Is there going to be Siege maps?

haze24677haze24677 USA Join Date: 2014-05-30 Member: 196305Members
Siege maps were my favorite to play and the reason I spent $35 on this game. Can we get siege maps plz?

Comments

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    You paid $35 to play a single siege-style map?

There are numerous problems with that sentence.
  • haze24677haze24677 USA Join Date: 2014-05-30 Member: 196305Members
    edited May 2014
    Siege maps were popular in NS1, I don't understand why they aren't in this game. During Alpha and Beta the game was $34.95.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sadly, Seige maps dont work for Ns2, because of the alien commander and infestation systems. It would need to be a mod and not just a map
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There was a siege mod, with siege maps, awhile back. Never gained much popularity.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I remember playing a seige veil map a long time ago. Probably broken by now.
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    You paid $35 to play a single siege-style map?

There are numerous problems with that sentence.
    Well he is asking for multiple siege maps not just one, (honest digression: excluding kodiak there are only 3 different types of maps we play on either[double res, tech point in center and no tech point in center])

But I am not sure if you are aware but siege-map servers were pretty popular in NS1, popular enough to fill a hand-ful of them on a regular basis and they usually had a higher max pop(28-32 players over 16-20 players). Some people played Combat exclusively too, and that wasn't part of the game originally and was placed in much later, not everyone liked that either.

I enjoyed siege maps back in the day, they offered me chances to play lifeforms I normally wasn't able to, especially before combat came into play. Fade? Onos? and then with the plethora of res nodes you could die and evolve back into your class quite readily. Which was nice especially before combat became a part of the game, in a normal game you might get to go fade once, and then promptly die in under a 1 minute, not much to learn how your class works there.

Also learning to command on siege maps wasn't as big of a trial by fire as the current setup can be. You typically had one engagement zone, the frontline, and if you didn't it was usually just a giant hallway of a map. If you knew the build strategy it was fairly easy to figure out the command structures without being cried to by your team for medpacks and jetpacks and shotguns before you have one RT up.
    Sadly, Seige maps dont work for Ns2, because of the alien commander and infestation systems. It would need to be a mod and not just a map
    About the only thing that I could see happening is aliens being able to drop infestation into a marine base and then doing a whip rush. That could make things go funky.
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Anyhow as far as I know the main reason we don't have siege maps at least this is what I have overheard or read elsewhere, I cannot recall where. Is that there is no built in trigger system like HL1 had where you could make a door and then have it open under conditions(time like 3 minutes for this door, 15 minutes for that door or say like a weld point since those aren't in the game either.)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I actually stopped playing ns1 when all I could find were siege maps and MvM combat on servers.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Anyhow as far as I know the main reason we don't have siege maps at least this is what I have overheard or read elsewhere, I cannot recall where. Is that there is no built in trigger system like HL1 had where you could make a door and then have it open under conditions(time like 3 minutes for this door, 15 minutes for that door or say like a weld point since those aren't in the game either.)

There actually were working ns2 siege maps (i think they used extra entities). They didn't catch on.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    We would need a time trigger for the siege room door. Maybe weldables too. And a higher view distance.

But then you could still build arcs before the door even opened and the aliens lack of ranged weapons for a siege. But since the community got the captains hat...why not? A few siege and fun maps could help to hold up the moral and diversity. You could play a ns1 map in one hundred different ways, ns2 is always the same.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Siege maps have popped up a few times on the server list but always died off. Performance was a big issue and I think some of the patches broke them.

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    There are some siege maps and there were some siege servers.

Siege is fun to play a few times. But not too often.
    4920_screenshots_2013-04-27_00006.jpg

Veilsiege wasn't really good, as eventually marines were forced to survive on 2 res, which is not really siege style. RTs for marines are scattered across the map, and marines are forced to use phasegates to topo and skylight to not let aliens through. There are no CCs in those rooms, so no beacons, and once at least one pg falls, aliens get whole map easily. So marines are always forced to sit in cargo on 2 res and wait for siege portal to open, and then they will barely have res to build arcs and even buy equipment to hold back aliens.

The other map floating around was more original siege-like, but oh damn that performance. It had problems with it.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Wow. Respect for getting that Exo up there.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Yesterday I had a flash of inspiration to make a siegemap that's in alignment with the new gameplay.
    I'm fairly familiar with Hammer, and fell in love with Spark at first sight :D
    But I'm having some difficulties creating timers/triggers. I've read that it isn't supported YET, but does anyone know a workaround to create more advanced timers/triggers?
    A mod maybe or...?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Yesterday I had a flash of inspiration to make a siegemap that's in alignment with the new gameplay.
    I'm fairly familiar with Hammer, and fell in love with Spark at first sight :D
    But I'm having some difficulties creating timers/triggers. I've read that it isn't supported YET, but does anyone know a workaround to create more advanced timers/triggers?
    A mod maybe or...?

Look at the Extra Entities Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107977815 ;) It provides you with everything you need for a siege map
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    aww yisssssss xD
    Thanks Ghoulo!
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems odd complaining that you spent money on a game that doesn't have the feature you purchased it for... seems troll-like™.

I am surprised this hasn't been modded in though as it was pretty much the only game you could play at the tail end of NS1. I hope you hook up with others that are capable of making it happen.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    xen32 wrote: »
    4920_screenshots_2013-04-27_00006.jpg

I have this weird feeling that I'm in this picture. As well as @Gibs
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Seems odd complaining that you spent money on a game that doesn't have the feature you purchased it for... seems troll-like™.

I am surprised this hasn't been modded in though as it was pretty much the only game you could play at the tail end of NS1. I hope you hook up with others that are capable of making it happen.

Please search the workshop before posting ;)

There are 5 siege maps: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?searchtext=siege&childpublishedfileid=0&section=items&appid=4920&browsesort=trend

All of them work with the current build (266) and will work with 267