Improving Aim

QubeQube Join Date: 2014-03-01 Member: 194434Members
There are already some great guides in improving aim for NS2, however I want to bring to attention training aim in a way that can be generally applied to any click and point game.
The links below provide training for certain skills such as aim, reflex, and complicated twitch movements.

http://aim400kg.ru/en/
http://www.aimbooster.com/

Many browser training games similar to above exists and the above two sites reflect my personal favorites for mouse aim training.
This is not meant to be have all end all, but as another method to improve skill.
Good luck and track those lerks down!
iCPOgDH70YNEN.jpg

Comments

• RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    What i wish more is the damn hits reg to be improved in all online games. Now i'm thinking my ISP is the problem because it's pissing me off in nearly all games. I have the timing, i have the accuracy, but i'm just not getting the damage i'm suppose to make. Which can only mean the games aren't doing what they are displaying to me. For example constant 27 in 1 dmg shots when making headshots in CS:Source. And it was like 30 times in a single match. With all the variables, it's impossible that i'd make the exact same damage just by a luck. It was consistently mistakenly registering dealt damage. It was so annoying i stopped playing the damn game. And i'm experiencing rather similar issue with NS2. Especially bad is Combat Mode where for some weird reason like 3/4 of all damage dealt is just some random nonsense. I know the mode is bugged, but what should affect hits reg so badly is beyond me. Normal NS2 mode is not as bad, but i still have so many idiotic moments that cost you life and resources that it's sometimes really frustrating to play.

And if you're experiencing such random bs, you can't possibly raise the experience curve if everything is apparently random from match to match.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Does that stuff work? Has anyone tried it?
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I used to play Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament '99 for 1-2 weeks against the strongest bots. Beat them continuesly and you should be ready for the top 1/3 of most teams. Quake was good for aiming, UT was good for reading enemy movements etc. Both games together should be a very solid training camp. And if all else fails, there is still one last option:
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Playing Combat is the best way to learn to aim.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I used to play Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament '99 for 1-2 weeks against the strongest bots. Beat them continuesly and you should be ready for the top 1/3 of most teams. Quake was good for aiming, UT was good for reading enemy movements etc. Both games together should be a very solid training camp. And if all else fails, there is still one last option:

Good way to tackle your reflexes and precision was botmatch on Godlike with InstaGib mutator. The insane robotic precision of bots was a real test even for the best players imo. I loved to play that one and later incorporated it with CTF, Domination and Assault modes. Single shot kills but with reasonable pause in between shots meant you had to strik with absolute precision.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Past the level of skill where you find it hard to click on the start menu icon in windows, I have very little faith in 'aim precision' games increasing your aim for NS2.

The visual cues are entirely different. Like, universes apart different.

As an example, in my CS:S days I had pro level aim, I played with pros and ex-pros and gave them a damn good run for their money. Switch to NS2 and only in the past few months am I able to track spike-lerks with the rifle. I used to shoot at a lerk, feel like I was tracking it perfectly when in reality I was shooting a few inches below its chest and hitting nothing. there are visual cues your brain needs to learn that it really can only get from experience.

Combat is THE tool for learning NS2 aim.

Also, if you're getting less than 60fps you're gonna find it incredibly hard.

Get a 144hz monitor and all of a sudden you might find your aim becomes godlike ;)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Combat is useful only to an extent... maybe the first 5 min of each game? Lifeforms in combat rarely act the same as they do in vanilla ns2 since, yolo I can respawn with the same lifeform. Five lerks spiking you all game, throw in a little ink and xeno and you got yourself clusterfck of uselessness.

Aside from drills, the best way to work on aim is to just pub/pug but only focus on your own engagements.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    He's not wrong. Just getting a 144htz monitor made such a difference. Like meat I played cs, css, a ton of cod 1 & 2 at a very high level and NS2 is a different beast.
    edited May 2014
    Also fps is crucial, do everything you can to get that up.

I know not everyone is able but do not panic.spray, if you can't see a skulk stop shooting unless you know he's about to appear.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those web based programs wont help because the sensitivity will be different from in game. The best way is to turn cheats on and 1v1 with a friend :] lerk/lmg or fade/sg.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Improving aim means different things for everyone. For some, the game in which they practice in doesn't matter nearly as much. They can switch games quite easily and still utilize a reasonable amount of their ability. There is a certain % at the highest level that will always require significant practice in that game, but generally speaking (especially for NS2 levels), any practice is good practice.

Then there are the people who learn through repetition, which is IMO a very different style. If you learn and play through repetition, you need to stick with consistency. Playing the same game, the same sense and the same setup. I don't believe in this style as much however. While it is definitely the easier approach it tends to make people very situational players, and outside of their 'practiced' scenarios, their performance generally suffers.

I also don't think that playing against bots is good practice outside of pure aim improvement. Bots are programmed to do specific things, which you start to adapt to counter, even if subtly. There is no replacement for training against a similar (or better) skilled opponent. A large part of gameplay can still be distilled down to 1v1 situations, and mindgames and intuition can be key.

There are a few games which were good for improving your abilities all around, but sadly I think most of them are dying... Quake probably being the last holdout.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Also one thing to bare in mind, your aim can be 100% but there's only so much damage you can do in so much time.

i.e. If your positioning is bad, your aim will make little difference.

People complain about 'marines who dont miss' but the ones complaining are the same ones bounding directly at the marine from 20 meters away. Maximising your distance from the threat is what marine positioning is all about, its the largest advantage you can give yourself against a skulk.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, that is exactly what we learned from the other thread. Only rookies complain, because they run in straight lines.....NOT. xD

edit:typo
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    RejZoR wrote: »

Good way to tackle your reflexes and precision was botmatch on Godlike with InstaGib mutator. The insane robotic precision of bots was a real test even for the best players imo. I loved to play that one and later incorporated it with CTF, Domination and Assault modes. Single shot kills but with reasonable pause in between shots meant you had to strik with absolute precision.

Pretty much this. Made this vid a while back. It is an excellent method for training your accuracy.

Yeah, that is exectly what we learned from the other thread. Only rookies complain, because they run in straight lines.....NOT. xD

In a straight line along the floor, I like to call them land torpedos.

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2014
    Even "overclocking" your 60Hz can make a difference. I upped mine from 60 to 90 and it made a huge difference. It's not 144Hz, but better nonetheless.

As @Daveodeth‌ said, FPS is crucial. I play at 720p just for the extra frames and less drops in late game pubs.
    Yeah, that is exactly what we learned from the other thread. Only rookies complain, because they run in straight lines.....NOT. xD

Running in a straight line? Noooo I'm not talking about that, that's like super noob.

I'm talking about directly jumping towards a marine that has placed himself far from your chosen position of cover - AND IS LOOKING DIRECTLY AT YOU. Hint: Bullets come out of marines eyes. If he's looking at you, he's probably going to start shooting at you.

A marine cant damage you if there's something in the way. So try this instead.

get the marines attention, fake engaging by jumping out quickly or darting to a closer covered position.

While he's looking at you, your teammate should be closing in- when he realises this he'll try and shoot your buddy.

This is when you close more distance.

Rinse and repeat until you're biting his feet.

You COULD try to both rush him at once, but remember there are enough bullets in a rifle clip to kill an entire team of skulks.

A lot of marines know this, and if you and fake them out into unloading enough bullets they will reload before they're spent to ensure they have enough bullets to mow you down if you both rush him and get too close. Reloading; another great opportunity to close distance.

As a marine, positioning is about maximising your distance from cover.

Get caught in the above situation, with two skulks playing red-light-green-light to close in on you?

I learned this playing against wob quite recently actually - It can sometimes be a good idea, if there is too much cover in the area to get a good distance or if you are 'surrounded' (skulks closing in from more than one direction), to actually close in on the closest of the skulks that are playing peekabo. Most of the time they wont be ready for this and voila, one skulk left.
    Plus, you killed the closest one, so the one that was further away has the most distance to cover to get to you.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

Running in a straight line? Noooo I'm not talking about that, that's like super noob.

I'm talking about directly jumping towards a marine that has placed himself far from your chosen position of cover - AND IS LOOKING DIRECTLY AT YOU. Hint: Bullets come out of marines eyes. If he's looking at you, he's probably going to start shooting at you.

A marine cant damage you if there's something in the way. So try this instead.

get the marines attention, fake engaging by jumping out quickly or darting to a closer covered position.

While he's looking at you, your teammate should be closing in- when he realises this he'll try and shoot your buddy.

This is when you close more distance.

Rinse and repeat until you're biting his feet.

You COULD try to both rush him at once, but remember there are enough bullets in a rifle clip to kill an entire team of skulks.

A lot of marines know this, and if you and fake them out into unloading enough bullets they will reload before they're spent to ensure they have enough bullets to mow you down if you both rush him and get too close. Reloading; another great opportunity to close distance.

As a marine, positioning is about maximising your distance from cover.

Get caught in the above situation, with two skulks playing red-light-green-light to close in on you?

I learned this playing against wob quite recently actually - It can sometimes be a good idea, if there is too much cover in the area to get a good distance or if you are 'surrounded' (skulks closing in from more than one direction), to actually close in on the closest of the skulks that are playing peekabo. Most of the time they wont be ready for this and voila, one skulk left.
    Plus, you killed the closest one, so the one that was further away has the most distance to cover to get to you.

sometimes if you make a runner for it, you can get the reload in before they can close properly.

:) counter-baiting.