MACs

2»

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    While MACs cost 5 Tres instead of 8 Tres, like drifters.. I'd still rather they not be rendered entirely immobile and useless by an attack.
    Yes i realize that drifters are much more useful overall and even necessary to some extents, and fulfill more roles than the MAC.

But it still seems quite unfair that nascar speed drifters have enjoyed this luxury for so long... hurting one once doesn't guarantee its demise, much like a MAC.
    But then again i can only imagine the frustration that would come from a newer player trying to catch up to a MAC to bite it..
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Mod of marines vs ai macs. Give them some weapons. Taser.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    While MACs cost 5 Tres instead of 8 Tres, like drifters.. I'd still rather they not be rendered entirely immobile and useless by an attack.
    Yes i realize that drifters are much more useful overall and even necessary to some extents, and fulfill more roles than the MAC.

But it still seems quite unfair that nascar speed drifters have enjoyed this luxury for so long... hurting one once doesn't guarantee its demise, much like a MAC.
    But then again i can only imagine the frustration that would come from a newer player trying to catch up to a MAC to bite it..

Or one player in the hive with a shotgun with medpacks and ammo from the comm with a MAC welding him.. very frustrating for aliens - especially ones that don't work together well (pubbers/rookies).
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

"Don't worry fellas, I shift+clicked that mac about 60 times, those skulks should be distracted for a minute or two."

They cost 15 res for the first Mac, though. The attack could be used to auto-defend itself... it'd be horribly weak, but at least they don't just sit there or try to run but get bit and twitch for an hour.

Agreed on the second point.

Last point, I don't think it'd frustrate many to try to kill the Mac. If it's op then slow the base speed or just reduce the retarded hour-long twitch instead of removing that feature entirely (you didn't suggest removing it, I was lol).
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I thought the death twitch for a MAC was only from bile /shrug. I think making MACS move quickly isn't balanced. Remember aliens are melee, so they HAVE to chase a MAC to hit it, so if the MAC can evade, it is frustrating to chase one down. Marines have range, so a fast drifter may not get away if the marine has decent aim. I think that balances out the MAC death twitch.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The only thing wrong with MACs is they pretty much die in one bile and they stop moving.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I want to be able to research the drones from ns2_descent as an upgraded mac that can use EMP (the EMP also fully welds everything in the vicinity) OP? Sure. Awesome? Better believe it.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Brainstorm:

How about changing MAC AI so it only automatically repairs out-of-combat marines' armour?
    Add a new feature to allow marines to "use" MACs to request armour welding.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    Add a new feature to allow marines to "use" MACs to request armour welding.

For the longest time I tonight thought that is what that was supposed to do.

But yeah, that and maybe changing it somehow so that one bile doesn't completely wreck a MAC. Maybe some other small improvements to make them a little bit more usable, there was a lot of experimental stuff for MACs like boost, speed upgrades, etc ...
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Sort out the weld priority because sometimes they would rather weld a power node than a marine/exo

Add a leash range so if you move them to a place (like a base armory), they won't get attached to a marine and follow him across the map

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Suicide Bomber MAC's ?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    A leash range is a good idea .. They get more distracted than an over sugared 5 year old with ADHD at a carnival.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If MACs didn't freeze in place when attacked instead of welding then I wouldn't have a problem but the new behind concept works quite nicely.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A leash range is a good idea .. They get more distracted than an over sugared 5 year old with ADHD at a carnival.

Yeah similar to guard mode in RTS. They will autonomously repair targets within a certain range but once they exceed that range they fall back to their center position assigned by the commander.

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I like the idea of using them to get welded. Exos can't "use" them though, might need to be looked at.
    If you assign the Mac to a structure, the Mac will weld nearby marines. Good on an armory to get back armor w.o the macs running wild.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Is there a reason besides potential performance issues that the MAC doesn't automatically have its flashlight on?
    edited June 2014
    That would be awesome if their flashlights automatically turned on in unpowered rooms. Prob a lot of coding though. If it were possible it could be upgradeable.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    RapGod wrote: »
    That would be awesome if their flashlights automatically turned on in unpowered rooms. Prob a lot of coding though. If it were possible it could be upgradeable.

Or just add a flashlight button to the MAC.
    aeroripper wrote: »
    RapGod wrote: »

Or just add a flashlight button to the MAC.

Only issue I see with the Mac lights is that the macs can kind of spas it's movement and it'd be like a rave lol... if that's fixed, the Mac shouldnt be able to scout and show aliens on the map (unless attacked, either way, the Mac would flash on the map). Just to not make it a super scout.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Easter Egg:

If you press E on a mac there is a small chance it'll say "here's that coffee you wanted" and dispense a catpack.

Please.

Please.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Easter Egg:

If you press E on a mac there is a small chance it'll say "here's that coffee you wanted" and dispense a catpack.

Please.

Please.

Macs would then be the popular kid no one leaves alone. Instead of fighting, everyone will be asking the mac for coffee to get their catpack hit.