Combat Standalone Revealed - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @F0rdPrefect‌ - I have been reliably informed that all that is 'speculation' on behalf of acid_rain. There is no final idea of what is going to be in there and what will be available. They have ideas, but everything needs to be agreed, tested and implemented successfully.

Thanks. I edited it in so no one misses it.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited April 2014
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @soccerguy243‌
    One part of the feedback form had multiple boxes to check for what amount they'd pay for the product, so if those and the people in here are anything to go by.. I am not concerned ;)

What they say and what they do tend to be massively different things, least here in the UK.

@daveodeth, how dare you leave out our US politicians!

On a side note, as much as I hated combat in ns1, I may b tempted to gift my ns2 key for this game. I rarely play vanilla now BC I can't handle people not knowing how to play and I was usually forced to be commander so that made it worse... least I can pew pew more.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Garry's Mod isn't standalone in the truest sense of the word. You need to own at least one game that uses the Source engine in order to use the GMod.

I think that hasn't been the case for a while now, but I could be wrong.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    No, you need to buy GMod, it was free till version 9, then version 10 was pay only. It is £5.99 currently, and you can only use assets from the other source engine games you own.

but gmod is a mod, the fact that it now ships with the hl2 assets as opposed to requiring them installed already doesnt change that. People are willing to buy it then fine but gmod plays completely different to hl2. Where as ns2 combat is merely a game mode for ns2, its like buying quake and then paying for a standalone version of quake with CTF instead of just deathmatch, nothing wrong with that i guess, but i just dont see many people being to thrilled with paying all over for ns2 again. I just think financially it isnt going to be all that profitable but i guess the truth is its just a game mode and shouldnt require much work in the first place.

You never played gmod have you.

It is not a mod at all. If you think it is, please point me to which game it is a mod for.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2014
    Don't you dare say CS is not a mod!
    TF2 is a mod too btw!

And don't forget about Killing Floor, DoD, Red Orchestra, Alien Swarm, Dear Esther...
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited April 2014
    Regnareb wrote: »
    TF2 is a mod too btw!

And don't forget about Killing Floor, DoD, Red Orchestra, Alien Swarm, Dear Esther...

Cough..Natural Selection.. cough ;)
    But yeah some cool mods out there evolved into standalone games this is not new by any stretch, ofc we are using most of the vanilla NS2 stuff but just wait and you will see what we got in store for ya.

I don't mean to be a tease here but there are somethings that we just need to keep secret, otherwise if you know its coming weeks before we show it then where is the fun in that?
    Another reason for keeping other things secret is that we are experimenting with the game to find that sweet spot, if we show something and it turns out that it just doesn't work and we remove it then I hardly think anything good will come out by showing it too soon and that is just the nature of game development.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Meh.

Until we get proper bugfixes for the original NS2, I am not buying anything.

Good luck with that, lets hope that with it being stand alone they can at least fix the major simple bugs like the file not found workshop glitch and maybe NS2 will learn how to fix their game when they see the code lol.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Jibrail wrote: »
    Regnareb wrote: »
    TF2 is a mod too btw!

Cough..Natural Selection.. cough ;)
    But yeah some cool mods out there evolved into standalone games this is not new by any stretch, ofc we are using most of the vanilla NS2 stuff but just wait and you will see what we got in store for ya.

I don't mean to be a tease here but there are somethings that we just need to keep secret, otherwise if you know its coming weeks before we show it then where is the fun in that?
    Another reason for keeping other things secret is that we are experimenting with the game to find that sweet spot, if we show something and it turns out that it just doesn't work and we remove it then I hardly think anything good will come out by showing it too soon and that is just the nature of game development.

How dare you tease us. Now I demand to PT combat. I will give out all of these secrets.
    edited April 2014
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Meh.

Blaming Faultline games for your complaints about (UWE's) NS2 development is pretty low.
    That's like saying you wouldn't be buying NS1 until the NS1 mod team fixed bugs in HL. Ridiculous.

Don't feed the troll.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Price tag? $9.99? $14.99?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    DarkATi wrote: »
    Price tag? $9.99? $14.99?
    Lots of discussions are going on internally about the price point but nothing is set in stone yet.
  • STARSBarrySTARSBarry Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67671Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ok so this is standalone cool, but since it uses basically everything from NS2 models and animations I don't mind paying again but can we please get the option to BUY fricken alternative looks for the marines or HELL unlock them through gameplay, as much as I like the standard marine I like my elite one more ¬_¬
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    STARSBarry wrote: »
    ok so this is standalone cool, but since it uses basically everything from NS2 models and animations I don't mind paying again but can we please get the option to BUY fricken alternative looks for the marines or HELL unlock them through gameplay, as much as I like the standard marine I like my elite one more ¬_¬

That or update people's humblestore pages for the Reinforced and Alpha armors with an additional code for it to work in Combat Standalone.

It shouldn't be too hard to do and it would provide more incentive for older supporters to pick up the new game.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Meh.

Blaming Faultline games for your complaints about (UWE's) NS2 development is pretty low.
    That's like saying you wouldn't be buying NS1 until the NS1 mod team fixed bugs in HL. Ridiculous.

He's quite obviously not blaming Faultline games for anything. Presumably, UWE will get a substantial cut of the profits from Combat sales, and if he's legitimately that unhappy with ns2 then it makes complete sense not to reward them with any more money.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Meh.

He's quite obviously not blaming Faultline games for anything. Presumably, UWE will get a substantial cut of the profits from Combat sales, and if he's legitimately that unhappy with ns2 then it makes complete sense not to reward them with any more money.

We don't know, nor need to know, any of the financial details behind this. Clearly the Combat team are intending to make sufficient money to live and support future game development from Faultline Games, and that is actually nothing to do with UWE.
    He doesn't have to buy anything he doesn't want to, but he also doesn't have to complain at a new development team (which is precisely what his pointless post was doing) about the state of play in UWE's camp.
    If that isn't the impression he wants to give, then he needs to word his arguments much, much more clearly.
    Now, if he'd have posted this in the subnautica forums, then that would be more understandable (though I don't agree with his position, he is at least entitled to say that). But this is a thread about the new standalone combat game, and is not being developed by UWE.
    Sometimes, just sometimes, it's worth not being an arsehole and trying to piss on other people's parades.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    But only sometimes.
    edited April 2014
    Meh.

We don't know, nor need to know, any of the financial details behind this. Clearly the Combat team are intending to make sufficient money to live and support future game development from Faultline Games, and that is actually nothing to do with UWE.
    He doesn't have to buy anything he doesn't want to, but he also doesn't have to complain at a new development team (which is precisely what his pointless post was doing) about the state of play in UWE's camp.
    If that isn't the impression he wants to give, then he needs to word his arguments much, much more clearly.
    Now, if he'd have posted this in the subnautica forums, then that would be more understandable (though I don't agree with his position, he is at least entitled to say that). But this is a thread about the new standalone combat game, and is not being developed by UWE.
    Sometimes, just sometimes, it's worth not being an arsehole and trying to piss on other people's parades.

Quit with the strawman argument. He's not directing his complaints at the new development team (unless I missed the part where he says "get your shit together, Faultline Games!"). He is simply choosing not to buy a game, and gave his reason. I do not necessarily agree with his position, but you are vastly misrepresenting it.

Why would you give money to a company you're dissatisfied with? And why would giving your reason for not buying something be 'pointless' ? Knowing why a potential customer didn't buy something can be valuable information. Pointless would have been simply saying that he's not going to buy it and give no reason.

I don't even know what to make of your first stanza. However, unless UWE is literally making nothing from this, I don't even need to understand whatever point it is that you're trying to make.

As for the assertion that somehow a complaint about ns2 belongs on the subnautica forums instead of the ns2 forums - are you even reading what you're saying? I understand that it's a thread about combat, and that it's going to be standalone... but still...

Before you put words in my mouth too, let me be clear: his position is not my position. I am just pointing out that he should be able to have this position, without it being bended and misrepresented to make it seem worse than it actually is. Sure, it's a negative position. But it's an entirely reasonable one for a dissatisfied customer.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @d0ped0g The key words in his statement are: Until we get proper bugfixes for the original NS2.

This is something that is unrelated to Faultline games, and is totally outside of their control.
    To paraphrase that statement again in a different way to help you understand why it's completely ridiculous:
    "I'm not going to buy your product until the company that you're working with fixes their own product."
    That is what he said.
    That's not bending or misinterpreting his words.
    As for the assertion that somehow a complaint about ns2 belongs on the subnautica forums instead of the ns2 forums - are you even reading what you're saying? I understand that it's a thread about combat, and that it's going to be standalone... but still...
    Subnautica is being developed by UWE. NS2 was developed by UWE. If he's not going to buy subnautica in a dirty protest at UWE, then the subnautica forums would be the logical place to express that...

I'm sorry that you don't seem to understand this, I really am. I don't know how I can express it any more simply, though. :(
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @d0ped0g The key words in his statement are: Until we get proper bugfixes for the original NS2.

This is something that is unrelated to Faultline games, and is totally outside of their control.
    To paraphrase that statement again in a different way to help you understand why it's completely ridiculous:
    "I'm not going to buy your product until the company that you're working with fixes their own product."
    That is what he said.

They use the same game engine, if he isnt happy with it, why would he buy a new game with the same engine.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I am happy when people break free from the 'mod friendly' ns2. It seems to make things a lot easier. But it is still a bitter pill to swallow that the ns2-combat-mod is dead. I ignored everything in ns2 that I don't like in hope that at least it would dwell a strong and healthy mod culture like ns1 did. And now we have to pay for combat in order to play it. I whish you the best and success, but I don't think I want to pay for something that was already in ns2 for free at some point. It is a strange situation IMO...

Maybe I will change my mind if the game will get a lot of new stuff, modi and maps. Maybe then I pay for it. Btw, what is the plan for the maps? You use all ns2_combat maps or will you create a whole new set of maps and go as far away from the ns2 mod as possible? Will you be able to make maps without the ns2 limits (view distance etc.) and new features or are you stuck with the ns2 code? Your website is not very informative in any aspect of the game ;)
    edited April 2014

That is what he said.
    Subnautica is being developed by UWE. NS2 was developed by UWE. If he's not going to buy subnautica in a dirty protest at UWE, then the subnautica forums would be the logical place to express that...

I'm sorry that you don't seem to understand this, I really am. I don't know how I can express it any more simply, though. :(
    He's not punishing Faultline for ns2 by not buying Combat. He's punishing UWE for ns2 by not buying Combat, and Faultline is just receiving collateral damage. He, like a lot of people here, probably has zero opinion on Faultline games.

'Punish' is probably too colourful a word, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

It's not "I'm not buying your product, Faultline, because of UWE". Yes, that's not bending or misinterpreting, but it's completely ignoring the context that (presumably) $x go to UWE for every unit sold. So look at it more like this: "I'm not giving UWE any more money" (with Faultline not even entering the equation)
    If he's not going to buy subnautica in a dirty protest at UWE, then the subnautica forums would be the logical place to express that...
    Now THAT makes sense. What you said before - did not.

Although it's not an fair comparison. It doesn't belong on Faultline's forums, because the complaint isn't against them. And what you essentially stated originally was: it would make more sense to go to the subnautica forums to express that he's not going to buy an ns2 mod that is going standalone than because of his complaints with ns2. That somehow a completely unrelated (beyond UWE of course) game's forums is a more appropriate place than the relevant thread about NS2:Combat in the ns2 forums? Again, I ask you to read back over what you're saying, think about it, and if you still argue this particular point further I assume you are doing it for sport. To make it easier for you I have put all things relevant to his post in bold and the things that are not relevant to his post in italics.
    Again, I ask you to read back over what you're saying, think about it, and if you still argue this particular point further I assume you are doing it for sport. To make it easier for you I have put all things relevant to his post in bold and the things that are not relevant to his post in italics.

I didn't explicitly spell out what I was referring to by 'this,' but actually if he had posted his EXACT words in the subnautica forums, the same meaning would have been extracted by logical inference of its posted location: that is to say, his words were non-specific and because they were posted in this thread, are assumed to apply to Combat. Had that same post been made in SN sub-forums, they would have been assumed to apply to subnautica (and would have made more logical sense).

So no, what I wrote DOES make sense, you just misunderstood it because you assumed the assumption that we all made about his post also applied to the new meaning of his post, assuming he posted it in another context.

Obviously.
    edited April 2014
    Again, I ask you to read back over what you're saying, think about it, and if you still argue this particular point further I assume you are doing it for sport. To make it easier for you I have put all things relevant to his post in bold and the things that are not relevant to his post in italics.

I didn't explicitly spell out what I was referring to by 'this,' but actually if he had posted his EXACT words in the subnautica forums, the same meaning would have been extracted by logical inference of its posted location: that is to say, his words were non-specific and because they were posted in this thread, are assumed to apply to Combat. Had that same post been made in SN sub-forums, they would have been assumed to apply to subnautica (and would have made more logical sense).

So no, what I wrote DOES make sense, you just misunderstood it because you assumed the assumption that we all made about his post also applied to the new meaning of his post, assuming he posted it in another context.

Obviously.

I see. I now understand what you meant, but originally didn't think you meant it that way because it was in reply to a post where I said: "if he's legitimately that unhappy with ns2 then it makes complete sense not to reward them with any more money".

Sales of NS2:Combat and Subnautica will both make money for UWE, so I thought you couldn't mean it that way when, if you understood my post, it would be clear that "Until we get proper bugfixes for the original NS2, I am not buying anything." makes sense both ways (to post those exact words in this thread or subnautica forums) - because they both make UWE money. Thus I had to interpret it another way, although still got it wrong, so my bad. But no, not "Obviously.", as it was fair to assume that what I posted didn't fall on deaf ears, which it's becoming increasingly clearer it did.

Anyway, he said "anything". That almost certainly doesn't mean "anything from Faultline games" considering the complaint is at UWE. It certainly does mean "anything from UWE", and I'm fairly sure this extends to games that would make them money too, considering Combat is in that category, and he made this post, here, in this thread.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    shonan wrote: »

That is what he said.

They use the same game engine, if he isnt happy with it, why would he buy a new game with the same engine.
    Because they can change the engine to their own liking?...
    It's not a Mod anymore, and therefore not limited by *anything* ns2 does, correctly or incorrectly.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    As far as I am aware, and I could be wrong, they don't have access to the Spark Engine source code.
  • odkkenodkken Join Date: 2013-09-14 Member: 188234Members
    As far as I am aware, and I could be wrong, they don't have access to the Spark Engine source code.

Not yet we don't