So what happened in Copenhagen?

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
I've just finished watching Blind's 2.5 hour stream of the Copenhagen Games Newbie tournament. At the end of the overlong round, Vindalo0 took over for the remaining rounds, but I can't find a VOD on the stream.

If anyone can let me know what happened after the first 102min round I'd love to know. What would be even better would be to watch the other rounds :D

Comments

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    No video link. ಠ_ಠ

EDIT:
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I feel kinda bad laughing at the newbies. But it's just so entertaining.
  • chikotochikoto Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183078Members
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/comments/23l0ot/rookies_playing_a_6v6_match_during_copenhagen/cgywsqm
    Vindalo0 wrote:
    I think I fucked up majorly, I though I saved the VOD of Round 2 "forever" on twitch and wanted to upload to YT later. But I must have not clicked it or something, cause it's gone. I am so sorry and sad about this. Blame me.

I could do quick rundown: Marines or their com realized what to do and put up 3 man pressure down system and sub where aliens spawned, he had 2 cappers on the east side, that went all the way around capping everything then joining the pressure. Fights ensued on the west side but aliens never got any res or won important engagements. Marines got all the upgrades and went for the hive, we saw some medpacks and ammo dropped for the first time in the game and it was too much for aliens to handle, they died several minutes later. The round took around 25m to finish.

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »

Isn't that the real goal here? :)
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Those lerks are golden.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

Isn't that the real goal here? :)

For me it was an opportunity to see just how effective or not NS2's current systems are for new players. It is also interesting to see that it can be very hard for completely new players to ever finish a game, but that has been seen since NS2 was released.

It was a very informative match, and gives a lot to be considered.
    I for one am in favor of Rookie only servers now after watching that match. You could see them learning on their own. After two or three games of that sort, they'd be ready to graduate to a more guided system with veterans.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Big surprise: lerk is really not noob-friendly. Personally I think it's the movement of it. A little difficult to pickup.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    This was great entertainment. I remember when I started ...
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    I for one am in favor of Rookie only servers now after watching that match. You could see them learning on their own. After two or three games of that sort, they'd be ready to graduate to a more guided system with veterans.

True, but you need veteran commanders. The commanding aspect is something you learn how to do better the longer you play on the field. (you learn the basics like tech trees and where RTs are located).
    Spa wrote: »

True, but you need veteran commanders. The commanding aspect is something you learn how to do better the longer you play on the field. (you learn the basics like tech trees and where RTs are located).
    Quite so, I wish the game was big enough to have a tiered system. Rookies start with other rookies in a 'sandbox' type game where they learn things the hard way. Then they move on to games commanded by people who know what they're up to. Then they're released into the wild. But we're not quite there, and commanding rookies tends to be a bit more stressful than most players want to endure.
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    That was extremely entertaining to watch, watching them figure stuff out was pretty great.
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    Haha yes this match was fun as hell. I remember when I almost choked at the end when the one team figured out how to win - to put it in spoiler free words ;)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited April 2014
    I like it in that you can see why rookies may leave because of how difficult the game is. Not in a bad way. It can help ns2 see specific problems for noobs and maybe do something to help them with said problems (better tips in-game, etc.).

Lol the match, to me, was actually less funny and more frustrating to watch. Those damn lerks... it hurt me inside to see what they did lol.... it hurt my wee little brain. Auto heal ftw!
  • ZoundsZounds Glasgow Join Date: 2014-04-30 Member: 195683Members
    edited April 2014
    Quite enjoyable to watch that!

I've got ~200 hours in the game now so I hope I know at least most of the basics. However I remember all too well the cluelessness of being brand new. Some of the stuff that's taken entirely for granted by a player with a few hours under his or her belt can fluster a new player entirely.

My inner monologue was something like:

"Zounds, go build the RT in Overlook"
    Oh god! responsibility!

"Ok, keep calm I can do this. Now where is Overlook? *checks map* ah! I see it on the left side of the map. just down this hall from skylights...shit a left turn? *checks map again* no that's west junction overlook is further down.

Right, I'm guessing this extractor blueprint is the RT the commander mentioned. Shit it's unpowered I always forget that! Oh I heard an alien. "Incoming skulk or two coming to Shit. Where was I again? *checks map* overlook from *checks map* sub sector.

Nevermind, I'm dead."

Having to check the map for navigation rather than instinctively checking it every few seconds for information on how the battle is progressing is a real growing pain for new players.