"Scenarios" mod idea

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
edited February 2014 in Modding
I'd like to see the ability to pre-define scenarios to play. This could be used to build unlikely scenarios, give one team a handicap, or just mix up the game a bit. It would be totally up to the imagination of the scenario designer, who could make each team start the round with any combination of:
- X team res, Y personal res
- Pre-place structures/entities (could either be done on a per-map or dynamic basis)**
- Selected upgrades (e.g. armor 2)
- Spawn X lifeform eggs/weapons/items
- Prevent certain upgrades/lifeforms from occurring
- Advanced feature: Change any of the above after X minutes (either once, or every X minutes)

Notes:
- A few scenarios would come with the mod, but custom scenarios could be added by the server admin by adding scenario file(s) to the appropriate location.
- The mod itself would not change game mechanics, so could be a server-side only mod. (This means it could be used with other mods as well)
- The server could set up the mod to either only start a scenario if players vote (each scenario would have its own name), or to force one to be randomly chosen each round.
- Scenario files would be text files that could be easily changed if desired

** Placement of structures/entities adds a bit of complexity, in that it could potentially tie a scenario to a specific map. While this is not a particular problem, it does make scenarios somewhat harder to reuse across maps. An alternative would be to simply list the buildings/structures each team gets and have the mod dynamically place them using a mod-specific algorithm. I would hope a scenario designer could choose the method they want, or even both -- allowing specification on as many maps as desired, with a fallback to use the custom algorithm on all other maps.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    All of the scenarios you have described require change to the game code, or at least an interception to give a false reading and change the settings. While this could be done, it is going to be harder to do without a client download than you imagine.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Ok, I was thinking it would be an added bonus...but if its too difficult, it wouldn't be worth the effort, as I think this would be an otherwise quite simple mod to implement.

I just figured that it would work similarly to how server corrects client-side prediction conflicts.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    All of the scenarios you have described require change to the game code, or at least an interception to give a false reading and change the settings. While this could be done, it is going to be harder to do without a client download than you imagine.
    Whyyyyyyyyyy

It was so damn easy in Source

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Moving this to modding (as it is a mod idea. :3)
    Don't hurt me.
  • DecoDeco Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71288Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Moving this to modding (as it is a mod idea. :3)
    Don't hurt me.

It's also an Idea and/or Suggestion.

Please keep the modding section for actual modders.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Whyyyyyyyyyy

It was so damn easy in Source

what, it's not like modding was one of the things UWE was going for when writing the game in a scripting language. :p
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    You take this like a Campaign Coop 10 players like Counter Strike Online singapore Scenario Zombie ?

YEAH :)) It will be fun like "Find the Source of Khaara" Campaign with horde of aliens and boss + limit ammo and health like L4D2