Removing Parasites - with the help of a Phase Gate

mikemike86mikemike86 Chester Join Date: 2013-11-28 Member: 189612Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
Had an idea for a while that may have already been spoken about, so apologies if it has...

At present there is no way to remove a parasite from a marine. Once you're hit you will show up on alien screens for a certain amount of time (about a minute?).

I propose a way to remove the parasite from a marine. The obvious way that comes to mind is via a welder - this makes the most sense from a realism point of view, but would make the parasites near useless for competitive play or against anyone who isn't doing a rambo.

The best way I can think of achieving this would be using the Phase Gates. If you phase with a parasite it gets removed. This is probably quite easy to implement from a development point of view, keeps in line with realism (maybe the PG can recognise foreign bodies and remove them?) and, more importantly, keeps the game fair.

Thoughts?

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I think para is to short as is. Good old ns1 was permanent if I remember. (well, until death).

lets not minimize parasite even more please.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS1 armory could remove para (don't think NS2 does) - at least the bugs on me animation is still there after I visit an armory.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    It would be funny if when a marine used a PG the parasite moved onto the phase, and then onto the next person to walk through...

From a balance perceptive however, parasite is... not quite underpowered, but could be slightly better. Somehow.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Parasite last a minute and I think that's how it should be imo.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    if they make para permanent im willing to think of ways to get rid of parasites.
    As for now id say keep as is.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    agreed. Para is super effective at duking marines. For that 44 secs with para, you can tie up a marine by having a presence in the room. They can't get you as you can be on the opposite side of an obstacle always. And when they reload, you can go in for another para.
  • WavyBlueWavyBlue Florida, U.S. Join Date: 2008-07-27 Member: 64711Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't forget the power parasite has early game. -para para bite- *marine dies and curses out your mother*
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    WavyBlue wrote: »
    Don't forget the power parasite has early game. -para para bite- *marine dies and curses out your mother*

Two bites one para, not the other way around.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    *para para bite*

WHAT?! Why aren't you dead?! :((
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    He meant *bite bite para* :D
    Also as Marine you can mislead a whole bunch of Aliens when you see you got parasited. Don't underestimate that too! A Marine showing on map draws a lot hardly neglectable attention.
    (you can do as if you're wielding something, but you're aiming at the vent. Or stray off somewhere alone and get some Aliens to for them disadvantaging side of the map)