Fade abilities

DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
Hey all,

I did a search so I hope it hasn't been said before. Did not see it at least. ;)

We all know fade abilities, minus shadowstep, blow and are not worth the res investment in the upgrade. This makes the fade upgrade a pure 'do we want shadowstep' upgrade.
Stab and vortex are pretty much only useful when combined and few use it in live combat.
So I propose some changes / other abilities in the very small vague hope it will some day make it in live.

Any value discussed in this and future posts would be subject to tweakings.

* swipe.
- leave as is.

* blink.
- leave as is.

* shadowstep.
- leave as is.

* stab
- Lower damage and tie the damage only to health. (like spores.) Then make the fade absorb the damage the attack did. So for example, a 70dmg stab is a 70hp healed fade.
- If it heals just hp or armour depends on balance.
- useless vs exo, so just keep using swipe for that. (exo has no health)
- It makes a fade later ingame a bit more stronger with less heals needed.
- should stack with other heals, not replace them.

* Vortex
- redesign so the vortex spawned absorbs bullets and grenades in x range. (effectively removing them)
- possible damage armour in y range.
- Very late game & high biomass helping with game ending rather then balance switching.
- One per fade or perhaps even one per area.

Go discuss please

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    For Vortex I would love to have a trigger for that on a different key. I mean that you don't teleport on the first swipe but whenever you wish (if the vortex is still active). Hope blinking in get 2 or 3 swipes in and vortex out wouldn't be too powerful
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Allowing the fade to get out of danger every single time at pretty much zero risk while allowing them to be fully combat effective would be kinda nuts. I'd rather have it so that after the first swipe he starts to build up to a vortex in say 2-5 seconds. Allows the fade to kill one or two Marines before warping back, but doesn't let him stay indefinitely.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    That vortex change would be OP in some cases. Imagine a small doorway, both teams on opposite sides. Though I do like the idea of fade having more cc.

Stab just needs total overhaul/replacement.

Anyways, I doubt UWE devs will make new abilities at this point.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I doubt the same @coolitic but that does not mean that we can brainstorm.
    Well the suggested vortex is supposed to be near OP and on a very very high biomass.
    Stab replaced by metabolize?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It's all well suggesting new 'abilities' for the fade, but who is going to create the animations for them? Exactly, no-one.

Rather than making a suggestion of new (or new-old) abilities, instead just focus on what can be done to fix what we have.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Uhm.. the ones I suggested can be like used with current animations?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Hey all,

I did a search so I hope it hasn't been said before. Did not see it at least. ;)

We all know fade abilities, minus shadowstep, blow and are not worth the res investment in the upgrade. This makes the fade upgrade a pure 'do we want shadowstep' upgrade.
    Stab and vortex are pretty much only useful when combined and few use it in live combat.
    So I propose some changes / other abilities in the very small vague hope it will some day make it in live.

Any value discussed in this and future posts would be subject to tweakings.

* swipe.
    - leave as is.

* blink.
    - leave as is.

* shadowstep.
    - leave as is.

* stab
    - Lower damage and tie the damage only to health. (like spores.) Then make the fade absorb the damage the attack did. So for example, a 70dmg stab is a 70hp healed fade.
    - If it heals just hp or armour depends on balance.
    - useless vs exo, so just keep using swipe for that. (exo has no health)
    - It makes a fade later ingame a bit more stronger with less heals needed.
    - should stack with other heals, not replace them.

* Vortex
    - redesign so the vortex spawned absorbs bullets and grenades in x range. (effectively removing them)
    - possible damage armour in y range.
    - Very late game & high biomass helping with game ending rather then balance switching.
    - One per fade or perhaps even one per area.

Go discuss please

That life-steal for fade might just work... would have to play around with the damage to health ratio for balance. Another thought, what if instead of damage becoming health, the damage became energy?
    fair nuff. Energy or health.. Whatevers needed. Id count that as 'balance tweaks.'
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My suggestion for Vortex is essentially a single use Phase Gate. Fade drops both ends, first alien to come in contact with either end warps to the other, vortex disappears.

Mechanic wise this would have to be toyed with, I just like the idea of flashing an Onos into an enemy base. OR a poorly coordinated skulk ruining a fades escape plan. I think you would have to make a slight animation change with a color shift on the vortex when it is active, so that players know when it is a live tunnel. I would also suggest a constant energy tax of 25% until the tunnel is established. So a Fade running around with only one end placed is nerfed a little (since they get a quick get out of jail free card).
    No, that would be incredibly OP.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I can't think of a teleporting mechanic that isn't either OP or just pants.