Xeno Spam

ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
Its probably been said before, and it probably has been given a good discussion...

But I hate Xenos.
In my regular NS2 games, I hardly see xenos for good reasons, WASTE OF RES WHEN SPAMMED.
Why bother turning yourself into a walking bomb that May or may not Kill a large group of rhines, When you could do the same thing with a skilled Fade, lerk, or Onos at much longer survival rates?

However in NS2 COMBAT MOD, Well great, the shoe is on the other foot. Let games and players progress long enough and then Alien players can Xeno themselves up, Run right into a group, And go Kersplat for the rest of the game. At No cost.
Its a Free Xenocide!

I don't know if this needs some sort of limit to avoid frusterations and to show how much of a jerk you are at being Kamikazing master, because this kinda fits along the lines of CAMPING.

Its a valid strategy, just its very annoying.

Does anyone feel this needs a limit of some sort?

Comments

• KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    edited May 2014
    Nope, the only thing I would see as different would be to put it at biomass 8/9...it's pretty much gg for rines after xeno.

Oh you just spent 38 res on jp/sg? Allow me to use my free lifeform and blow you and your fellow friends up.
    Over and over and over and over
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    My record is 7 marines with one xeno in combat
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    Ya, it's basically xeno spam vs grenade spam on combat. I kinda wish they would take out both.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    sharnrock wrote: »
    Ya, it's basically xeno spam vs grenade spam on combat. I kinda wish they would take out both.

There is a server or mod called "Competitive Combat" that removes flamers/gl/xeno

• freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    I have seen aliens struggle against marines even with xeno. You can run out of eggs even with 3 hives if everyone is xenoing, I have seen it happen. And marines were consistently doing damage to the hive, if there wasn't a gorge/crag and whips defending the hive it would have likely gone down. So you are limited by the amount of eggs you can have, and its not like it takes no time to spawn in either combat or normal mode, you are still likely out of combat for 10-15 seconds(i'll have to time it some time).

Marines also get the advantage of spawning as their lifeform in combat(jp, exo, all their upgrades) they can move out as soon as they spawn, aliens typically have to find a safe spot to egg(if main hive is under fire, then go lerk/fade/onos.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Armymonger wrote: »
    In my regular NS2 games, I hardly see xenos for good reasons, WASTE OF RES WHEN SPAMMED.
    Why bother turning yourself into a walking bomb that May or may not Kill a large group of rhines, When you could do the same thing with a skilled Fade, lerk, or Onos at much longer survival rates?

However in NS2 COMBAT MOD, Well great, the shoe is on the other foot. Let games and players progress long enough and then Alien players can Xeno themselves up, Run right into a group, And go Kersplat for the rest of the game. At No cost.
    Its a Free Xenocide!

2 things. Xeno costs you as a skulk absolutely nothing. There is no waste of res at all. So, you've got it quite backwards between combat and vanilla. Skulk upgrades dont cost anything. So you get your celerity, your aura, and your cara all for free, then blow yourself up in a group of rines. This costs them money for whatever weapon/accessory they had.
    2nd thing. It takes at least four upgrade points in combat to unlock xeno. Thus, it does tax the player more, however the benefit is that if you successfully xeno, no marines will get points for your death.

There is really no reason to complain about xeno IMO. It's a MUCH NEEDED ability for 3 and 4 hive aliens who are not able to crush a marine turtle. That late in the game, the snowball effect should be taking over already and the marines should be on a slippery slope to defeat anyways. So if you're getting xeno'd all over the place... weld your buddies, dont stand in bunches, and kill the skulks before they get into xeno range. If you can't combat it, then you deserve to lose. That's just what xeno's for.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Why don't we take the flamethrower... and make it counter xeno...
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xeno is there to provide a reason for matinees to stop aliens from getting 3rd give and for aliens to have a strategy in the event that aliens don't have high life forms (say they all died but aliens have map control) it is an end game tech to harm entrenched marine positions as with most 3rd hive advantages.

I would argue that the solution would be to give marines a reason to have 3rd tech point that would end game winners of the same power can calibur as xeno or contaminate. A super weapon or ability.

Perhaps the ability to fill a room with nanites that repair any marine unit or structure in a large area (counterpart to contaminate).

Not sure what the counterpart to xeno would be, maybe everyone spawns equipped with hand grenades? Or maybe some devastating ability.

They need to be game enders is what I'm saying, and it creates a desperate struggle to get that third tech point. From marine perspective, xenocide is demoralizing. For aliens there is nothing (that costs free) that would worry aliens other than map control.

And no exo is not a game ender.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xeno is there to provide a reason for matinees to stop aliens from getting 3rd give and for aliens to have a strategy in the event that aliens don't have high life forms (say they all died but aliens have map control) it is an end game tech to harm entrenched marine positions as with most 3rd hive advantages.

I would argue that the solution would be to give marines a reason to have 3rd tech point that would end game winners of the same power can calibur as xeno or contaminate. A super weapon or ability.

Perhaps the ability to fill a room with nanites that repair any marine unit or structure in a large area (counterpart to contaminate).

Not sure what the counterpart to xeno would be, maybe everyone spawns equipped with hand grenades? Or maybe some devastating ability.

They need to be game enders is what I'm saying, and it creates a desperate struggle to get that third tech point. From marine perspective, xenocide is demoralizing. For aliens there is nothing (that costs free) that would worry aliens other than map control.

And no exo is not a game ender.

Marines already have good end game tech and aliens don't turtle well. Arcs are great end game tech. Exo's if used properly are good end game tech, and with this one I refer to exo thread where you have posted. A shotgun jp is really hard to kill already, especially if they rush together.

Marines need better teamwork not better tech. Better tech would make marines with teamwork OP.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Does the xenocide "charge" make a sound for the marines to hear? Can't remember atm. If not, that'd help some.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    2cough wrote: »
    2 things. Xeno costs you as a skulk absolutely nothing. There is no waste of res at all. So, you've got it quite backwards between combat and vanilla. Skulk upgrades dont cost anything. So you get your celerity, your aura, and your cara all for free, then blow yourself up in a group of rines. This costs them money for whatever weapon/accessory they had.
    2nd thing. It takes at least four upgrade points in combat to unlock xeno. Thus, it does tax the player more, however the benefit is that if you successfully xeno, no marines will get points for your death.

There is really no reason to complain about xeno IMO. It's a MUCH NEEDED ability for 3 and 4 hive aliens who are not able to crush a marine turtle. That late in the game, the snowball effect should be taking over already and the marines should be on a slippery slope to defeat anyways. So if you're getting xeno'd all over the place... weld your buddies, dont stand in bunches, and kill the skulks before they get into xeno range. If you can't combat it, then you deserve to lose. That's just what xeno's for.

Oops, My bad, I kinda refrain from playing aliens, So I assumed there was a cost, Im not being biased or anything.
    I was under the impression that Xenos costed something because I see it Spammed More in Combat mod than Regular games so I came to the assumption that it was Free in Combat and Pricy in Regular.

And yeah, at that point the game is pretty much a Complete loss for Rhines.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    Combat mod development is on hold indefinitely. But I'm sure NS2:Combat devs will refine their game to involve more tactical planning and less mindless suicide attacks.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    james888 wrote: »

Marines already have good end game tech and aliens don't turtle well. Arcs are great end game tech. Exo's if used properly are good end game tech, and with this one I refer to exo thread where you have posted. A shotgun jp is really hard to kill already, especially if they rush together.

Marines need better teamwork not better tech. Better tech would make marines with teamwork OP.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough. 3 (fully upgraded) Hives for aliens doesn't guarantee a win for aliens, but it generally means the aliens are at advantage and there is a lot of work for the marines to come back from it.

Arcs don't need 3 tech points to build, are expensive, and require defending to make use of, if they were as powerful as you describe then every game would be won by marines if this was true.

Xeno costs nothing and increases the skulks potential greatly, they also get Contaminate at 9 Biomass and it behaves much like a super weapon nuke with whips. These are things that are straight benefits the lowest demoniator and opens up a very powerful commander ability to end games and break stale mates.

Exos? No. Just No.

Teamwork, assuming both teams are performing equal "amounts of teamwork" that argument doesn't hold up.

I for one would like to see the aliens something to fear should the marines get a 3rd tech point, other than another phase gate/beacon location.

If you look at other RTS's like C&C or SC. There are usually High Tech Nukes or Game Enders. Aliens have this, marines don't.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    If you look at other RTS's like C&C or SC. There are usually High Tech Nukes or Game Enders. Aliens have this, marines don't.

Has this ever been tried for NS2? Like a cool nuclear-BOOM-thing with a 3 min-public-viewable timer?
    I think it would be cool to introduce (as a mod i guess).
    Maybe:
    Iron-curtain for aliens
    Particle cannon for marines

Edit: or actually, maybe it should be centered around a player, not so much commander-spam. Like an Exo carrying a huge mine or a red-hot gorge going supernova.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The effect of contaminate can be nullified completely with a single ARC in base.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I like xeno a lot, but the thing that annoys me when I am marine, is that even if you almost killed a skulk, like did 120 damage, bastard still explodes and kills you and all your friends. Probs if explosion radius and damage done was affected A LITTLE by amount of HP skulk has, it'd seem a little more fair. I'm not saying that 1HP skulk should explode with melee-like radius and deal only 10 damage, but devastating effect should be lowered a bit.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited June 2014
    xeno should be changed, instead of it being a triggered ability it should be passive so all skulks xeno upon dearh but with a smaller radius and reduced damage output

when xeno appears the marines just concede
  • [TGL]Thunderhorse[TGL]Thunderhorse Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148134Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    To beat xeno all you have to do is keep your armor at full and have a comm that meds. Then the skulks will just be dying over and over again killing no one. If they are smart and xenoing together then you need to start spreading out when they engage then weld once they die. Unless they changed how it works(from my understanding), the further away you are from they skulk the less damage xeno does
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Neither team has end game tech. That is why so many games go on for ever, even when one team has an advantage. Xeno as endgame tech? Well, if you have enough eggs, and spawn close enough to the Marine base, it could be vaguely considered end-game tech, but it is actually a handicap if too many people do it.

I remember it being explained that would be no 'end-game' tech for any team. While the balance will shift in their favour the more they have, there was never meant to be an RTS style 'END NOW' button.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    End now button for marines:
    nuke.jpg

End now button for aliens:zergrush.jpg
    edited June 2014
    Noob Terrans nuking their own base. Lol eject.

Anyways Contaminate can be countered by arcs sure, but for the aliens it's low risk assault that compliments well with an sizable attack or to hit two bases at once.

Marines don't really have anything that they can deploy with as much ease. They need to commit man power and resources to take out an entrenched hive location. And it's usually slow.

An interesting counterpart would be like a time bomb. Teleport it into alien base. Aliens can bile or attack it to stop it, and has a fixed timer (say max 30 sec) and it requires 3 tech points. On the other hand the longer it stays there the more damage it does when detonated. Making for a similar yet different game play as contaminate.

Contaminate is sustained but this would be burst damage.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    Noob Terrans nuking their own base. Lol eject.

Anyways Contaminate can be countered by arcs sure, but for the aliens it's low risk assault that compliments well with an sizable attack or to hit two bases at once.

Marines don't really have anything that they can deploy with as much ease. They need to commit man power and resources to take out an entrenched hive location. And it's usually slow.

An interesting counterpart would be like a time bomb. Teleport it into alien base. Aliens can bile or attack it to stop it, and has a fixed timer (say max 30 sec) and it requires 3 tech points. On the other hand the longer it stays there the more damage it does when detonated. Making for a similar yet different game play as contaminate.

Contaminate is sustained but this would be burst damage.

3 CC is too low of a requirement for end game tech, 3 CC = 30 res. You can have that within one minute if team splits and rushes for two tech points. Aliens need 230 res to get to biomass 9, not even mentioning time it takes to grow hives and upgrade biomass.

Now, if it would require upgrade on every CC (like biomass for hives), that has fair price and long upgrade time, that'd be whole different story.

If somebody asked me, I'd like endgame tech to be there just for lolz, say for both teams, it requires all tech points on map excluding one (3 for veil and eclipse, 4 for other official maps), then it costs a lot of tres to research and it take very much time. Then, marines can buy speical end game exo, and aliens can by special end game onos, both cost 100 pres. End game exo has no weapons but fists, but he carries damn nuke with it, and end game onos has no speical abilities, but onocide. Purpose for both is to rush into enemy base and go boom, exploding everything in the room. Preferably, with some nice special effects.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Like this?

skip to 20secs.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    A giant Firework Bomb?

I want a Spider tank as Endgame... for rhines
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You don't need 'endgame tech', you just need to control resources, starve pres and tres, then make your final push with teamwork.
    It's not rocket science.

Marines turtling on 1 base?

Cyst the entire map. Cap all harvesters. Get healing/shift/shade stations both sides of marine spawn. Target any exos and JP marines as a priority: you need to kill the marine pres and these units cannot be recycled. Get plenty of oni, some gorges a lerk for umbra and a decent fade or two to mop up stragglers, and rush the CC.

Aliens on 1 hive?

Get all extractors. Cover all lines out of the hive. Set up obs around the map to cover cheeky gorge tunnel locations and ensure any res-biting skulks are cleaned up by 1-2 JP/SG marines on scouting duty. The rest of the team is dedicated to ensuring that no alien escapes the hive location. Set up arcs and turrets to help. If you can't arc the hive easily, get entire team of JP/SG marines and rush the hive with nerve gas support, or go for egg-lock.

If the opponent has more map control than this, then your aim is to reduce their map control. You don't need a nuke to win the game, you just need some teamwork.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    You don't need 'endgame tech', you just need to control resources, starve pres and tres, then make your final push with teamwork.
    It's not rocket science.

Cyst the entire map. Cap all harvesters. Get healing/shift/shade stations both sides of marine spawn. Target any exos and JP marines as a priority: you need to kill the marine pres and these units cannot be recycled. Get plenty of oni, some gorges a lerk for umbra and a decent fade or two to mop up stragglers, and rush the CC.

Aliens on 1 hive?

Get all extractors. Cover all lines out of the hive. Set up obs around the map to cover cheeky gorge tunnel locations and ensure any res-biting skulks are cleaned up by 1-2 JP/SG marines on scouting duty. The rest of the team is dedicated to ensuring that no alien escapes the hive location. Set up arcs and turrets to help. If you can't arc the hive easily, get entire team of JP/SG marines and rush the hive with nerve gas support, or go for egg-lock.

If the opponent has more map control than this, then your aim is to reduce their map control. You don't need a nuke to win the game, you just need some teamwork.

NUKES! NUKES! NUKES! NUKES!
    :P
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    We have that meat, it's called xeno :-P
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    We have that meat, it's called xeno :-P
    Roobubba wrote: »
    It's not rocket science.

Aliens on 1 hive?

I don't think the problem is ending the game... but how long it takes sometimes.