So, about reinforced...

Comments

• griffgriff Join Date: 2013-08-10 Member: 186715Members
    +1 totally agree with Locklear here.

New content is always welcome, but I believe the main issue with NS2's success has been its performance or lack thereof. I love the game and hope to see the community grow.

In short, Better performing game = Larger possible player base who can actually enjoy the game.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    @UWE

I think you are underestimating how many people would've come back with improved preformance.

Of the 10 people I got to play NS2, none are still here (but me!). Of those 10 people, they all* say they would come back if performance was better.

*one says that he would only come back if the rifle-butt knock-back was re-introduced, so thats a lost cause :p

I understand the desire/need to move on to other projects, but perhaps if you started another Reinforced program, explicitly for performance focus......?
  • zebroezebroe Join Date: 2013-08-15 Member: 186878Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Great thread, albeit with some pretty ignorant posts. But that's also NS2's playerbase i guess. Good to see UWE respond.

Here's why i stop playing NS2 everytime, shortly after an update.

I never had (fps) performance issues. My main gripe is always related to hitboxes and hitdetection:
    -Being a Skulk or Lerk in a vent somewhere, or behind some cover, thinking no marine can see me, when actually he sees the top of my character and so kills me.
    -Running or flying away when fired upon, and then dying behind a corner after still taking damage. Although i was not in the line of sight of my attacker anymore.

I have a ping that's less than 60 on those servers. Also i monitor the server tickrate in game.

While there may be perfectly logical explanations for those issues, they don't happen in many other fps games i play (*). The first, regarding the character's point of view, i don't even understand why UWE has it that way. It gives the player a wrong suggestion of his character's height.

(*) Tribes Ascend, Arma3, RO2/Rising Storm, TF2, BF2:PR, PS2, Insurgency, DayZ
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

You probably don't realize it Zeep but dying around corners is directly related to a performance limitation of NS2's netcode.
    The current implementation of 100ms interpolation and lag compensation is the source of that issue.

The 30tickrate you're looking at is related to AI according to Max, the client update rate is 20. That is what is limiting the server performance as well.

The hit detection in NS2 is actually quite good. There's a few issues with it but I won't go into detail.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    +1 fix/improve the game before adding content, content is good, but even KODIAK is hated by some in the public servers because of low FPS, early versions of biodome in falls had huge performance drops even on my machine to the point where i would want to avoid that room all together or rather the whole map until it was fixed

i5 3570k @4.0 gtx680
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Would it be possible to make an official mod made by UWE where hotfixes can be added before the next patch is released?
  • ionfluxionflux Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173039Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Regarding the new map vs. fixes/perf thing, that is actually a fair point. Yes, we chose to spend a lot of the donated money on a new map. Maybe we should have spent it on contracting one programmer (probably fsfod) to optimize the game for 2-3 months? That's how long it probably would have taken to get a significant bump in perf - it would basically involve changing 50% of Lua code, everywhere. But, that still would've been risky - would the perf actually get much better after that? How much better? How many MORE bugs would it introduce? It would certainly break ALL mods. So, at the end of the day, you can see why making a new map is a much safer bet than a complete overhaul of the code.

We have definitely learned from the performance woes of NS2 (yes, we absolutely acknowledge it as an issue), and for future projects that use Lua, we will architect things from the ground up with LuaJIT in mind. As for NS2, unfortunately, it's hard to make those kind of changes this late with a gigantic code base.

with $100k, you will
    A. create new content like ns2_eclipse "for free" and then milk money from existing miniscule (and declining) playerbase with kodiak dlc ($5.99 x 1000 players) OR

B. fix the underlying problem of the game - performance - and therefore
    1. retain old players who quit due to performance issue (+~6000 players x $5.99)
    2. earn new players from sales/adverts (+? players x $29.99)
    3. encourage current players who now aren't afraid to introduce a good game (previously unplayable due to high pc requirements but now every average pc plays awesome! <3<3) to their friends (+1000 players x ? friends x $29.99)
    4. make modders happy in helping to create a stable game which hopefully stops breaking their mod in almost every new patch. old modders will thus also be motivated to fix their mods to be compatible with a much better performing game (+? players who like modded games)

with so much focus on client-side performance, let's not forget better multicore/multithread support for servers so it's economically viable to host servers (consumer grade hardware and 4.5GHz just to host one instance of 24 slots WTF?!) around the globe especially in the Asia Pacific region where infrastructure is so expensive

games like team fortress 2 (f2p) or left4dead2 (not f2p) don't have that many maps either, but they do have a very large player base. <sarcasm> i wonder why...? </sarcasm>

let's hope the company still have another $100k for a wise turnaround strategy
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    ionflux wrote: »
    (consumer grade hardware and 4.5GHz just to host one instance of 24 slots WTF?!)

I had to comment on this. This is my server load with three 24-player instances running: cpu load

Since this screenshot was taken I have replaced the cpu with another one of the same model that overclocks higher at a lower voltage. And I know that Combat servers doesn't require as much as normal NS2 but I don't have a screenshot of the server running more instances.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited May 2014
    games like team fortress 2 (f2p) or left4dead2 (not f2p) don't have that many maps either

lol, what? tf2 has over 30+ official maps and probably thousands of user created maps. same with l4d2, there are over 10 campaigns with each having 4+ maps each and again, and a ton of community created maps.
    SupaFred wrote: »
    (consumer grade hardware and 4.5GHz just to host one instance of 24 slots WTF?!)

I had to comment on this. This is my server load with three 24-player instances running: cpu load

Since this screenshot was taken I have replaced the cpu with another one of the same model that overclocks higher at a lower voltage. And I know that Combat servers doesn't require as much as normal NS2 but I don't have a screenshot of the server running more instances.

what are the servers doing though? i'd love to see the tickrate of all 3 servers while they're all packed and being played on at the same time.
  • ionfluxionflux Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173039Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    games like team fortress 2 (f2p) or left4dead2 (not f2p) don't have that many maps either

lol, what? tf2 has over 30+ official maps and probably thousands of user created maps. same with l4d2, there are over 10 campaigns with each having 4+ maps each and again, and a ton of community created maps.

how many tf2 payload maps are there? if you add up all other maps for other modes (how many official modes does ns2 have?), then yes it's a fairly large number. nonetheless, relative to their player base, it's not THAT many maps! if you're going to do benchmarking, never look solely at absolute numbers.

also, where do community created maps come from? among others like game concept, a good confidence in the game stability and performance! we don't see that many for ns2, do we?
    SupaFred wrote: »

that is a haswell at 4.4GHz. i may have exaggerated on my previous post and that was my experience of trying to host one during the b229 days, so while things may have improved significantly, that is still a consumer grade high end cpu. does a 3 x 24 player tf2 require just as high end cpu?
    edited May 2014
    anyway, it seems like they aren't keen in giving ns2 an overhaul anymore and just wants to milk every last bit of it. so i assume their objective is just new payable content and new payable content with little regards to fixes (unless critical) from now.
    for future projects that use Lua, we will architect things from the ground up with LuaJIT in mind. As for NS2, unfortunately, it's hard to make those kind of changes this late with a gigantic code base.

good luck to a dying community. i really loved the game concept back from ns1 and now but i'm just not satisfied with where they place their focus.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members

how many tf2 payload maps are there? if you add up all other maps for other modes (how many official modes does ns2 have?), then yes it's a fairly large number. nonetheless, relative to their player base, it's not THAT many maps! if you're going to do benchmarking, never look solely at absolute numbers.

also, where do community created maps come from? among others like game concept, a good confidence in the game stability and performance! we don't see that many for ns2, do we?

who ever said anything about game modes? at the end of the day it's content no matter how you want to twist it to try and win a forum argument.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    nonetheless, relative to their player base, it's not THAT many maps! if you're going to do benchmarking, never look solely at absolute numbers.

What?! What twisted kind of logic is that? "The more players we have, the more maps we need. If we have a 100 million players we will need a thousand maps or else they'll get bored!"
    What matters is the individual player. If the individual player is bored on 10 maps, then 20 more maps could change that. Same goes for the next individual player. Just because you increase the playercount from one to two doesn't mean those two guys suddenly need double the amount of maps!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    anyway, it seems like they aren't keen in giving ns2 an overhaul anymore and just wants to milk every last bit of it. so i assume their objective is just new payable content and new payable content with little regards to fixes (unless critical) from now.

Game is over a year and half out since release... Why on earth would you expect an "overhaul?" Why shouldn't they support, and try to get the most out of their product in what ways they can?

• moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Regarding the new map vs. fixes/perf thing, that is actually a fair point. Yes, we chose to spend a lot of the donated money on a new map. Maybe we should have spent it on contracting one programmer (probably fsfod) to optimize the game for 2-3 months? That's how long it probably would have taken to get a significant bump in perf - it would basically involve changing 50% of Lua code, everywhere. But, that still would've been risky - would the perf actually get much better after that? How much better? How many MORE bugs would it introduce? It would certainly break ALL mods. So, at the end of the day, you can see why making a new map is a much safer bet than a complete overhaul of the code.

We have definitely learned from the performance woes of NS2 (yes, we absolutely acknowledge it as an issue), and for future projects that use Lua, we will architect things from the ground up with LuaJIT in mind. As for NS2, unfortunately, it's hard to make those kind of changes this late with a gigantic code base.

How mechanical is the process of refactoring to take advantage of LuaJIT? Is it the sort of thing you can do with only making local changes to the codebase? Do you guys have a profiler that you trust? Is there enough test coverage that you'd have a way of trustIng community contributions?

I'd really enjoy working on this periodically if its a tractable thing to do. I'm not familiar with either Lua or LuaJIT, but if its just a tedious process rather than a difficult one, it wouldn't be hard to learn.
    edited May 2014
    nonetheless, relative to their player base, it's not THAT many maps! if you're going to do benchmarking, never look solely at absolute numbers.

What?! What twisted kind of logic is that? "The more players we have, the more maps we need. If we have a 100 million players we will need a thousand maps or else they'll get bored!"
    What matters is the individual player. If the individual player is bored on 10 maps, then 20 more maps could change that. Same goes for the next individual player. Just because you increase the playercount from one to two doesn't mean those two guys suddenly need double the amount of maps!

exactly my point. you don't need many maps to keep a big player base. don't make my argument sound like a twisted logic - what i've tried to point out is those two games have such a huge player base relative to the number of official maps. what @ns2isgood pointed out is that big games are successful as a result of content i.e. precisely what you quoted.

tf2, l4d2 have small number of maps. so does ns2, ergo you do not need new content to sustain a big player base.
    edited May 2014
    2cough wrote: »

Game is over a year and half out since release... Why on earth would you expect an "overhaul?" Why shouldn't they support, and try to get the most out of their product in what ways they can?

correct. my point being there's only going to be new and more new content with little technical support.

oh look, i just repeated myself
    edited May 2014

who ever said anything about game modes? at the end of the day it's content no matter how you want to twist it to try and win a forum argument.

then why are you comparing apples with oranges? there's no relevance to your argument so why do you even want to twist my logic? i've never wanted to "win a forum argument". i just analyzed that this was a failed direction and indeed uwe has learned from it.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited May 2014
    I don't make your logic look like anything here.

First you said

ns2isgood then responded that those games do, indeed, have a lot of maps.

You then claimed that this amount of maps is low, compared to the userbase - just like with ns2.

Ergo, you say the amount of map a FPS needs is relative to their playerbase, which brings me to my original point...

edited May 2014
    I don't make your logic look like anything here.

First you said

ns2isgood then responded that those games do, indeed, have a lot of maps.

You then claimed that this amount of maps is low, compared to the userbase - just like with ns2.

Ergo, you say the amount of map a FPS needs is relative to their playerbase, which brings me to my original point...

let's do this is in plain, broken english.

tf2 and l4d2 - wow, successful games - huge player base! number of maps? not many. ok.

ns2? successful too! big player base! but only initially :( number of maps? not many too! ok.

but why are they successful?! number of maps? no! it's good game concept (which ns2 has), AND good performance (which ns2 has failed terribly).

how to repair this state of dropping player base crisis?!

A. fix the performance
    B. add new dlc like skins and maps

uwe's answer: B

payload maps - 10 maybe? player base for just payload maps? BIG
    ns2 maps - 10 including the new kodiak. player base? small

ns2isgood had indirectly suggested that in order to gather a larger player base, more content i.e. maps are needed.
    i have never said so.
    edited May 2014
    People continue to say we should have spent the money on performance improvements instead of a new map so I Just wanted to reiterate that 100K does not necessarily automatically equal a big performance improvement. Most of the big wins in performance were made already, and at this point it would require much more time and effort for very diminishing returns.

that's fine. an investment can never be guaranteed to make returns. and returns are always uncertain. this is more so in the game industry.
    We could endlessly argue over the impact of performance in the game right now. I don't expect to change anyone's minds on the matter, there will always be people who view it as the silver bullet that would bring in tons more players, keep people from dropping the game, and magically bring everyone back to the game who stopped playing. Maybe this was more true at the initial release of the game, but there have been huge performance gains since then.

thank you, i have personally witnessed less crashes and better gameplay albeit with ugly infestations and squarish textures. @SupaFred had also proved there had since been huge performance gains.

until performance issues have been fixed to an acceptable level (the average low~mid-end modern pc can play), people are just going to buy the game and then complain about the lag before dropping it.

uwe had weighed on this and decided that content is more important than fixes. so be it.

but if it had another $100k, would it have been spent prudently to make the game more playable for the average pc?
    We decided to spend the money on things that were more guaranteed to be noticeable, like new content. But don't forget that while Eclipse was being worked on, on the art and mapping side, programmer time was still being spent fixing bugs and issues with the game.

We could endlessly argue over the impact of performance in the game right now. I don't expect to change anyone's minds on the matter, there will always be people who view it as the silver bullet that would bring in tons more players, keep people from dropping the game, and magically bring everyone back to the game who stopped playing. Maybe this was more true at the initial release of the game, but there have been huge performance gains since then.

from this, i deduce it's no.
    I have visited the Steam forums of other successful games and just as for NS2 there's a large percentage of people complaining about performance in those games. Just something that is always going to be the case for PC games.

i'm not sure if dota2 as a successful game or even minecraft as a niche success requires a high end pc to be enjoyable - but that's just a few exceptional cases, right?
    I believe that what keeps people from playing NS2 is not the performance, but the overly punishing game mechanics that prevent many new players from sliding easily into the game. Face it, NS2 is a brutal game for new players, with a steep learning curve and limited rewards to encourage these new players to keep playing. We've learned a lot making NS2, that our future projects will certainly benefit from, but at this point, to make a big difference to player counts NS2 would probably need to be reworked from the ground up.
    you are correct. just like any other RTS and MOBA games, punishing game mechanics are what make games so addictive and fun. that's why i have waited over 10 years for ns2.
    All that said, we are very thankful that NS2 was successful enough to allow us to keep making large updates to it a year and a half after it's release, which is pretty rare in the game industry.

thank you too. i was able to rekindle with some players i met from ns1 because of ns2.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig
    People continue to say we should have spent the money on performance improvements instead of a new map so I Just wanted to reiterate that 100K does not necessarily automatically equal a big performance improvement. Most of the big wins in performance were made already, and at this point it would require much more time and effort for very diminishing returns. As Steve said it would involve most of the game being rewritten to take full advantage of things like Luajit, something which would likely have huge repercussions throughout the game, breaking stuff left and right, with an unknown end result. We could spend months and months on it and end up with a gain of 5 fps. Sure, some people would notice that, but most wouldn't.

Why should it not result in a huge gain? Why would NS2 only gain 5 FPS?
    Earlier you explained how investing into a mapping team works and how it yields quality maps. You have several mappers and prop designer/graphics designers involved and the entire team works together to yield a big awesome result.

Why is that not possible for performance? If you spend 100k on a team to do work for any aspect of a game I would expect a great end result. How is performance the huge dice roll that you are making it out to be?

I agree that 5 FPS would not be worth it but I have a hard time believing that would be the "common result" of a developer putting 100k or something similar into increasing performance for their game. That just doesn't make sense to me. Is performance just one of those weird things where X time * X effort does not = Y result? Or is this just specific to NS2 because of some of the features that have been implemented that are resource hogs?

We decided to spend the money on things that were more guaranteed to be noticeable, like new content. But don't forget that while Eclipse was being worked on, on the art and mapping side, programmer time was still being spent fixing bugs and issues with the game.

I don't think spending money on maps was a bad idea for sales.
    However, it certainly wasn't what the community was asking for the most. Bugs and fixes are always welcome and I haven't forgotten how relieved I was after some of them were implemented. I was never saying that you completely dropped everything but maps.

I don't seek to endlessly argue here. I'm mostly trying to make the point that performance in NS2 has always been a larger issue and more important than the developers of NS2 seem to realize.. or openly admit in most cases.
    I have visited the Steam forums of other successful games and just as for NS2 there's a large percentage of people complaining about performance in those games. Just something that is always going to be the case for PC games.

I believe that what keeps people from playing NS2 is not the performance, but the overly punishing game mechanics that prevent many new players from sliding easily into the game. Face it, NS2 is a brutal game for new players, with a steep learning curve and limited rewards to encourage these new players to keep playing. We've learned a lot making NS2, that our future projects will certainly benefit from, but at this point, to make a big difference to player counts NS2 would probably need to be reworked from the ground up.

All that said, we are very thankful that NS2 was successful enough to allow us to keep making large updates to it a year and a half after it's release, which is pretty rare in the game industry.

Visiting the Steam forums isn't something I would consider valuable evidence in this kind of discussion on performance. I'm in no way insulting you or anything along those lines but if you want to get down to the hard facts it's as simple as loading up NS2 on my friend's PC and getting 15-30 FPS average in an average round of NS2 public and then loading up CS:GO and getting stable 60+ FPS the entire game; every game.

Complaints on Steam forums are a given and are going to happen whether or not the game actually runs well in general or not.

The fact is that most people can run Source games on a potato. It's basic functionality and it's guaranteed. That's what NS2 doesn't have.

Going the route of "all PC games have this issue" sounds like a cop out to me. Go load up any Source game or current gen first person shooter and benchmark the game and then go benchmark NS2 on the same hardware. If you don't believe me that there is a huge difference then I will gladly do it and display it here.

I think that new players definitely have a hard time in this game but if you believe the reasoning that people leave due to that then why was the 100k not put into something that resolves that issue instead of more maps? Whether it be peformance or a lack of matchmaking/new player friendly features.. it seems like the direction of the improvements and patches was not in the right place.

All of that said, I'm really grateful for your reply and for making the game I enjoy so much.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd already be content if performance went back to pre-reinforced levels when the game was somewhat playable even on my machine.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm sure that if UWE says that they will be using the Natural Selection franchise as their launch game for their engine people will be happy.

Rumor has it that Spark 2.0 is in the works, so maybe we'll see a new Natural Selection title on their new-and-improved engine.

A Natural Selection that uses the knowledge they've gained from NS2, and with an engine that has been improved and fleshed out (also with a MUCH shorter dev time :p).

I think most people just want to be reassured that while NS2 development has slowed down, there may be plans for a continuation of the game that includes all the knowledge, experience, and improvements made from the making of NS2.

I know that I would buy that Natural Selection a few years down the road, and keep playing this one until then.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    GRASP low coupling and high cohesion is your friend. I admit I tend to neglect it too and then I regret my lazyness when a project is done. :D