPU bound at that time (everyone is in that scenario), and should you have a quad core CPU or better.
    having a quadcore but fps dropping down to ~15 in lategame combat (sometimes i even have <10 fps) on my ancient craptop, i am really looking forward to this :D
  • zipy124zipy124 England Join Date: 2014-06-27 Member: 197004Members, NS2 Playtester
    Is the sound glitch with the marine rifle being worked on? after reloading the first bullet makes no sound and can be an annoying thing to get hit by at times when you cannot hear the shot, just want to know if it is being worked on :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    @zipy124‌
    Yea that one, as well as the "fire 2 rounds immediately after spawning = firing sounds looping constantly" are both known and will be looked at eventually.
    I do not believe they will make it in time for this next patch, however.

@slizzered‌
    AFAIK The new skill system will start with everyone at the same default baseline. If you want more information on how it works just look for that "Abuse-proof skill system" thread here in general discussion. The implementation comes from a user named @moultano‌

@james888‌
    That's a good question. I'm sure Matso would know more than me about that. I'll poke him and see what he says

https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    On trello it mentions the bone wall icon has been added from ns2+...

Is the current implementation REALLY ok though?

I really hope someone takes 2 minutes to recolour it to be orange to match every single other alien structure otherwise it'll stand out like a tumour on a sore thumb
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    I have recently donated for the second time for the reinforcement program. I've upgraded from silver to diamond babbler and still can't get my new customization options, ie the Assault Armour and Shoulder icon. (it's been three days). Has it occured to any of you guys too ? Is this a known issue ? etc etc ...
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    What's the status of the rifle jam/reload bug? I know UWE claimed they had tried to fix it many times and ultimately failed. Although they also said they couldn't fix other things CDT came along and fixed instantly. So is this something still being looked into?
    for quite some versions, i have a bug which will let my first attack-click be ignored sometimes. it seems to be present when after respawning but sometimes also after evolving. to be a bit more precise: even if i keep the mouse pressed for a longer time, no attack will happen. this has never happened in any other game i played yet and there's definately a pattern to it, so i figure it's an ns2 issue.

the bug might appear quite minor when reading it (click again, then it works), but i've already lost an onos (and countless other lifeforms, mostly skulks though) due to this by forgetting to attack randomly right after spawning/evolving. really, nothing is as confusing as the game not responding to a certain input. it will distract me and screw with my movement (and obviously prevent my initial attack), all while being in melee range with at least one marine... and it always makes me feel like an idiot to die like this :)

it might be only happening on the alien side, but i'm not entirely sure. is this a known bug? if not, i will try to figure out the details of occurence. still, if other people don't encounter it at all then i have no idea what exactly might be the reason behind it. the only thing i can think of is that my fps are sometimes low in combat, but the bug will even happen right after spawning and when theres not much going on nearby.

while it seemed only to occur on ns2+ servers (as of b265), it now also happens on vanilla servers (b266, official UWE server) and it also occurs when playing marines (guess it was never depending on the race). it also seems to be different from the reload bug.
    i still don't know if it's some very obscure personal bug or if others have encountered it as well: it's possible to overlook it when focusing on the heat of battle and i still can't figure out any real pattern.

• BraxBrax Atlanta Join Date: 2014-03-17 Member: 194791Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I got all of my stuff from the reinforcement program except the Kill 'em all taunt... For the life of me I can not get it to play. I've spammed the taunt key for a good 10 minutes trying to get it to play... Didn't happen a single time. Also I don't think I was ever granted access to the secret twitter feed either.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Brax wrote: »
    I got all of my stuff from the reinforcement program except the Kill 'em all taunt... For the life of me I can not get it to play. I've spammed the taunt key for a good 10 minutes trying to get it to play... Didn't happen a single time. Also I don't think I was ever granted access to the secret twitter feed either.

The taunt only works with the female marine. She also has a lot more taunts than the guy.

And the twitter thing is over, the secret project was/is Subnautica :\
  • BraxBrax Atlanta Join Date: 2014-03-17 Member: 194791Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    I am asking again
    "I have recently donated for the second time for the reinforcement program. I've upgraded from silver to diamond babbler and still can't get my new customization options, ie the Assault Armour and Shoulder icon. (it's been three days). Has it occured to any of you guys too ? Is this a known issue ?"

Should I desinstall, reinstall the game ?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @MauvaisVitrier‌ Don't yet. Did you check for the menu while you are on a server? The menu only appears then, like "Vote". Its engine restricting to show it just after startup.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    I can pretty much guarantee that you didn't link your Steam account when you purchased it and haven't redeemed your forum badges on Hive
    I had redeemed my badges, but unlike the Kodiak pack and silver babbler, I didn't see there were actually two EXTRA steam keys to use in order to add these new rewards to my NS2. So that's my bad.

Thank you anyway guys !
    edited August 2014
    build 267 seems to have whips bugged, they can't stop attacking, but never hit a marine.

Check it out at 14:07:

Three marines went past the two whips in data core and they took no damage at all
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What's the status of the rifle jam/reload bug? I know UWE claimed they had tried to fix it many times and ultimately failed. Although they also said they couldn't fix other things CDT came along and fixed instantly. So is this something still being looked into?

Yes, it happens sometimes to me too! I managed to take a video, you can see that the rifle's animation is stuck and it's not firing and not reloading, have to switch weapons:

@SamusDroid, help!
  • zipy124zipy124 England Join Date: 2014-06-27 Member: 197004Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2014
    build 267 seems to have whips bugged, they can't stop attacking, but never hit a marine.

Three marines went past the two whips in data core and they took no damage at all

Known issue with whips cycling through the animation withought hitting, matso is looking into it i believe!(and doing very well, look out for improvements in coming patches)
  • voltairevoltaire Join Date: 2014-08-17 Member: 198004Members
    What's the status on the bug that can make two Gorge tunnel entrances not connect? I'm pretty sure I have seen this as "fixed" at some point in the past, but I encountered it again today. It really is pretty annoying to find out that your sneaky tunnel actually isn't a tunnel.
    found another location for placing an obs that is way too hard to spot and destroy for aliens (it is even difficult to build it up there), so here's a screenshot in case this is supposed to be prevented (it's in the south-western corner of the dome on veil).
    dome_obs.jpg

a very minor issue:
    when spectating, the health% of a hive in the main, center view is sometimes off by 1% compared to the health% in the bottom right overview. i saw a rounding issue with pres on trello so i guess this is similar and quite easy to fix.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I saw https://trello.com/c/EGhvyHJk/415-separate-overhead-zoom-keys-commander-binds-menu and just wanted to make sure... this will include a "reset to default zoom" key, right?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    MrFangs wrote: »
    I saw https://trello.com/c/EGhvyHJk/415-separate-overhead-zoom-keys-commander-binds-menu and just wanted to make sure... this will include a "reset to default zoom" key, right?
    Yes.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Holy cow exoskeleton price needs to go up. We lost all 3 hives in 5 mins.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Many people would soundly disagree.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Turbine‌
    I call that a comeback.. a highly sought event in a game that is basically Slippery Slope Selection 2. ;)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Any ETA of a linux version of Launchpad / Editor which was Dismissed as "soon" almost a year ago? O.o