Game not responding for a few seconds - Windows Kernel Mode Driver

jackson7jackson7 France Join Date: 2013-10-05 Member: 188594Members
Hello there.

So I've got a recurrent problem with NS2 these days. It's not much but it really is annoying when it occurs during a PCW or some important action (oooh, lifeforms loss...).
The problem is that when I play sometimes the game seems to randomly stop working for about 10sec, the screen becomes black, then NS2 disappears from the screen (but it's still running though). It feels like a forced alt+tab, but I've got no control on it, and I seem to be disconnected from the server for this period of time. When I come back my ping is 999, 10sec have passed and when NS2 finally works again I've got all the informations of the previous 10sec in 1sec. Many many kills on my top-right corner !!! Much pewpew.

Anyway, it seems to be some kind of display problem, or something about my graphic card because I managed to take a screenshot of an error message:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnevfplz8evxdok/NS2 wtf.jpg

It's talking about this Windows Kernel Mode driver, but I've got no idea of what this is, I had no idea I got this on my computer, I don't know what it does, and I am compltetely lost. Oh and I'd like this thing to stop.

So, anyone here got the same problem? Or is it just me doing something wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3q9ta2s6lgi388/tech_support_jackson.zip <--- Here's my tech_support to help you guys to find out, if you can.

Here are my specs :
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
System Model: MS-7758 (MSI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1GB)
Available OS Memory: 8146MB RAM

Please help. I can provide any further information. If this had been discussed somewhere else, you can all bitchslap me.

Comments

• TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    edited April 2014
    Since the display driver crashed, did you verify your video card drivers are up to date?
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers
  • jackson7jackson7 France Join Date: 2013-10-05 Member: 188594Members
    edited April 2014
    Yes, they're all up to date, I've got the geforce manager software (GeForce Experience) that manages the drivers, tells me to update them, and collects informations to optimize my game settings.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I've got a gtx 550 ti, system is pretty similar to your's. Very infrequently do I experience that, but I certainly have. I've actually stopped updating my drivers after reading somewhere that sometimes it's better to leave your drivers in a known working state or the one's it shipped with or something like that. Anyhow, I don't think I've seen that message in a while now.

Here's a quick link that I've not thoroughly read, but has some info on that.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/98465/htg-explains-when-do-you-need-to-update-your-drivers/
    Rule: Don’t fix what isn’t broken.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Well thats not entirely true as drivers can fix performance issues and improve stability in most cases.
    But yes at times it can be a decrease.
    (not to speak of programs which definitely should be updated)

Best thing is to deinstall your nvidia driver and install it fresh and shiny, perhaps a older version.
    Windows Kernel mode driver, basicly means that that driver can potentially bluescreen your pc IF it fails to hard.
  • firepowerfirepower Join Date: 2011-02-01 Member: 79839Members
    edited April 2014
    I only instal minimum of drivers, I don't have 3D, so don't install any 3D drivers, I also don't install nvidia update. I do update drivers often. You should also check your video card is inserted correctly, reinsert to be sure, is your pc case cool enough, video card overheating? As above remove and install fresh drivers. You can also delete the NS2 folder under users/%name%/Roaming/Natural Selection 2 as this has many setting, and can get corrupted and cause problems.
  • jackson7jackson7 France Join Date: 2013-10-05 Member: 188594Members
    Yeah ok thanks. So I deleted stuff in the NS2 folder (mods and so on), downloaded a former version of the NVidia drivers (I reinstalled the recent ones anew several times but not results). I actually got a few BS recently, yeah, and that scared me.

It's been two days with those former drivers I downloaded from NVidia and there's no problem yet. I'll tell if there's something new. Thanks a lot !
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Also bluescreens are basicly a panic mode for windows kernel.
    It should point you to the cause of the panic. :)