NS2 PUG community - Looking to play more organized NS2 games?

simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
edited July 2015 in Competitive Play
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rns2pugs
mumble: 50.97.73.146:64738

I don't see a post around here advertising the Reddit NS2 PUG community. I thought it is strange to not have it stickied here since it's probably one of the largest, most active community groups in the NA that brings a new level of NS2.

Do you love NS2? Are you not a part of the competitive community, but you think it might be fun to play more serious NS2 games with a group of competent, and willing players? Interested in playing 6v6, 7v7, and rarely even 8v8 pick-up-game matches that are almost always tailored to be two evenly matched teams?

Or maybe you want to get your feet wet in the competitive NS2 community, but you've never played a match, and don't know the first thing about competitive play?

Join the NS2 Reddit PUG community on steam! Receive broadcasts from the group every time a game is about to get started and take part in what NS2 was MEANT to be. Be careful, you might just never play a public game again! Also be sure to setup the mumble, as all comms are done there. There is also almost always a group of people in a channel there somewhere playing NS2, organizing matches, and generally having a good time.

This is one of NS2's most active and longest lasting communities catering to competitive and semi-competitive play. Join us!

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    I had mentioned it a few times in the ENSL pug post but that's it. Glad it's getting its own thread. Really friendly community. They also work really well with new-to-comp players. :D
  • FreekerFreeker France Join Date: 2013-10-28 Member: 188858Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is that only for NA player or is there also some PuG on EU timezone?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    They let us Australians in on 200 ping. I'm sure Euros are welcome to.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Freeker wrote: »
    Is that only for NA player or is there also some PuG on EU timezone?

Gathers are still run for EU players primarily as well on ensl.org

• joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    I have been playing pugs lately, and man I feel like a green all over again lol.. I am getting better but there are some guys that are just so good, I don't think I can ever compete.. are there any advanced tutorials on how these guys are so crazy good with skulk / lerk / fade? I just cannot figure out how they do some of the things they do. I would swear they are able to get moving faster with the lerk / fade than is even possible! It seems like when I blink into a room it takes ages, but when they do it they are swiping me in the face before I even have time to notice him. Does celerity increase blink speed that much? I usually go adren for my fade but I'm starting to think that is wrong.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    I think nearly everyone is willing to tell you how they do what they do and possibly teach a bit if you just ask.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Yeah, everyone is super willing to teach other people to become better. Some pretty cool dudes that are regularly playing in pugs.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    edited December 2013
    After a few more games, I'm starting to realize that despite my 15 years experience in PC gaming I simply do not have the aiming ability to keep up. I can learn strats and become a good team member eventually, but I just cant see myself ever having that kind of twitch aim / tracking, at least not that consistently .. its too bad there are not skill level breakouts for pugs because I do love the organization and communication everyone has, and everyone is very well mannered and seems like a fun crowd. But I am just dead weight on these teams.

Edit: before you comment 'that it will get better', remember I have 15 years at PC gaming, so I know my limits and as far as aiming goes, I am at about 90% capacity right now for how good I could get, and I can't do shit against these guys. A2 / w2 with a shotgun and I'm barely able to kill 1 lone skulk. Don't know how you guys do it, with how twitchy the model animations get, even if I do land a decent shot its only for 70-80 dmg and before I can load the next shell I'm dead. Oh well, I'll keep an eye on the community and if enough people get into it maybe there will be a place for my mediocre skills.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @joederp I was in the same boat, I've been around computer gaming for a long old time and when I started playing gathers, I loved it but found myself wanting for lack of skill. Some may rightly argue that I'm not much more skilled now (though I have my moments like anyone else), but since joining a comp team and getting a lot of matches under my belt, I'm in a much better place than the pub hero I was when I started. Pubs give you terrible bad habits. My best advice is play more 6v6 and try to find a team to play with. It doesn't have to be a premiere div team for it to be really good fun :)
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The thing about NS2 is that "pure aim" is a much smaller part of overall skill than most other games. Knowing where to be, how to get there quickly/safely, how/when to push up or fall back is a pretty big part. In addition, your actual position when a fight starts and knowledge of a room contribute hugely to your success in a firefight.

There's also been a shift in the pugs towards higher level players and they're kinda edging out the lower skilled people. Its a problem because the original founders aren't running it in as casual a manner as it was before. I gotta see what we can do because noone likes being the fat kid.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Thoe i do alot on the sidelines and behind the scene (such as modding the forums) I have yet to turn down a invitation to a pug game.
    So fell free to invite me if you lack players :)
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @joederp

dude, we take all types. PUGs are fun because there's a large range of skill. You don't have to be good at ALL for PUGs. Just listen to your comm and tell the guys that you wanna learn.
    If anyone is mean to you, tell mama decoy.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    I don't want Simba to yell at me! Tbh it is a little daunting for the uber casual/scrim player to go into pugs... I will be there one day...maybe... when fox makes me.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @spa it is definitely daunting the first few times playing in a non pub setting (am I going to let the team down because I suck?). It's worth taking the plunge though. :)
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    I'm the king of pugging with my 8% acc B-)
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    edited December 2013
    So how exactly do you get in a match?
    Sry,I am just completely new to ns2 competitive and I have 0 clue how to get into a competitive match,I am just use to a bit more popular games who have automatic ranked match system implemented.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    Madd0g wrote: »
    So how exactly do you get in a match?
    Sry,I am just completely new to ns2 competitive and I have 0 clue how to get into a competitive match,I am just use to a bit more popular games who have automatic ranked match system implemented.

It's a community run PUG system so it isn't implemented into the game.

1.) Join this group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rns2pugs
    2.) Wait till you see an announcement for Pugs Starting or something of the sort.
    3.) Join Reddit mumble IP: 74.86.55.132:64738 (downloadable here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net)
    4.) Join the channel "Here for Pugs" or whatever its called now
    5.) Everyone will explain it from there.

What joshy said. Just join the mumble and sit in the "Ready Room". Once 12 people are present, everyone will pick 2 commanders, and then people will pick teams. The general rule is the teams are picked to be even. If you're new, just say you're new, so the team pickers can know to try and balance the teams. Nobody wants to PUG with a stacked team and stomp. Everyone wants to teach people and bring more players into competitive NS2.

It's fun, you'll have a blast, trust me!
  • JakeFromStateFarmJakeFromStateFarm USA Join Date: 2013-12-06 Member: 189833Members
    Joined. Someone mentioned this in my recent reddit post "PSA to Rookies". Now I've found it!
    shameless bump for the new people who might be interested in getting into competitive after that awesome WC
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    bumping this again =D
    just an update, mumble has moved to 50.97.73.146 port 64738