ns2_veil - Discussion

idera13idera13 sweden Join Date: 2014-03-19 Member: 194848Members
I’m a game design student at a university in Sweden and got an assignment to analyze a popular level from a multiplayer of my choice. I’ve decide to analyze ns2_veil from natural selection 2.

So now to my question to you all: What do you think about ns2_veil? Do you like or dislike the level and is there any specific reason why you think so?

Comments

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's cool. Different from all the other maps, has some nice tactically-valuable rooms, like system, dome, all the junctions.
    Thing I dislike is overlook-skylights vent, where one gorge can control two marine resources safely until jetpakcs and fact that marines can only hold cargo until bilebomb is researched, then they are doomed. On the other hand, cargo goes down mighty fast when jetpacks are in play, so this makes cargo base pretty vulnerable for both sides.
    Another think I dislike is how nano is considered overly important. Too many games were lost because either team invested too much in nano (offense or defense) completely ignoring rest of the map.

Overall, it's my favorite map, I think.
  • jackson7jackson7 France Join Date: 2013-10-05 Member: 188594Members
    I used to hate this map, because I did not know how it works. I thought it was in favor of the aliens (quick access to Nanogrid and a second techpoint) and marines had a disadvantage because they must run A LOT in order to get some RTs. But now that I know more about this map, it's one of my favourites. You can go for a lot of different strategies on either side. But what I think is one of the trickiest aspects about Veil is the control of a few chokepoints (Dome / System Waypointing / East Junction).
    Moreover this map is well-balanced in competitive play and its shape is nice (it feels like a mix between the Y shape of Tram and the round shape of Summit), but marines tend to loseon this map in pub games because of their general unawareness (lack of zoning, people pushing the bad spots in vain, hard access to the bottom of the map ...). The marine start in nice though, easy to defend and hard to access :)
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not very suitable for public play imho, can be very tactical to play on, but it's pointless if your team doesn't have a clue or doesn't listen. Also sas a lot of annoying places where gorge can just sit in until JPs are up (also thanks UWE for making that one vent inaccessable for marines :|).
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    xen32 wrote: »
    Thing I dislike is overlook-skylights vent, where one gorge can control two marine resources safely until jetpakcs...

Hehehe somebody doesn't know how to get into the vent...

(Get on top of crate in overlook by using the wall, jump onto weird gizmo on wall towards vent, then jump to vent w/o stopping. Very tricky to do, but amazing payoff when you manage to surprise a skulk/gorge in the vent)

Back on topic: It's one of my favorite maps, though it can get a bit stale as there is only ONE marine starting location, and therefore only 3 start position configurations. Marines will usually A) Rush to nano or west/east junction, B) Rush to System or dome, or C) Rush to Sub or Pipe. Exceptions happen of course, but usually they don't stand much of a chance unless they do one of the above successfully.

Also I agree the vent in sky/overlook is annoying. It used to be much easier to get into, but they changed it and it's very rare knowledge of how to get in there unassisted, on foot. If anything, THIS is the spot where they need a weldable vent. There are few places in any other maps where this would be a good idea.

Seconding that Cargo is awful for aliens once JPs go up. Even if you have lerks/fades, it's almost impossible to prevent them from doing a ton of damage as they've got so much open air, and so many nice perches to land on, if only for a second to recharge. As a fade, you'll have to strike them down really fast, because if you wait too long you'll be out of energy, and unable to pursue for a few precious seconds. I complain, but I honestly don't know what they could do differently to make the room more alien-friendly... maybe a lower ceiling? Stuff hanging down, blocking shots from marines that are perched on top of crates, forcing them to mobilize... maybe?

These are all just minor nitpicks of course. I still find that this is one of the most balanced maps in all of ns2, after summit and tram, of course! :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really like that it only has 4 techpoints. I like the varied gameplay that specific aspect brings instead of 5tp maps. Only think I can mention that wasn't already said.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    jump onto weird gizmo on wall towards vent,
    You mean the powernode?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    I do enjoy playing Veil, but I prefer most other maps if I have a choice.

The double Resource point and 4 Techpoint setup gives a unique playstyle to the map.

That being said, I feel that the vent between Skylights and Overlook absolutely infuriating. Many times, marines will simply not even attempt to hold either resourse tower.

The tactical power of holding certain rooms is also an issue. System Waypointing, for example, is incredibly powerful.

Also, there is too much empty and unusable space around Pipeline (though this has improved somewhat recently).
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    jump onto weird gizmo on wall towards vent,
    You mean the powernode?
    Nope. Its some sort of nob on the wall.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    All the fighting is more focused into tight spots on Veil same as Eclipse. Battles over the double resource are always interesting diversions and the vent between skylights and overlook are fun for harassing a marine team that can't arrange for a marine to jump in and stop the aliens.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I like to marvel at the natural flow the map has;
    -Aliens get nano with or without a tunnel at the start
    -Provided nano is held well by the aliens in the opening minutes, marines take nano just as aliens are securing a second TP and expanding to the peripheral RTs. Very predictable trade of double for a TP almost every game on this map.
    -Alot of games hinge on this point, where marines can deny a 2nd alien hive as it's going up, or the aliens can either go for 3 hives or try to get nano back with 2nd hive tech.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this discussion went to technical / NS2 spezific for @idera13‌ 's homework :)
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The only manly way to get inside the overlook-skylights vent is to use west-junction-side entrance.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just jump on a team mates head and jump in.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It has many epic locations and the map really tells a story when you play it. The eb and flow of battle shifts around the map, usually with strong focuspoints (nano, system, eastjunction, the neck etc). I like it!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2_veil? More like ns2_walking amirite
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Veil is my favorite map because the locations are so meaningful. Not only is the level design unique, (like Refinery) but it's also meaningful. It really MATTERS if you're holding Cargo/Nano/System waypointing. These spots having a larger emphasis give you a clear grip on how the game is going, which is a nice feeling.

And all the wonderfully useful spots, like the sky/overlook vent for aliens, and the Neck phase for marines when sieging pipe.
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My favorite map as well. I think it forces Marines to communicate more and use real teamwork. All maps require teamwork but veil seems to drive it home when the consequences for dying as a marine feel more severe due to the monotonous running out of control. I don't know the exact figures for how far the distance is on Veil to the next TP compared with other maps but simply looking at Veils layout on the map makes control look very isolated. This should tell you right away that staying in groups and watching your teammates back is very important to your teams success. I imagine this causes some disdain among new players but really the best way to learn how to be a smart player, supportive teammate... play veil. IMO
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2_veil is my favorite map in NS2. It ported from NS1 beautifully and reminds me of the "good 'ole days" of NS. The fact that marines always spawn at the same tech point is great. Again, it really makes me think of NS1 and that's a good thing.
  • idera13idera13 sweden Join Date: 2014-03-19 Member: 194848Members
    Thanks everyone for responding to the thread.
    I hope you aren't trying to get us to do your homework for you :P
    This was a part of the assignment. I compare the answers you all given here, to see if the data is correct.
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its one of those maps with too many players, it is frustrating to play this map(10v10), but with something like (8v8) it doesn't seem as bad.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Anzestral wrote: »
    Every importand vent in this map (except the nano vents and sub vent) is accessable as a single non-jetpacking marine...

And when you add in the possibility of utilising actual teamwork (boosting), it becomes not only possible but trivial to get inside these vents. It's ridiculous how many times I've seen 3+ pubbers trying to coax out a lonely gorge inside the skylights vent by camping different entrances, when one guy crouching could solve the problem in seconds.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Therius wrote: »
    And when you add in the possibility of utilising actual teamwork (boosting), it becomes not only possible but trivial to get inside these vents. It's ridiculous how many times I've seen 3+ pubbers trying to coax out a lonely gorge inside the skylights vent by camping different entrances, when one guy crouching could solve the problem in seconds.
    A good Gorge won't let you kill him without a good struggle, with atleast a clogwall in your face etc. :D

• MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not a big fan of it. You *can* have some awesome games on it, but there are too many downsides to it.
    • Nano is too crucial for Aliens, which greatly restricts the number of ways the match can "flow".
    • Marines always start at the same location; this also reduces diversity.
    • System Waypointing is too powerful for Marines when Aliens start in Sub. (Less of a problem at higher average skill levels, though.)
    • Cargo is too easy for Marines to hold (ridiculously open), and completely broken balance-wise when JPs are out.
    • As has been mentioned, the Overlook-Skylights vent sucks for Marines. Accessing it is completely unintuitive to new players.

What I *do* like about it are the actual room layouts (except Cargo), and how different/unique they are. But that's about it.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Veil is my favorite map. I'm not going to go talk about every tiny detail of it, but I will say this: It's a map with 4 TP and nano. The marines spawn at the top, and so have to walk some way to either get nano (usually doesn't happen) or secure their 2nd tp. Nano is a highly strategic location, provides extra res, and is hard to take once the other team builds in it (though, it's usually easier for aliens to have nano). The thing is, you can have nano from the beginning, then mid-late game (about the time arcs come in) it's fine if you lose it since you have tons of tres/spent tres so a 3rd tp/attacking enemy becomes more important.