what is it about gorges...

2»

Comments

• matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Why don't we have any maps like that, with multiple levels/floors? So many possibilities...

because there is no option for commanders to switch between levels. so no medpacking/building on lower floors

Camera position and drop selection is all done through Lua, so technically you should be able to add a mod for that... the reason it isn't part of NS2 is just that it is confusing enough being a commander already...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »
    Look how stubby their legs are. I bet they have back problems from their overly heavy belly and lack of arch in foot. What do I know? Kharra have different physiology.

Got a back problem? SPIT ON YOURSELF! Got a gunshot wound? SPIT ON YOURSELF! Are you burning alive and about to die? No problem! SPIT NEAR YOURSELF!
    Spitting on yourself is easy, but not fun. Its really pleasurable to have another gorge spit on you...

Heal spray doesn't fix everything .Just bullet holes and fire.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Look how stubby their legs are. I bet they have back problems from their overly heavy belly and lack of arch in foot. What do I know? Kharra have different physiology.

Got a back problem? SPIT ON YOURSELF! Got a gunshot wound? SPIT ON YOURSELF! Are you burning alive and about to die? No problem! SPIT NEAR YOURSELF!
    Spitting on yourself is easy, but not fun. Its really pleasurable to have another gorge spit on you...

And grenade wounds
  • FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    I don't know what it is, but whenever I see a gorge I HAVE to kill it. It's like a primal bloodlust mode is triggered in my loins and demands I kill that gorge.

Whoever designed the gorge is a mastermind. The aesthetics, the sounds, the movements, the taunt... they just meld together to create this little rotund killable death ball of cuteness.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It must hurt to have to drag that belly along the ground all the time. Maybe that's why it's so red..
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    amoral wrote: »

10 pres

Of course, but i'm talking about people that are by themselves with a shotgun and perhaps a welder too.

gorge might die and lose 8-11 pres but you just lost 23 pres and might not have even got the gorge! it's just hillarious baiting such marines.

I figure though, in pubs most people are chaseing the gorge because they think "easy kill! +1 to my K/D!" rather than the hit to the alien's pres :D.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    The lack of consistency in that last usage of caps, with "near" instead of "on" really eats away at me, Beige... sigh..
    I basically cheer along with you while reading it and when i screw up the end, (read: How it should be) I feel duped and reeaaalllyyy want to press that edit button - but i shall keep my OCD at bay this time. WHEW. ;)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

And grenade wounds

i hear tell heal spray is only 50 percent effective against axe wounds though.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    The lack of consistency in that last usage of caps, with "near" instead of "on" really eats away at me, Beige... sigh..
    I basically cheer along with you while reading it and when i screw up the end, (read: How it should be) I feel duped and reeaaalllyyy want to press that edit button - but i shall keep my OCD at bay this time. WHEW. ;)

let it in, it only wants to play a while, just this once, it won't be forever, just a tiny moment in time. what could it hurt? everybody will be happy, and everybody will thank you, think about it, you'll be a hero, and think of how good it will feel, knowing that you fixed the world just a little bit more, imposed a little bit of order on the chaos... do it for the children. just a tiny little edit, nobody will notice, and those that do will be quietly grateful. just one tiny little edit.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    I like to hunt Little Gorgies... In my mind, each one is a cute little piggy that just deserves a Shotgun rammed up their Tiny buttcheeks and having the trigger pulled.
    Ive eaten a Gorge before....Heheheh...He tasted like Chicken with Ham stuffed in it. So delicious.
    Unfortunately I burnt too much of him with my Flamethrower soo... I had to contend with Skulks. They were too bony and Tasted like Insects.
    Why do i hunt Gorges before everything Else?

IM LOOKING FOR THE ELUSIVE GORGE BACON. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS IN MY LIFE.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Armymonger wrote: »
    I like to hunt Little Gorgies... In my mind, each one is a cute little piggy that just deserves a Shotgun rammed up their Tiny buttcheeks and having the trigger pulled.
    Ive eaten a Gorge before....Heheheh...He tasted like Chicken with Ham stuffed in it. So delicious.
    Unfortunately I burnt too much of him with my Flamethrower soo... I had to contend with Skulks. They were too bony and Tasted like Insects.

what
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

This makes perfect sense. This is why we hunt gorges. We MUST achieve the nirvana that only Gorge Bacon can bring.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    Benson wrote: »

This makes perfect sense. This is why we hunt gorges. We MUST achieve the nirvana that only Gorge Bacon can bring.

EMBRACE THE BACON BROTHER!

We will NOT stop until we have Achieved the enlightenment of Gorge bacon!

• CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Desther wrote: »
    Apart from the novelty of the glass effects and physics objects, I didn't really enjoy hl2 all that much. Can't see why people are so hyped about hl3

Ah. What a shame
    +35 GOTY awards should speak for itself
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Shit's getting weird.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cuel wrote: »
    Desther wrote: »
    Apart from the novelty of the glass effects and physics objects, I didn't really enjoy hl2 all that much. Can't see why people are so hyped about hl3

Ah. What a shame
    +35 GOTY awards should speak for itself

I find all those awards and hype just strange. I personally did not find hl2 exciting in any way, but still played it to figure out the hype. I never did understand.
    RapGod wrote: »
    Shit's getting weird.

You have no idea.

And james, All people have their Own personal opinions on games, Yours unfortunately doesn't mean as much compared to a high level reviewer. Did you at least find the game enjoyable, despite the lack of Excitement?
    RapGod wrote: »
    Shit's getting weird.

You have no idea.

And james, All people have their Own personal opinions on games, Yours unfortunately doesn't mean as much compared to a high level reviewer. Did you at least find the game enjoyable, despite the lack of Excitement?

It wasn't bad but not exactly good either. I know I tend to not follow mainstream opinions but the gulf between my enjoyment and the nearly universal love hl2 has is further than I would expect.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    There are very few things that are awesomer than a gorge taunt.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's because of the gorge plushie...
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    They look really similar to baby hippos
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    If this post bugged you that bad @IronHorse‌, then don't read what follows. Lol
    coolitic wrote: »
    There are very few things that are awesomer than a gorge taunt.

• WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When was that build that removed taunts? So many mute gorgies, really sad :(
    I think that was for one more build until the new menu came arround, isn't it ?
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find all those awards and hype just strange. I personally did not find hl2 exciting in any way, but still played it to figure out the hype. I never did understand.

Hype and awards has little to no relation to whether a game is actually good or not and even less so to whether you will like it. Much of it is paid for or relies on past glories (HL 1 was a MUCH better game).

I like the source engine, but I absolutely agree about HL2; it was just mediocre. The guns were inaccurate, weak and weak sounding, the enemies were nerfed to hell and did almost no damage; the physics gun was no fun and vastly overpowered. The physics engine was never put to good use; instead it just tempted Valve to make a lot of stupid see-saw puzzles.

The plot was non-sensical, with Gordon being treated as a Messiah, even though he was just this unknown scientist, who got almost everyone around him killed; it is never explained how anyone knew anything about what he did in xen. The G-man left you off near an armed checkpoint, without weapons or armour and without a clue; only random chance (Barney?) saved your arse. The cliff-hanger ending just felt like a cheap deus ex machina. The homage to war of the worlds and 1984 were about as subtle as a brick to the face.

The cut-scenes were excrutiatingly long and unskippable, with completely one-dimensional characters talking overlong pleasantries at a mute protagonist.

The vehicle sections which comprised most of the game were just not fun at all.

It's not the worst game ever made, but I don't understand the mutual masturbation that tends to happen whenever HL2 is mentioned. Black mesa source, even with mostly the same weak-sauce inaccurate weapons, shows just how much Valve screwed up.