Perfect Peckers vs Aphex unfairly forced to forfeit a match.

tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
I (we as a team) would like to post this as a complaint against the current end result of the match Perfect Peckers vs Aphex which ended in a 'forfeit' win for Perfect Peckers. I would like to argue that team Aphex was unfairly forced a forfeit when we had 5 players online from our team and one merc tap from table of six (also a div 2 team).

Zefram, decided to override the rules and disallowed Tap to play. Which is fine and completely within the rules. I consider it in bad taste to do disallow Tap as he is playing on a div 2 team. However, we as a team still had 5 players online, on the server and ready to play. We should, at the very least have been allowed to play a 5v6 instead of forced a forfeit.

You can see we had everyone online and ready to play from Ren's stream which can be seen here:
http://www.twitch.tv/ren26/b/519294940

Comments

• tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    We also were able to field a second merc IMMEDIATELY. Which the second PP heard, they all left.

In general bad sportsmanship. We just wanted to play a game.

The main problem I have is multiple refs saying different things. But this doesnt excuse the general BM when we just want to play a game for fun.

I hope this never happens to any of you.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    5v6 is a joke, you are wasting your time & the other teams time & ren's time playing as so.

If your story is correct i think it should've been played. Judgement reserved untill the man in question replies.
  • tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited April 2014
    When we suggested another merc, rather...the SECOND we suggested another merc (Fiskbit). they ALL left the server.

Just to quote a few rules:
    NSL would like to remind teams that it is more fun and challenging to beat a 6-man team than a 5 or a 4-man team, and that you should allow substitutes as long as they seem fair.
    (e) Substitutes can not be denied in an attempt to force a forfeit.

It's unfortunate. All we wanted to do was play. We're sorry to the 50-some viewers on Ren's cast, to Ren himself for wasting his time, and in general to the community.

This isn't what NS2 is about.

I posted the following on the match page:
    After the incident described in detail in our uwe forum post, along with logs, documentation, etc. While we feel PP's behavior was unprofessional and exceedingly unsportsmanlike. We are, per Zefram's instructions, willing to reschedule and play PP at a later date.

http://www.ensl.org/matches/5538

This match will be played. And we promise when it is, it'll be worth the wait! thanks for everyone's support so far.
  • detectordetector Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187984Members
    "(e) Substitutes can not be denied in an attempt to force a forfeit."
    is the phrase to keep in mind here.
    (e) Substitutes can not be denied in an attempt to force a forfeit.
  • _Revilo__Revilo_ Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You turned up with a merc who is arguably of a higher skill level (tap), so it isn't that unreasonable of Perfect Peckers to not want to play you. In fact, turning up with a merc who is higher-skilled than the team he is mercing for is probably more unsportsmanlike.

I'm basing this off the fact that tap used to play for mimic, and afaik he is still a skilled player, and several of my friends seem to agree with me about his skill level compared to Aphex's. Feel free to correct me if he has suddenly forgotten how to move his mouse :D
  • BerendBerend netherlands Join Date: 2014-03-25 Member: 194955Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    We didn't force anything at all, I wasn't myself negotiating with zefram and the ref so I can't speak for them but we had a valid reason for refusing the merc and were also more than ready to play should you have come up with an aprovable merc in time, which wasn't the case so the admin and ref called it a forfeit.
    Last week we asked you to reschedule so we could have our saturday's off, you refused and now you ask for rescheduling 1 hour before the match.
    It's not our fault that you couldn't field a full team on the scheduled time when you had a chance to reschedule before.
    I'm sorry things didn't go the way you wanted but its definitly not our fault.

• nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    just play, who cares. no one should forfiet ever.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was looking forward to seeing the match, sad it had to go the way it did.
    That's 50 people x 40 min wasted (players excluded). Ahwell, not like we where busy anyway.

Both sides make valid arguments why they are right.
    In the end both teams failed having fun playing the game we all love.

So both teams should do a little soulsearching and figure out why that is.
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    also, from what's been said, 40 mins delay?

This is stupid. You cannot confirm mercs beforehand? or in the 15 mins you have to sort your shit out? in fact in 40 mins you couldn't?

Everything that's happened is the fault of the team that could not field 6 players. This is very, very clear cut.

Unprofessional and unsportsmanlike. Really. If you want to bring that kinda shit up, think of any other sport or game. If you can't field a team you forfeit. Very simple. You dont' play 5v4 basketball. You dont' play 6v5 hockey. That's an insult to fans, spectators, the other team, and everyone else involved.

Having to use a merc is unprofessional and unsportsmanlike to begin with.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    Kaneh wrote: »
    Easy to say when you have 15 people on a roster. Not everyone has that luxury, Kaneh.

If you look at the timeline on Ren's video, the teams didn't start joining until 40 minutes into the cast. PP left at the 53 minute mark. Do the math. They were only in the server for 13 minutes. Aphex had ample time find a more suitable merc for the match. The fact that PP just disconnected after only being on the server for 13 minutes constitutes as their behavior as unsportsmanlike and unprofessional.

Also, Aphex had 6 players ready. PP decided to not allow Tap to play, which is reasonable, but the fact still remains that they still had 6 players ready, so saying they need to "get their **** together" is uncalled for and immature.

• kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    12(a) Teams may dispute a match result after the conclusion of the match by contacting an admin before reporting match results.
    tbh if you want people to respect your position you need to utilize the dispute mechanism built into the rules of the league instead of slinging shit in as public a forum as possible. the whole thing comes off as disingenuous given that context. it makes me think you guys didn't read the rules or that you hope to manipulate opinion in your favor. this kind of action outside the mechanics of the league should only be resorted to after a complete failure of the rules and administrators, which is obviously not the case here.

also, if i couldn't field six i would take the forfeit. playing 5v6 is bad form. nobody should ever do it. that should be the rule as far as i'm concerned.
  • VaticideVaticide Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184302Members
    edited April 2014
    Define: Unprofessional - below or contrary to the standards expected in a particular profession.
    NS2 is not a profession. I and no other NS2 player make enough money to support themselves by playing NS2. Playing NS2 is a hobby. That aside, it is in the rules that using a merc is allowed.

Define: Unsportsmanlike - not fair, generous, or sportsmanlike.
    Within the rules it is stated that using a merc is allowed, making using a merc completely fair, generous and sportsmanlike.

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pretty sad to try and spin the story and not really give all the details here Tag.

• KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Vaticide wrote: »
    Define: Unprofessional - below or contrary to the standards expected in a particular profession.
    NS2 is not a profession. I and no other NS2 player make enough money to support themselves by playing NS2. Playing NS2 is a hobby. That aside, it is in the rules that using a merc is allowed.

Define: Unsportsmanlike - not fair, generous, or sportsmanlike.
    I fail to see how using a merc is not fair, generous or sportsmanlike considering that it is stated within the rules that using a merc is allowed.

you know that tagwolf brought this shit up right? that he's calling Perfect peckers unprofessional and unsportsmanlike. but if you want to argue semantics, I'll bite.

The core of the argument is that its below or contrary to the standards expected. As tagwolf wants to use the term 'professional' I'm simply using the same wording. Either way, not having your team of 6 ready at the time specified is clearly below the standards expected.

The same argument applies to sportsmanship. You're expected to have your team of 6 ready. If you don't, its not fair to the other team. Using stand-ins isn't fair because of the entire concept of having a "team."

The other team had 6 people from their team ready at the time specified. You did not. That isn't fair or up to standards, hence unprofessional and unsportsmanlike.

ModEdit: "Shiiiiiiieeet" -Sharp
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2014
    About that rule about playing 6v5, that's in the old rules that the league does not use anymore since I drafted a new set of rules that was up for community debate before the season started. Playing 6v5 would be sheer idiocy and waste of time.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    This thread is silly. I'm closing it.

@Tagwolf, please stop trying to cause drama. You already opened a thread in the appropriate place and talked with the League Admin who explained his actions and why. This is unnecessary and I'm tired of seeing your witch hunts.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I'm also a forum mod. I didn't ask for this thread to be closed and it will remain open on the NSL forums.
This discussion has been closed.