Player Names on Minimap

remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
I released a mod. It lets you see your team's names on the minimap.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246195029

Changes
- Trying to bring up the scoreboard with the minimap open will toggle the display of players' names on the minimap
- Parasited friendlies will show with a yellow name
- Inactive buildings will flash dark red when under attack

Tested with NS2+, Shine, Buy Menu Hotkeys, and Disabled First Person Spec. Only issue I know of is that this breaks the option in NS2+ to disable showing steam friends on the map. I can likely add some cross-support for that in if there is demand for this mod. :)

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    This is running on the TacticalGamer.com servers, if you want to check it out. After playing a couple games with this mod enabled, it's pretty hard to go back.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    We've been running this on the Tactical Gamer servers for a few days. It's AWESOME.

GREAT job, remi!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    You are MY GOD Psyke. I was bugging DEVS, modders to do it. Last thing i was told was that its not possible without C+ engine changes!!! You are the greatest! adding it to our server.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2014
    Nice. I was actually wanting to color parasited marines in the minimap, but this takes care of that, although I'll probably add it at some point. I wonder how crowded this looks for big fights though.
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    You are MY GOD Psyke. I was bugging DEVS, modders to do it. Last thing i was told was that its not possible without C+ engine changes!!! You are the greatest! adding it to our server.
    lol! Who told you that?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    From the games on TG I played last night, the nameplates in the minimap are really small (at least on 1080p) so it never felt crowded. Really cool mod.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Great little mod! I installed it on my servers.

It didn't play well with Marine vs. Marine though. All kinds of weird stuff happened. I fell below the map on connecting, the scoreboard flickered and some text strings were stretched out.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2014
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Great little mod! I installed it on my servers.

It didn't play well with Marine vs. Marine though. All kinds of weird stuff happened. I fell below the map on connecting, the scoreboard flickered and some text strings were stretched out.
    Haha, I'll have to test that out. Not one of the mods I tried it with.

Mendasp wrote: »
    Nice. I was actually wanting to color parasited marines in the minimap, but this takes care of that, although I'll probably add it at some point. I wonder how crowded this looks for big fights though.
    In an earlier version of this I changed parasited marines' icons to be yellow. It ended up making it a lot more noisy and so I took away that functionality and only kept the name turning yellow. Makes it less noisy overall.
    The names over the icons can get noisy in big fights, but since everyone is moving around the names diverge pretty quickly. This is also the reason I have it on a toggle--so that you can check who someone is when you need it, and disable it when you want less clutter without going into any menu.
    I'd also like to make my mod more compatible with yours (we are overwriting some of the same files). Right now both can be loaded, but a few NS2+ options end up getting disabled by my mod.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited April 2014
    @Psyke I got some reports from players on my servers that the mod is bugged sometimes. In this screenshot the red skulks didn't exist and the white one didn't have a name:
    player names bugged
    The server runs NS2+, Shine, NS2Stats (Shine), Mineshaft fix, Pregame Plus, jambi and kodiak.

Some quotes:
    the moment i hit show player names every single skulk on the map stops moving
    some skulks show color blue and some are red
    it sometimes just refreshes and works again

@Psyke I got some reports from players on my servers that the mod is bugged sometimes. In this screenshot the red skulks didn't exist and the white one didn't have a name:
    player names bugged
    The server runs NS2+, Shine, NS2Stats (Shine), Mineshaft fix, Pregame Plus, jambi and kodiak.

Some quotes:
    the moment i hit show player names every single skulk on the map stops moving
    some skulks show color blue and some are red
    it sometimes just refreshes and works again
    Could you check your console and see if there are any errors there?

You can also grab a full log by closing down NS2 and grabbing the file at %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\log.txt

If you or your players could do that, it would give me all the info I need to debug this. :)
    Sorry, it's too late now. But I'll try to get the logs for you the next time it happens someone on the server.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Why are mods now presented in the "Competive Play" section of this forum?
    My mod is only for seriously competitive players, obviously. :)
    @McGlaspie‌'s MvM mod totally hijacks the GUIMinimap and GUIMinimapFrame, so my mod won't work with it. Sorry!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes, yes I did hijack the minimap. Stole it like a bandit. Sadly, it was necessary to make a lot of things work, just due to how GUI scripts work. Mods cannot override specific parts of GUI scripts without having to do a metric crap-ton of extra work. Nothing is built into the existing mod-framework to allow this.

@Psyke Nice change to the minimap. Cool feature. Would you mind if I adopted your work? Credit given were credit is due of course.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Psyke wrote: »
    Could you check your console and see if there are any errors there?

You can also grab a full log by closing down NS2 and grabbing the file at %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\log.txt

If you or your players could do that, it would give me all the info I need to debug this. :)

Here are two screenshots of the console when the error occured. Does this help?
    console1
    console2

Another player on my server posted his logfile on Dropbox. It's 90 MB though so be warned. I can shorten it for you if you want.
    logfile
    edited April 2014
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    Yes, yes I did hijack the minimap. Stole it like a bandit. Sadly, it was necessary to make a lot of things work, just due to how GUI scripts work. Mods cannot override specific parts of GUI scripts without having to do a metric crap-ton of extra work. Nothing is built into the existing mod-framework to allow this.

@Psyke Nice change to the minimap. Cool feature. Would you mind if I adopted your work? Credit given were credit is due of course.
    Don't I know it. I had to set up a hook on LoadComplete to be able to do it, and if the scripts get reinitialized due to NS2+ or something I think it may break... plus I added a fun set of functions in Elixer_Utility so I could override one function without needing to duplicate every single local variable/function it references.

My preference would be to find a way to make our mods work together on this, but if that's not going to be possible I'd rather see it integrated than not. Feel free to message me on Steam.
    Here are two screenshots of the console when the error occured. Does this help?
    It sure does. What is the max number of players on your server? This indicates it is for the 35th client, which I thought wasn't possible. :)
    edit: Oh, did you have tons of bots on here?
    edit2: Or maybe my assumptions of what a clientIndex could be are just wrong.
    It sure does. What is the max number of players on your server? This indicates it is for the 35th client, which I thought wasn't possible. :)
    edit: Oh, did you have tons of bots on here?
    edit2: Or maybe my assumptions of what a clientIndex could be are just wrong.

No bots and it's a 24-player server. There were some ghost skulks on the map though.

By ghost skulks I don't mean hallucinations but skulk icons on the map that weren't players.
    Hm. Thanks! I'll get working on a fix.
    Would anyone miss the toggle functionality if I was to remove it?
    I like to be able to toggle the names on and off. In large fights the map gets cluttered with the names on.
    compromise: I'm adding a menu option to enable/disable it... and I'm adding a console command to toggle the same option (so you can do: "bind Capital minimapnames" in console to be able to toggle the names with the capslock key)
  • VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
    Is this for the minimap or the map?
  • RetracedRetraced Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182616Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    compromise: I'm adding a menu option to enable/disable it... and I'm adding a console command to toggle the same option (so you can do: "bind Capital minimapnames" in console to be able to toggle the names with the capslock key)

Is there a technical reason for removing the toggle?

Toggle on the scoreboard key was causing usability conflicts when spectating or dead. This way you can set up a different key to toggle if you want it. Most people I heard from liked to just have it on all the time.

Mod is updated with fixes for the issues you were reporting @SupaFred‌ and putting an option in the menus to enable/disable.
    Let me know if you run into any more issues.
    @Psyke‌ Thanks for the quick fix. The mod is back up on my servers and everyone seems to like it. Is it possible to make a key bind in the menu option instead of just a toggle on/off? I run 24-player servers and when they are full the minimap easily gets cluttered with the names on. I have bound the toggle to a key in the console but I know that a lot of players find that too difficult to do. Lots of rookies now with the recent sale.
    Yeah, I can investigate something. Might not get it in for a couple days