Will Combat kill off NS2 ?

MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
I've seen this posted a few places where people have said they will ditch NS2 for Combat and thought it would make a interesting topic.

Do you believe it will kill off NS2 or will it bring more players to the NS2 pool?

Will people play both, are you planning on only playing combat?

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    NS2 is much more interesting IMO... but combat makes for a nice jumping off point.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    No, combat is nice to have, it can be alot more fast paced than normal NS, but its just not the same, combat there is hardly any teamwork at all needed to win, its just a massive fragfest. Fun ;)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    If people find a game that they want to play more than NS2 then they will play that.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I like a few rounds of combat every now and then but it will never replace regular NS2 for me. Combat is a good way practice aim and lifeform skills and it's great for those nights when you just want some mindless action.

I hope that Faultline games combat will attract new players to NS2. If you learn parts of NS2 by playing combat it will be easier to get into the regular game later on. I think it would be a good idea to release a larger update with a new map some time after the release of combat. Time it with a sale and we might see a new wave of green players that are just a little bit less green than usual.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I think the whole point of Combat going stand-alone was that they were free from the restrictions of having to stick rigidly to NS2 rules. Of course I am sure combat will retain some elements of NS2, but I don't think it will be as close to NS2 as people hope. The concept of using Combat as training for NS2 will probably not exist.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The concept of using Combat as training for NS2 will probably not exist.

Indeed, that was always wishful thinking ever since combat was first introduced. Combat actually creates worse classic players, because of the one man army routine it has. Which will get you killed over and over again in classic :P

I still prefered Last Stand over Combat in any case... And the funny thing is, that one does promote teamwork :-?

*classic should be vanilla, my bad :P
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will buy and try it for sure but I think that UWE messed up majorly with combat. It should have been an official game type from the start. Combat was such an important stepping stone for rookies in ns1 and it's what retained me for a long time. I even got scouted to join a ns team due to my combat skills, and I can recall the massive mountain I had to climb to become a good ns player even which life form knowledge.

I think combat standalone can only be a positive thing to come and while it will draw a lot of people away from ns2, hopefully, with the right approach from fault line it should bring a lot of new players to ns2.

• RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    NS2 is on it's last legs in terms of playerbase, and it will probably die around the time Combat is released (summer lull) then there will be forum threads complaining about how combat killed NS classic again.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2014
    Syknik wrote: »
    No, because combat is terrible skill-less and rage-inducing.

FTFY Sky Snack.

Disclaimer: This post is referring to combat mod and not the standalone. Ironhorse needed clarification <3

Double Edit: Iron, I am a discrete ninja. Don't you worry.
    Orange text is the only proper degree of discretion -Iron
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think it would have worked better as paid DLC in the same game and serverbrowser as mentioned with the proceeds going to their team. But that would still probably break Combat, what is essentially a mod, if the engine has a few changes... I take it they are on a stand alone engine that doesn't involve tampering from the devs?

Right now it is indeed a bigger fracture between NS2 and Combat for potential new players, due to them being two separate games :(
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2014
    I think the combat mod going standalone is more about appealing to a different sort of crowd, rather than trying to snatch away NS2 players. I'm guessing, of the small but loyal NS2 playerbase that remains, there won't be a lot of people to ditch NS2 in favor of combat. But, given enough publicity, the more simplified high action combat format might attract players elsewhere and form a playerbase of it's own.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would say that combat in NS1 didn't hurt the game long term, but actually highlighted an important distinction in what players liked about that game.

Also as a note, later on in games of combat with xmenu and such, they would typically last longer than a game of classic. I dont think it was game length that drove some people away from classic and too combat.
    Don't want a debate on how ns1 was killed by combat (see what I did there). I think the fact that combat being a standalone game shouldn't hurt ns2 (different browser, only shows combat servers, etc).
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me Combat killed vanilla NS1, only because I couldn't find any vanilla servers that were populated. Having said that, I feel NS2 is a different beast as Combat is now stand alone, so if you want your kill fix you can play Combat, if you want your team work (and I do), you go NS2. I do think it is good to introduce the concept and all things NS2 in a easier to digest format (in combat). Though I think it won't be as rookie friendly as people are making out (stacked teams etc...). The saving grace is you can have your life form / weapon again after you die, so you can get better at the combat side of the game.

tl;dr - Combat standalone is a good thing as it promotes NS.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    In order for NS2 to win over Combat players, I think NS2 will need to step up its game.

NS2 would needs to feel more rewarding for new players to want to learn. Because Combat will be more appealing to new players due to its accessibility and ease to learn, NS2 classic will need to tempt potential new purchasers bucket loads more fun that they can see from watching promo videos and gameplay footages.

For example, gamers would be much more inclined to buy a game that promises "Not only you can shoot guns, you can also drive vehicles and play as a ninja in this game!", than "In this game, you can shoot more structures and spend more time waiting and saving for your weapons/creatures!".

The NS2 player base will unlikely to be influenced by standalone Combat. The hardcore fans of NS2 will likely still remain loyal to the original though.
    I think this should have been a thread 2 years ago asking "will competitive tournaments that cost 20k divide the pub players?".
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think Combat is all right but it has some serious drawbacks. In classic there is actual context to an engagement, you have a certain amount of gear or a certain lifeform and you you intend to do some objective that will affect the overall game. People act differently as a result, each fight has stakes, whether it be keeping your fade or ensuring that a phase-gate stays up. Classic's fights always feel more involved than the ones in combat, each fight in Combat just seems token and the total lack of teamwork doesn't help. I think people will play Combat but Classic will still be king. Frankly the whole idea of a standalone sounds absurd to me, it's like if MGE in TF2 became a standalone.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    no, i tihnk if combat was a part of ns2 like a game mode that i could load easily and quickly from the server list then i would play it frequently but as a fully released game requiring its own install im not so sure.

I tried the mod and felt like it offered only some of the fun of ns2
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If NS2 is to be made healthier by combat, it will need to adopt any decent additional content that's included in combat. - @Jibrail‌ this was why I asked that question about content re-adoption in the original combat standalone thread :)

I doubt anybody is going to bother playing a version of a game they already play "with less stuff, less action, greatly increased difficulty".

For instance if combat got jetpack dual-fist exosuits, that would be hella fun. It'd feel gimped playing ns2 knowing that you're not going to get to swoosshh and pow-pow!

I guess what i'm saying is... If combat is too good, it could hurt NS2. It's the sassy younger brother that doesnt have a problem with girls and managed to wing it through high school even if it's a bit of a layman.

It certainly feels to me, that 50% of the NS2 playerbase will move largely to combat, with the elites and regs staying (or possibly leaving due to not being able to get a gather, PCW or even public game going!).

Frankly I can't wait to play combat on release day and get accused of hacking every game, but i do worry sometimes. I wonder if there's a particular game plan, based on knowledge and experience, or if we're just kind of smugly tucking the knowledge and experience under our belts and stumbling into this.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    "The King is dead, long live the King?"

Would you really give up NS2 completely to play combat though? I have no idea of the level of players that are playing the current mod and of those player who switch between NS2 and combatmod.

Does anyone have these stats?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    "The King is dead, long live the King?"

Would you really give up NS2 completely to play combat though? I have no idea of the level of players that are playing the current mod and of those player who switch between NS2 and combatmod.

Does anyone have these stats?
    I'd play combat exclusively if it offered the teamplay and social / community aspects that I get from NS2 currently.

The last few times I've joined a combat mod server (4-5 times over the past 6 months or so), it's been full of greens/ newbies.

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE FTW AMIRITE?
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you play combat mod to win (not just for aimtraim etc.), teamplay actually gives you a big advantage. If you and your teammates buy welders on marines, and have somebody go gorge/umbra lerk on aliens has a huge impact here too.

Of course the res-related strategy and the concepts of mapcontrol are much more shallow in combat mod. Still, I wouldn't rule out some kind of team play evolving over time, should it gain more popularity.
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Don't think combat will kill off NS2, alot of people love the meta of standard NS2, it's not just about getting kills for them. However I don't really know what the combat guys have in store, it's clearly not going to just be "combat" otherwise they would not have gone standalone. They will be doing some othere interesting stuff to the game I am sure. Either way I will most likely buy it out of interest.
    CmdrKeen wrote: »
    If you play combat mod to win (not just for aimtraim etc.), teamplay actually gives you a big advantage. If you and your teammates buy welders on marines, and have somebody go gorge/umbra lerk on aliens has a huge impact here too.

Of course the res-related strategy and the concepts of mapcontrol are much more shallow in combat mod. Still, I wouldn't rule out some kind of team play evolving over time, should it gain more popularity.
    Yes, I can imagine combat being very rewarding if it developed a teamwork aspect in public games, though as it's not a necessity I wouldn't count on it.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Seeing that I can only last a round or two in combat before silently raging, I don't think it will do much. Who knows, maybe combat will attract CoD kiddies to come play the game...