Back to my roots - "Inside the Championship"

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Since I started working for Unknown Worlds, I've always had to put NS2 as a whole before my inner fanboy. That means my YouTube channel, NS2HD, the one that got me this job in the first place, always got second best.

The NS2 World Championship was a wonderful melding of developer and player. I felt very strongly about it, because I feel that I myself am a melding of developer and player. Like so many people working at Unknown Worlds, I came from the player base. At heart, that's where I am.

When the Championship rolled around, I decided I would take the opportunity to return to being a player - And make the best piece of NS2 community content I possibly could. With the help of Jess behind the camera, and the cooperation of lots of wonderful players, I set out to create a behind-the-scenes series.

Over the coming week, there will be a new episode every day. Episode 1 is live now. This series really does mean alot to me as an NS2 player. It might just be the best series of episodes NS2HD has ever had. I hope many of you enjoy it, and that it can help cement and preserve the memory of a defining weekend in the history of Unknown Worlds, NS, and all of us players.

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    No bump? :D

While I haven't been able to watch many of your videos (bloody youtube) you do put lots of effort into them, and its really cool we get this from you. Looking forward to it.

However....
    does mean alot to me

:P

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    He only bumps blog posts because they don't become visible on the forums until they get at least one comment on them (never knew why they didn't just change that in the website code, maybe it's difficult or something). This is just a normal thread so it showed up automatically
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @Blarney_Stone, yes I guessed that... But at least it means I get first post!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hugh, your timing is superb! I will have some time each evening free, but won't be able to play so this will fill that gap perfectly :) I look forward to seeing the series (will save tonight's episode for tomorrow) :)
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Loving the music overlay.. sets the right tone! Look forward to the next couple episodes!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Episode one and two now live!

Episode 3 goes live 0600PDT Tuesday
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Episode 3 now live:

• ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh, this is the best time to ask you this, since you started the thread. The thing is I was always an NS1 fan but after watching you videos on NS2 ,it made my want to buy into the beta. So what I am wondering is, while still subscribed to NS2HD, Will you be doing what I once loved watching (that is joining random servers and recording the gameplay)? Obviously you must be tied up with promotional/public speaking/Etc... now that you are apart of UWE but will you ever get back to doing what you passionately did in your free time before for became apart of UWE. I miss all the public in game specs you did and how you played, Even the bad time you played (which you where bad most of the time), and how entertaining it was! I do hope you do it again more often. I am also not particularly keen on the tournaments that have/are happening but I do watch and enjoy them, but, what was more enjoyable was when you casted games with the likes of Team#156/Cyd/HBZ/Frelge/archaea/Mr. Just normal non tournament matches. Will you ever do what you used to do or have you moved on/too busy for it all now?
    ellnic wrote: »
    Hugh, this is the best time to ask you this...

That's a big question @ellnic, it's a good question, and it's a question I can't properly answer in a concise way. Even after I joined UWE, I did continue to make public gameplay commentary videos. As of recently, I've decided to take my YouTube channel in a new direction. I've asked myself: What differentiates me from every other 'lets play/review/preview/impression' gaming channel out there in the world? The answer is: I am part of an actual development team, I am fortunate enough to travel the world and see inside events that define gaming culture (PAX, NS2WC, GDC, Steam Dev Days, GamesCom, Rezzed, etc), I regularly meet highly influential gaming people, I have high-quality video recording equipment, and birth lottery gifted me an accent that, for reasons I don't understand as I think I sound silly, other people seem to find interesting.

So I was faced with a choice: Do I attempt to leverage all those unique characteristics, or do I continue to make 'lets play' style commentary? Do I seek to grow the NS2HD audience, or do I let it tread water for years on end? The answer I've come up with is: Maintain the core NS2 focus, but create a new type of video. Shorter, punchier, higher quality, often episodic, broadly meaningful, and not necessarily NS2 related. The first real test of this was GameAperture 1, which was very successful. GameAperture 2 and 3 were also much more successful than my average 'lets play' style NS2 video. The second big test is this Championship series. I'll be watching the data develop over the coming months to determine if people like this kind of high-quality content more, and if it grows the NS2HD/GameAperture audience.

Not all of these episodic pieces will be eSport/tournament/show related. I am planning one that involves Kerbal Space Program space planes, one that explores a Subnautica development build, and another one involving interviews with influential people in gaming. I also want to do one about Natural Selection 2 commanding - But I'm not sure what form that will take yet. The Hugh that made NS2HD[1] has evolved, grown, and is seeking new experiences: Standing still, or treading water, is not an option. I understand that I will lose many subscribers in this process, but I hope (and my initial data shows this to be happening) that I will gain more than I lose, and that those new subscibers will be more entertained, more engaged, and walk away from a video on my YouTube channel having had a more meaningful experience than they otherwise would have.

And... Episode 4 is live!

• PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Am enjoying these, thank you.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Nicely done hugh, i hope there is one of the afterparty :D
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, will there be a 6th one?
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Yeah, will there be a 6th one?

Indeed!

Asraniel wrote: »
    Nicely done hugh, i hope there is one of the afterparty :D

Sorry @Asraniel! I was the one loser to crash out instead of partying. After I walked bags of equipment back to my hotel, I sat and waited 20 minutes for a cab that never came, by then it was 2am, and then gave up like a surrender monkey.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh Blind, you were at the 2014 championship you silly goose.
    Episode 7, the journey ends... (The second last!)

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The eigth and final episode - Find out what the event cost, and see Dillon get a little bit emotional:

That's it for the biggest NS2HD series ever produced!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited March 2014
    Got my name wrong in the plane ticket and extra wrong in the video :( Juan Perez, really? And Alcalde shows up twice, one with the correct name, one with the incorrect one, lol. Also Railo is there and he didn't even go!

Spanish people don't have middle names, so removing words just botches our names, we usually omit the second "last name", though. We do have 2 last names. No, do not remove the first last name, that's the important one... It's not the middle name! PLS.

:(

Damn, we need to conquer America again to right this wrong.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    My last name was also mispelled hehe. "Mendard" it's "Menard" :D

Awesome videos nonetheless! :)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Mendard sounds derpy. I like it.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Syknik wrote: »
    My last name was also mispelled hehe. "Mendard" it's "Menard" :D

Awesome videos nonetheless! :)
    That has to be my next nickname then.
  • VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
    My last name doesn't have a C in it!

Still liked the videos though
    Lol... Everyone, I am sorry about the names. I cross checked them as much as I reasonably could in the limited time I had... I apologise for the mispellings, I really do
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow