Wish list

DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
So, I feel like a wish list would be a good thing to have going. Maybe the forum isn't the best place for this, but it can at least start here. Since NS2 is going to be a quasi-opensouce community developed game I feel that it's in the communities best interest to have a clear and open list of desires. If you'd like to contribute please avoid generalities and try to be realistic. Saying things like "Make it run better" don't help in any form of development. Specificity is what you should aim for.
ex. The Algorithm for random player assignment runs in n^2 time when it could run in n. Please fix (made up for the example).
Anyway here are mine.

General:
Is there a bug track or any documentation setup? I can't find anything (this is all I can find http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/How_to_Contribute_to_this_Wiki). If not it would probably help to have these.

Server:
Better default webadmin. I'd like to see logs, Server name change, MOTD, and player limit setting all available from the web admin.
There are a number of people claiming that the server is unstable. Is there a way to debug and or report bugs? (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/categories/server-discussion)

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    There is a internal bug tracker and there are plans to make it public in some way soon.

About the webadmin:

Improving it might be a waste of time as most admins don't really use it anyway and most of the server admin stuff is provided by the mod shine.

About server perf:

Collect server crash logs, watch the tickrate etc.

• LorengormLorengorm Detroit Join Date: 2013-11-10 Member: 189251Members
    Alright so this is a massive undertaking but I'd like there to be an eventual Mac/Linux port for the game. Though this wouldn't affect me personally since I use Windows, but I have a lot of friends who run OSX and would love to play the game. And, in general, it would open up the player base quite a bit. Just having that option would probably be nice for the game.
    As I said, this would be a really big project for the team to do, but it might be beneficial in the long run.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    While I too would love to see a port to MAC and a more stable Linux build that is a very large undertaking and right now we have some other priorities. But never give up, who knows maybe one day it will happen ;)
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    edited June 2014
    So, on the webadmin. I run a server and I find it very useful to have. It's the easiest way to do 90% of what I want to do (I just want more!). I prefer to keep my server mod free as I feel it makes the experience better for the players and it simplifies running the server for me.
    So, another thing on servers is the missing files errors. I just updated and rebooted my server and was reminded of these
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/effects/frag_metal_01.model'
    Why? That's gotta be an easy fix to just not call that file.

Edit:
    Also.
    Error: PhysX: Invalid Cuda context!
    Does the server use physx?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    those bother me too... I'll see what I can do :P
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    Darakian wrote: »
    So, on the webadmin. I run a server and I find it very useful to have. It's the easiest way to do 90% of what I want to do (I just want more!). I prefer to keep my server mod free as I feel it makes the experience better for the players and it simplifies running the server for me.
    So, another thing on servers is the missing files errors. I just updated and rebooted my server and was reminded of these
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/effects/frag_metal_01.model'
    Why? That's gotta be an easy fix to just not call that file.

Edit:
    Also.
    Error: PhysX: Invalid Cuda context!
    Does the server use physx?

Ask most players and server admins about mods and they will tell you a different story.

About those two errors:

The first one happpens because of a map props using that model. Afaik it's not fixed yet because noone has access to the source file.
    About PhysX it's part of the spark engine and therefor tries to also load at the Server but as it's not really used by the server the error doesn't have any real meaning.
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    those bother me too... I'll see what I can do :P
    Cool thanks.