Mouse sluggishness problem after a while

RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has experienced it in NS2.

When i start the game, all is fine. I have all my settings maxed out and the game churns out around 90fps. It's all fine. But i've noticed several times now that mouse sort of becomes sluggish after a long periods of playing NS2. It's like, first map, super smooth and mouse just feels snappy and accurate. Second and all the future maps, i still have the same fps, but the mouse starts to feel like it is a bit sluggish and less responsive. You know, like those games with V-Sync mouse problems, but not in such strong form. It just feels similar to that. And with that, my accuracy seems to go down as it just doesn't feel natural anymore and is then pissing me off, making me play even worse.

Considering this happens over longer periods of time, i'm starting to suspect some sort of memory/buffer leak or something. It's just so weird. Be it stock graphic card, medium overclocked or extreme overclocked, i just bump up the framerate, but the mouse sluggish feel always appears after longer period of playing. if i exit the game and start over, it's fine again in the same way. First map ok, all next ones sluggish. Really annoying.

Comments

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    are you alt tabbing or running your pc for a while without rebooting? i need to reboot my pc alot before matches ect to regain the smooth feeling ^^
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Check your Mouse acceleration
    Full Screen, and not Full Screen Windowed
    If you have two monitors, try not running NS2 in Aero Mode.

Also, it might be silly, but check that there isn't junk in the optimal mouse's lense, I tend to get hairs up there somehow.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey, it's super effective here :D Love your videos and hints!

The thing is, this isn't some random behavior, it's happening consistently. I can play other games for hours straight and i never get this feel. Just in NS2. Might be related to something else and maybe isn't a NS2 problem by itself, but it is related to this game somehow.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Are you using raw mouse input? If not, you should (as with most games).
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    coolitic wrote: »
    Are you using raw mouse input? If not, you should (as with most games).

HUH?
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    disable window Mouse acceleration , control panel in both winxp and win7
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The usual settings have no meaning. If it was just that, then i'd have a problem from first second of the game, not only after 1 map rotation or lets say 2 hour gameplay.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    It could totally be a setting, if you add a variable to a problem, that variable could be the source of the problem. Changing the variable can either exclude it from the problem or not.
    It's not a variable if the setting is a constant. But the fact that a fixed set setting becomes different over time of playing the game means something IS wrong. Mouse sensitivity in windows and in game is default that comes with installation. I haven't changed it.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Sorry for this question, but I do this sometimes myself, so if you think it is idiotic, fair enough, but are you pressing the DPI switch while firing? That really screws me up, as well as my USB mouse DC'ing randomly in the middle of fights.
    edited April 2014
    RejZoR wrote: »
    It's not a variable if the setting is a constant. But the fact that a fixed set setting becomes different over time of playing the game means something IS wrong. Mouse sensitivity in windows and in game is default that comes with installation. I haven't changed it.
    It doesn't change a thing, it's not because something is a setting that it can't change overtime. As a 'debugger' IRL, I can assure you it is still a variable and could be the source -or not- of many problems. But at least trying it would discard it and it is fast and easy to do. Always begin with the dumb and easy things.
    I don't say it will solve the problem, I actually doubt it, but it would be one less easy thing to try.
    Try to disable the mouse software/functionalities if you have some, lower the polling rate if it is more than 500Hz, check your memory/cpu at the start of the game then again when the problem occurs. Try to disable some softwares/overlays running in the background.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    You know.. You haven't actually answered a single question that has been asked of you in this thread. (and there have been many)
    You've just began debating and insisting that you know what you are talking about. That's highly frustrating for anyone attempting to diagnose the issue or assist you, as it gives us zero data to go on. There is in fact a reason behind checking things in order when trouble shooting, and it boils down to utilizing the scientific method and to not waste your time or others. (Ala "did you turn it off... Then on?")

Help us help you: answer every question asked in this thread... Then we can continue steps to diagnose the issue.
    Why on Earth would i change DEFAULT game and Windows settings? They are not called DEFAULT just for the lulz...
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    default is often wrong is why someone would do such a thing. For example, the default behaviour of windows mouse pointer settings is to "enhance" pointer precision. Basically means screw with the consistency of mouse movements, so you never know what to expect.

Some games actually do the same thing by default, who knows why? Because they're mad is why, same insane behaviour caused mad developers to give us a mouse sensitivity slider but no number to key in exact values (pretty sure UWE does this too with ns2, have to use the damn setsensitivity command in console).
    You don't get it either. If the sensitivity would be the problem, i'd be experiencing it from first minute (hell, first second), not after 1 hour of gameplay and not before.
    You are the one not getting it, at all. If you don't want to get helped just don't post.

Or rename the topic: "Default settings could have problems? And does a variable could have an effect beyond what we can see and think, especially as a non developer?" Yes, it is a rhetorical question...
    Wait I am wrong, rename it like that: "Default settings are always right, I know what my problem is, that's why I don't need help and I know it better than you".
    If the game was working consistently with default settings, nobody would have any problems... wait... problem solved!
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Might I suggest moving this to the technical support forum?

Also @RejZoR‌ I must agree that you seem to be missing the point when it comes to addressing your issue. Part of the problem solving process (especially when its not an obvious solution) is to rule out all potential influences. As unlikely as it may seem that windows default settings would cause your problem, they are related and can be tested and ruled out.

Similar example:

Friend of mine asks me why his computer keeps randomly powering off while he is gaming. Turns out his power lead to his PC was slightly loose and he would accidentally knock it causing it to power down. It would then still power back on after he pressed the button. In solving this problem if he had been adamant that as he can turn it on the power cable cannot be the issue, I probably would have sat there for bloody hours checking temperatures/looking through logs/installing drivers to no avail. Thankfully he wasnt so belligerent and when I asked him to check the basics first it turned out to be the power cable and the problem was solved in 5 minutes not several hours/days.

Its just basic problem solving technique. If its beyond you to fix, and you want someone to help you look at a complex problem. Prove to them that its worth the in depth analysis by showing (not claiming) what they have asked you to check has no effect.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @RejZoR‌

If you want your problem solved, do what the nice people are asking, report back. Rinse and repeat and eventually a solution will be reached.
    Aaaaaah it doesn't matter, because you people clearly don't understand the problem at all. It CAN'T be mouse sensitivity settings, because the problem is NOT happening from start of the game. If it was, then sure, maybe that could be the reason. But settings don't just magically change after 1 hour just for the lulz and make the mouse sluggish. Unless the game is inherently broken in this regard, in which case it's out of my control anyway.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    If you don't cooperate, then your problem shall remain. Simple.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It sounds like you're overheating.

;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Annnndddd closed.
    Please utilize the tech support forums next time, when you decide you actually want help diagnosing the issue.
This discussion has been closed.