MACs

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Does anybody else think MACs need some sort of a boost? The only time I really use them as marine comm is parking one in guard mode at each of my base for welding needs. Also occasionally using them with an exo, which in itself isn't that useful either.

They seem to have an extreme vulnerability to the random passing skulk so they are not very useful for building behind the lines unless a marine accompanies them at all times. I know there was an ability that was being tested for a while that gave them a quick speed boost to help get away from skulks but it never went into vanilla.

Thoughts?

Comments

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think that MACs could be buffed back up to building/repairing as fast as a normal marine since the other adjustments have been made.

Currently (afair) MACs have a reduced build/weld speed, stop functioning when attacked, and only 1 MAC can weld 1 targert.

From what I remember, these changes were made in response the the UberTankDeathMachine ExoMacTrain. This has since been removed as its own issue.

I think its OK to only have 1 MAC welding/building any 1 object, but I cant really see a reason why they build/repair slower than a normal marine.

Also, a speed boost would be great and make them a bit easier to use (get them to where they need to be).
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't use them much either. Although I do just play pubs. I rarely use them at all. I have seen a comm or two use them to try to sneak build a power node/phase gate but that is about it. How are they used in the competitive scene?

Ideas I got: add drifter like abilities to them, maybe an enyzme for faster welding/building, maybe a nanite swarm that boosts the armor/hp(either total hp/armor of marines in an area or even regens the hp/armor in an area, then maybe an anti-alien one that produces an electrified field in a small area around the mac that does small damage, enough to be annoying but nothing like turrets, more akin to lerk gas.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I tend to forget they even exist until one of my marines points out that they could be useful in this very situation, which rarely happens, and I even rarelier actually use them...

The fact that they completely stop working once they are hit by a SINGLE BILEBOMB doesn't really help, either.

I hate to say it, but... I'd rather invest in some powernode covering sentries. (Both use those precious mac points, too)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    When I have a semi coordinated team, I will use them to build rt's and have all my marines push alien res. Ideally I try to have the macs help one marine build and rt, so macs are defended and marine builds quicker. This is alternative to two marines building rt's. This strat also depends on team numbers.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited June 2014
    Pretty useless unless its a very small game... I honestly hadn't thought of how weak theyve becom .... drifter-like ability to nano shield a group of marines? Upgrade the Mac n cat packs first.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Quiet a few builds back, MACS could get the ability if researched to be faster, and also have the EMP ability to stop Kharaa regenerating energy, I thought that was dropped due to the lack of use. Anyway, I digress. I think a little buff won't hurt the little MAC (they are so cute). As I mainly play pub, persons with welders tend to make MACs redundant (until late game, where you would rather your marine firing their gun than welding up an Exo.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Just yesterday we played on Summit.
    Aliens were in Sub, we were in Data. Naturally, they tried to spread over to Flight and had everything already in place (Crag, Shade, Tunnel, fresh growing 2nd Hive).

We built a PG in Summit and attacked, but the fight lasted forever and marines were hardly making any progress. Marines couldn't handle the constant healing and reinforcement from the tunnel.

Soo, while everybody was fixated on Flight, I snuck in 2 MACs to Cross and built sentries there.
    Was able to take down the whole alien base there, because they were so distracted.
    After that I capped Crevice, Atrium and repaired RC - with MACs, of course.

On any random German server, the MAC is not only the most useful, but also the most social, communicative and eloquent unit there is.
    I dare say that I do enjoy their rare flattering lines, indeed.
    xen32 wrote: »
    I once tried a silly start where I mass produce Macs and assign them to marines, in theory, it could be free armor healing and helping hand in building, but in practice we ended up with res wasted on every marine death. Don't do it.
    No, no, you are just doing it wrong.
    I call this strategy "the personal MAC".
    You don't just mass produce MACs and hand them out to every mutebag and his dog.
    That's like handing out Lerk eggs to green players.
    No - just like NS1, Comm has to make smart selection of suitable players, e.g. Crowbar --> Gordon

This personal MAC is highly successful on small servers or situations where you have to play against the odds and you know for certain that some marines can shoot well.
    With their personal MAC, they will always be fresh. Those precious armor points might just be enough to tip another engagement in their favour, because without their personal MAC they are dead within 2 bites.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    matso wrote: »
    The combat support MAC are becoming slightly more useful in 267 - it will have your back, rather than your face.

https://trello.com/c/jx8Sz0vh

Less blocking of fire, woo.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    So...if I track a skulk and turn, the mac will try to get around me rather than repairing armor? That buff might be as well a nerf. I would continue with care ;)
  • SnXSnX Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180145Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Give them a flamethrower for killing cysts and babblers!
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    SnX wrote: »
    Terrifying image of an army of Macs with Flamethrowers will now haunt my dreams. Thank you.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Calego wrote: »
    SnX wrote: »
    Terrifying image of an army of Macs with Flamethrowers will now haunt my dreams. Thank you.

Imagine those cold, dead eyes as they slowly roast you
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the only thing keeping the win ratio stable is that marines must build using marines especially early game whereas aliens can focus on combat. With the skulk balance (see: very weak) where it is now, making macs too useful could break things.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    the only thing keeping the win ratio stable is that marines must build using marines especially early game whereas aliens can focus on combat. With the skulk balance (see: very weak) where it is now, making macs too useful could break things.

investing in MACs early like you're implying is extremely risky

on the other hand, I really don't see the point in MACs tbh
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    In NS1 one of the biggest issues a commander could face was repeatedly telling his teammates that something needed welding, and it never got done. If the comm hopped out and did it himself, it left lots of things vulnerable.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Solid point.

You can't really expect perfect communication in public and a MAC is a nice fix for that. Perhaps make MACs weld structures only?

Welding players has always been problematic imo.

E.g. give @xDragon medpacks, a shotgun and a MAC and he kills entire teams.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Locklear wrote: »
    Solid point.

You can't really expect perfect communication in public and a MAC is a nice fix for that. Perhaps make MACs weld structures only?

Armories repairing armor was already taken out, lets not do the same for MACs. They'd be even less used then they are now.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Solid point.

Armories repairing armor was already taken out, lets not do the same for MACs. They'd be even less used then they are now.

I'd like to see the "I'm gonna jiggle in place when attacked" removed and have them sped up a bit should be a sufficient boost.
    edited June 2014
    Solo marines being able to have armor restored without a buddy is broken imo. The reason they aren't used much atm is because there aren't many marines that can actually abuse that (talking about skill here) - or commanders that realize the power of it.

An AI unit being less used in a shooter that should be focused on PvP interaction? I'm completely okay with that.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    With enough marine pressure, macs can recap res if needed. IIRC, 3 macs = ~ave solo marine building time. I've seen it done in scrims but not so much in pub games. The new mac pocket-welder following marines might be more useful one the change goes in where the mac stays behind you. As of right now, they cause more harm than good in those situations.

But yeah... the macs are hardly part of the PvP aspect of the game so I am find with them.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Solid point.

I'd like to see the "I'm gonna jiggle in place when attacked" removed and have them sped up a bit should be a sufficient boost.

I read this wrong at first, but it gave me a cool idea-

Tell you what'd be freaking awesome?

Is if when a mac gets physically attacked, its movement speed increases greatly for a couple of seconds (for e.g. when macs get taken down in-transit to an RT or something). Or if bile caused them to scatter and try and move away or something. (obviously they move back to their initial location when the dmg stops)

I just thought it'd be hella cute, is all :P

On the subject of macs following marines "not getting in the way of aim" - could anyone clarify if they will be simply re-positioning themselves with existing pathing in response to a marine aiming/ near them, or will be become 'locked' to the marine's aim (except behind, obviously) while in the marines direct vicinity, if told to follow that marine?
    Make attacked MACs circle around in panic when attacked!

How are the chances we are going to get new voice recording for that situation?

Could be sooo cute cool!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Could be sooo cute cool!
    That reminds me of Borderland's Claptrap

Kouji_San wrote: »

Could be sooo cute cool!
    That reminds me of Borderland's Claptrap

Haven't played it :\
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Mac has few uses, mostly just for light maintenance.