Combat Standalone Revealed - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2014
    it doesnt look like the standalone uses assets nopt found in ns2, its essentially a fully realized game mode for ns2. hardly can be called a standalone game when it shares 99% of assets and uses community developed maps.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Postawa wrote: »
    Best news so far in 2014, glad uwe is finally supporting the construction of combat. Anyone denying the success of standalone combat lacks business sense, it'll sell well, you'll see..
    No one that isn't interested in NS2 will buy it
    After watching *thousands* of players enjoy themselves thoroughly over the weekend at PAX, most of whom have never played NS2 according to the feedback sheets they filled out - I will say that you sir, are incredibly wrong.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    it doesnt look like the standalone uses assets nopt found in ns2, its essentially a fully realized game mode for ns2. hardly can be called a standalone game when it shares 99% of assets and uses community developed maps.

All of Garrys Mod's assets come from HL2 and many servers require you to get CS:S assets.

So you're also saying Garrys Mod isn't standalone?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Garry's Mod isn't standalone in the truest sense of the word. You need to own at least one game that uses the Source engine in order to use the GMod.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Will there be any changes to the victory conditions? Sadly it's very anti climax to kill the enemy hive/cc as it is done with no effort and completely depends on the rest of your team which combat itself does not
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    No, you need to buy GMod, it was free till version 9, then version 10 was pay only. It is £5.99 currently, and you can only use assets from the other source engine games you own.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    No, you need to buy GMod, it was free till version 9, then version 10 was pay only. It is £5.99 currently, and you can only use assets from the other source engine games you own.

but gmod is a mod, the fact that it now ships with the hl2 assets as opposed to requiring them installed already doesnt change that. People are willing to buy it then fine but gmod plays completely different to hl2. Where as ns2 combat is merely a game mode for ns2, its like buying quake and then paying for a standalone version of quake with CTF instead of just deathmatch, nothing wrong with that i guess, but i just dont see many people being to thrilled with paying all over for ns2 again. I just think financially it isnt going to be all that profitable but i guess the truth is its just a game mode and shouldnt require much work in the first place.
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Everything in this news feed is narrated by Hugh in my head. Am I crazy?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    PuphBall wrote: »
    Everything in this news feed is narrated by Hugh in my head. Am I crazy?

Nope, that's perfectly normal. It doesn't help that he has quite a distinctive way of formulating, both writing and talking :D
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Cuel wrote: »
    Will there be any changes to the victory conditions? Sadly it's very anti climax to kill the enemy hive/cc as it is done with no effort and completely depends on the rest of your team which combat itself does not
    Might be, we are rapidly testing things around so I'm not sure where it will end up.

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    If it is not a problem, can you please explain why after 18+months of NS2, we have not 1 single custom player character? Aside from re-skins of current player models, no-one has been able to create and get a custom player model working. I have had people trying for me since back in the beta. It is one of the reasons McGlaspie had to develop the custom skins mixin, another being Steam Workshop file sizes.

If it was that easy, one of the many modellers from the NS community would have made one. I believe the HA was brought into NS2c, but as far as I am aware, that still has no animations.

its not THAT hard to rig a player model onto the existing bones, i did it last week as a test to figure out how long it would take. i spend roughly 10 minutes, without having any rigging experience. the result was really ugly though, just didnt spend enough time weighting the vertixes :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    As I mentioned, in a later reply, rigging onto the same bones is one thing, but as an example, one of the things I want is a dragon with a tail, and that means custom animations, custom bones. I won't begin to mention the other characters I need. Unfortunately, despite the variance of the NS2 model rigs and animations, they don't cover every possibility.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The HA model in ns2c actually does have animations, just not many and most of them were really hacked together because the model itself is an export. However all the classic models were made back when we didn't have any clue how the models were compiled, and we were basically just guessing and sticking things in the model_compile file, IIRC.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I was so sad when I heard that you'd drop the combat mod and start making your own game. Didn't expect this to happen and I love the idea, and I'm really looking forward to supporting you and playing the game.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Postawa wrote: »
    Best news so far in 2014, glad uwe is finally supporting the construction of combat. Anyone denying the success of standalone combat lacks business sense, it'll sell well, you'll see..
    \
    No one that isn't interested in NS2 will buy it
    After watching *thousands* of players enjoy themselves thoroughly over the weekend at PAX, most of whom have never played NS2 according to the feedback sheets they filled out - I will say that you sir, are incredibly wrong.

Its easy when its free. Ask me how many grocery store samples have made me buy the product they were giving away... 0.

I hope you prove me wrong but I don't see it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @soccerguy243‌
    One part of the feedback form had multiple boxes to check for what amount they'd pay for the product, so if those and the people in here are anything to go by.. I am not concerned ;)
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    5$ says that 3 weeks after release combat has 2x the active player base. Simple learning curve, unique play...
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    5$ says that 3 weeks after release combat has 2x the active player base. Simple learning curve, unique play...
    Can I bet on myself? :D
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wouldn't be surprised. It's much easier to learn and that makes a big difference these days. If properly marketed Combat could be a huge success.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Given that this is a new game will it require the workshop for mods or will when compared to NS2 will it if using the workshop at least have a fall back so that your server does not get fucked every time the workshop is down like how NS2 works as this is especially frustrating for combat mod as it is now given the need for custom maps.

Also given that it is going to be released as a stand alone game I wonder what maps will be considered stock or if there will be any new ones. Can not wait to see what you all release and start up a server for it!

Who knows maybe combat will even get server side demo recording so we can catch hackers!
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Actually on a dlc note I suppose the ability exists for them to see if you own NS2 and what DLC you have in that game via steam works (possibly) and then they could give those users black armor ect if they wanted to but if steam has such a feature in the steamworks api I have not the time to check right now.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there any footage from PAX of this?
    not yet might show some during our live Q&A whenever that is gonna happen, in the meantime follow us on twitter to updates https://twitter.com/faultlinegames
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    sweetiebot wrote: »
    Played this at the PAX East booth. Was very impressed with the changes, especially with the UI overhaul, hope this brings in more NS2 players. Keep up the good work guys.
    Glad you enjoyed it! We've still got a fair amount of work to do before we're ready for release but it's really reassuring to see so many people enjoying the game. I'd say our booth was full about 95% of the time, with a fair few people coming back for seconds...
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @soccerguy243‌
    One part of the feedback form had multiple boxes to check for what amount they'd pay for the product, so if those and the people in here are anything to go by.. I am not concerned ;)

What they say and what they do tend to be massively different things, least here in the UK.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Meh.

Until we get proper bugfixes for the original NS2, I am not buying anything.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    How many maps are going to be available? Surely there's some original maps for the new release, yes?
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there going to be any kind of matchmaking or ranking system for combat?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited April 2014
    Hivelord wrote: »
    Is there going to be any kind of matchmaking or ranking system for combat?
    acid_rain wrote: »
    Combat will feature a matchmaking system, where you and your friends can queue up and play against equally skilled opponents. This means there will be room for competitive gaming, as this mode is a ranked-play mode with a ladder system. We're adding abilities to the game you've never heard of, creating additional content and weapons, creating additional maps, providing additional gameplay modes like Capture The Flag (Quake 2 style with powerups). We're looking into purchasing and renting servers to make sure the matchmaking system is always online. (That costs a lot of money you know?)

Source: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134632/the-other-uwe-booth-game-at-pax/p2

edit:
    @F0rdPrefect‌ - I have been reliably informed that all that is 'speculation' on behalf of acid_rain. There is no final idea of what is going to be in there and what will be available. They have ideas, but everything needs to be agreed, tested and implemented successfully.
    @F0rdPrefect‌ - I have been reliably informed that all that is 'speculation' on behalf of acid_rain. There is no final idea of what is going to be in there and what will be available. They have ideas, but everything needs to be agreed, tested and implemented successfully.