Why the price increase?

puggeruggerpuggerugger UK Join Date: 2014-03-09 Member: 194626Members
NS2 just went up from £11 to £19 and the game is still asking for donations. What gives?

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Is something wrong with donations?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Too many næbs ruining the game causing the player base to decrease rapidly.

*snip* This is not an imageboard -Iron
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I dont think there has been a deliberate price increase. If anything steam probably changed prices in pounds. Pretty sure that the price didn't move in other currencies.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    NS2 was £18.99 the other week when I checked.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Then there was probably just a sale when OP checked the price last time.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    On that topic though, I think the game has reached the time to either go on a heavy sale or f2p. The player numbers needs to be increased.

F2p and custom skins/sounds/icons/shoulder pads/stuff would probably be the way to go. With the f2p model you will get a huge surge of players, then it will just be the question of quality of gameplay if they stick or not. They will also be less frustrated on things that don't work perfectly since the game would be free.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Grissi wrote: »
    On that topic though, I think the game has reached the time to either go on a heavy sale or f2p. The player numbers needs to be increased.

F2p and custom skins/sounds/icons/shoulder pads/stuff would probably be the way to go. With the f2p model you will get a huge surge of players, then it will just be the question of quality of gameplay if they stick or not. They will also be less frustrated on things that don't work perfectly since the game would be free.

I don't think it should be f2p, there is a topic about that disussing F2P, and I don't think it will do ns2 any good. But yes, maybe they should do weekend sales every now and then at 75% off or 90% off.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I'll have to agree with Grissi.

Most arguments in that old F2P thread don't take into account the business side of the decision. I doubt NS2 is currently making a lot of revenue for UWE (educated guess)... even with discount weekends. Anyway, a few Godar members and myself were bouncing ideas about that off Charlie in Cologne. Some pretty cool things came out of that conversation. We will just have to wait and see which direction UWE chooses to go with NS2.

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ^ Whatever it is I hope it's soon, I can't even pub ns2 anymore, no servers T_T
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What price increase? Its $1 right now. :D
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »

You must be from Australia!!
  • _mod_mod New Zealand Join Date: 2013-11-01 Member: 188922Members, Reinforced - Supporter

I'm confused aussies, Dangerzone's usually got a reasonable enough turnover time to get a game in and I've noticed a green aus server getting play too.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    _mod wrote: »

I'm confused aussies, Dangerzone's usually got a reasonable enough turnover time to get a game in and I've noticed a green aus server getting play too.

@_mod its a great 2-3 servers, but always full when I want to play (or its empty). Its sad to see the official servers gone. When I filter empty now, I get may be 6-8 Aus servers. Used to play on a NZ server (they guys there were friendly as well). Now a days, I am on Hyperion as DZ is either full or empty, and Hyperion gives me ok ping (about 250 but stable). I will trod on with NS2 until the servers all go out.

I remember back in the day of NS1, there were 3 servers as well (2 combat), and 1 vanilla (always empty), and I played on each night hoping to get a game in. Those are the breaks I guess, unless some big eSport organisation pick up NS2 comp I guess.
  • _mod_mod New Zealand Join Date: 2013-11-01 Member: 188922Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    @_mod its a great 2-3 servers, but always full when I want to play (or its empty). Its sad to see the official servers gone. When I filter empty now, I get may be 6-8 Aus servers. Used to play on a NZ server (they guys there were friendly as well). Now a days, I am on Hyperion as DZ is either full or empty, and Hyperion gives me ok ping (about 250 but stable). I will trod on with NS2 until the servers all go out.

I remember back in the day of NS1, there were 3 servers as well (2 combat), and 1 vanilla (always empty), and I played on each night hoping to get a game in. Those are the breaks I guess, unless some big eSport organisation pick up NS2 comp I guess.
    @Cannon_FodderAUS
    : /
    Yeah I use Hyperion too. Still I do cue up for DZ and in most occasions find a spot but yerh I do sometimes have to wait up to 15 minutes. I suppose it's probably a bit different for you when your timezone probably syncs up more with everyone else's ideal playtime.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They should increase the price to $6000.
    People will think; what is this expensive game? It must be very good.. ( they'd be right! )