Let Your Commander Command!

DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
[rant]I have been commanding since NS1. I know how to comm for both aliens and marines, although I would never claim to be perfect. I make mistakes and bad calls from time to time.

New players are never the problem for me. Instead, my problem is usually experienced players who want to eject me because they disagree with my strategy. YOU, as a foot soldier, are NOT the commander, no matter how good you are at NS2. Your job is not to harrass the comm, but to follow orders. When you're in the chair, do what you want but when I'm in the chair you need to listen to my orders.

I was just playing a game where the entire team was marching to Sub-Sector with my Arc Train. They were following orders, while some lone marine was off jetpacking Cargo all by himself. I offered med support when possible but I had my focus on Sub, where all my marines were, where all my Arcs were. This marine in Cargo seemed to be upset that I wasn't ordering the rest of the team to come and help him, and that I wasn't offering enough ammo and med support.

Sorry... you decided to solo-ninja a hive all by yourself. You kinda get what you get.

So, seriously... please remember not to be a backseat comm and if you disagree with your comm's instructions just keep it to yourself. Finally, disagreeing with the comm's strategy should never be grounds for ejecting him.[/rant]

That is all. (P.S. Didn't there used to be a rants forum?)

Comments

• RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sorry, but you are a rubbish commander if you just ignored that marine. That "stupid" lone "ninja" marine was a potential to distract aliens from the devastation that was marching towards them. And if that marine lured 2-3 aliens away from your primary target, that could make a huge difference when defending ARC's just for long enough to kill the hive.

As for players on the field commanding the rest, i've seen it work superbly when i act as co-commander (or when others do the same), coordinating other grunts on the field. Especially since i seem to watch the map large portion of my time and giving others feedback what's going on in the field. And sometimes spotting a sneaky phasegate could mean a difference between a win or lose. Same goes the other way around for aliens with gorge tunnels. It's much easier if someone is constantly giving a team feedback. So comm can just focus on building stuff, upgrading and leading major strikes.

It always goes down to the entire team, but so far such way was always the victorious way.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    DarkATi wrote: »
    Finally, disagreeing with the comm's strategy should never be grounds for ejecting him.

Do you even know how democracy is supposed to work?

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Therius wrote: »
    Finally, disagreeing with the comm's strategy should never be grounds for ejecting him.

Democracy doesn't? :P
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it depends. Sometimes commanders are bad and think their strats are fantastic when all they have done is get us trapped with no rt's in 2 minute game. Other commanders are great.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    james888 wrote: »
    I think it depends. Sometimes commanders are bad and think their strats are fantastic when all they have done is get us trapped with no rt's in 2 minute game. Other commanders are great.

Exactly. Had some elitist comm on the server one time, who held his 100 hours of gameplay (giggle, giggle) to a very high esteem. Well this commander's brilliant strategy was to rush exos. Okay we all know this doesn't exactly work anymore... but this commander had an ace up his sleeve. You see, by not buying any res towers, he was saving a bundle on construction costs, money that he could put towards AA and the proto lab.

So as much as I loved his charisma (which consisted solely of screaming at the team for complaining, asking for meds, telling him to drop res, etc.), I DON'T think I'd follow this commander to hell and back.

His military career was tragically cut short by a dishonorable discharge, and a bunch of name-calling resulting in a ban.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    well there are good points to both sides im gona go with 'listen to your comm.'
    Considering a minimum of skill thats usually the way to go. :)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Backseat commanders are worse than rogues.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 to depends. I comm without a mike (yes I know, I should get a mike). Fact is I can't because I might wake the kids. So, I play without mike when comming.
    Yes, I ask ppl if it is ok if I don't use a mike to comm. And I try to nominate a back seat comm (field commander), someone with a mike and WILL speak up to direct the troops on the ground. It mostly works and are good games (mind you we mainly play with regulars on the same tiny number of servers in Aus).
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Sounds like your dude was doing a great job, should've given him ammo

Some one staying away from the main push is great - he might be able to take out several upgrades or better. Or die, which happens (and he should be quiet if he was given meds and ammo).

With that said there are several comms that are in need of small reminders, stuff they have forgotten, like dropping an arms lab and start upgrades etc, which should be asked in a friendly manner. Everytime I play on veil I ask comms for a PG in SWP instead of sub sector. Not once have I've seen it happen. It might be their strategy - but it's wrong. At least I don't start ranting about it but instead briefly explain why it's better
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    Field commanders are a great idea, but their role should be coordinating attacks and pushes on the targets in accordance with the comm's strategy. At the end of the day, if you go against the comm, you are likely to lose, however, I also believe there has to be a certain amount of leeway. I often run off and solo into hives etc, trying to take down ups/harvesters and pull aliens back to hive while the team is pushing on another part of the map. In one of the recent map testing sessions, I solo'd the GorgeTunnel, Harvester and over 50% damage on a hive, while my team was taking down the other hive. by the time I died and respawned, my team had marched on to the last hive and took it down in seconds.

I didn't whine and scream at my comm/team for support, however I did let them know what I was doing and how much damage I had done.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 Soul_Rider. I do that as well. Because pub games means lots of foot soldiers, when we are making a big push, 1 more marines isn't going to make a huge difference if there is already 5 in the push team. I let the comm know I am going sneak ninja a hive upgrade or a harvester (it harms the aliens more than our team). I go vanilla marine and just run to a location and wreck havoc.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    While that single marine shouldn't of gotten mad for something dumb, you seem to act like the commander practically owns their team, which I disagree with.

Also if the comms strategy is bad, I see nothing wrong with ejecting him as long as those marines know about comm strategies/see the strategy ineffective in action. However I do find players who are both ignorant and arrogant with strategy quite annoying.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would just like to clarify that I *did* drop ammo and meds for this solo-ninja marine ('cause that's how I roll and I had the res to spare). Furthermore, I am not saying that comms should not listen to their team—they definitely should.

So, if you want to start an eject vote, I guess... go ahead. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to eject a comm because he isn't doing what you think he ought to be doing all the time.
  • yrnotwrongyrnotwrong Join Date: 2013-12-07 Member: 189878Members
    Maybe you should command on the tactical gamer servers, lately when I play there the admins have been trying to militantly enforce that field players follow every micro-tactical decision that they or a commander makes in-game. Have a good contain position with a shotgun in the hallway between an alien natural and their hive? You better solo push in to the main hive across the entire room to shoot the harvester because the comm said so. Don't argue that it isn't worth it because you will die and lose the shotgun to re-spawners before killing it, or that the upgrades on the close side of the base are a better target. If you want to play on our server you have to do what the commander says, even if you know it is wrong.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Desther wrote: »
    Backseat commanders are worse than rogues.
    Meeehh.. i do think there are times when backseating is needed... and when it is, i generally try to do so in a suggestive format, such as:
    "Hey comm, do you want a ninja PG here? I already have the power to 95%.. and they are out of position..?"

(this worked wonders on my Lt. in the Marines for many years.. he always felt like it was his idea still, hehe)
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The joke in my team atm is that I comm like waitress.
    "Will we have shotguns soon?"
    "Yup, I'll get that started right now"
    Mouse wrote: »
    The joke in my team atm is that I comm like waitress.
    "Will we have shotguns soon?"
    "Yup, I'll get that started right now"

do you want fries with that sg?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited March 2014
    Man up mouse, come to my team for a week and i'll show you how it's done.
    Remember they key tools for commanding: add rude comments to every order. Use BIG WORDS. You must inspire AWE In your team, if they look down on you, they will not listen to you!
    Remember, BIG WORDS. RUDE WORDS. AWE. Are the 3 things you need

Now can i have some extra cheese on my shotguns please? Oh and an extra patty!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The worst is when comm does everything in his/her power to set your team up for victory, team can't hold res despite ammo & med support/pgs/mines/calling out players to respond, then they blame comm for loss. Or worse yet, they ask for early phase gates, ask for 2nd ip, then complain when they have to wait more than 8 minutes for armor and weapon ups on top of all this "we cant hold res" nonsense.

I'm all for the field commander, but not when it directly opposes the strat the comm is working out. Seen that one happen lots too.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't mind complete newbies. My least favorite players are the ones who have played for like 20-30 hours. They've played enough to know what everything does and they think they're experts on the game, but they don't know the deeper aspects of the strategy and they refuse to listen to anyone who does. Here's a typical round of me commanding.

annoying guy: "Guys!! We have to get into hydro! If we let them have hydro, they'll build a second hive, and if they build a second hive they'll get leap and more biomass, and then we'll never be able to come back! Forget about everything else and just attack hydro!"
    me: "um... their entire team is in hydro right now. If you go in there, you're just going to die. How about instead you just go around the rest of the map and cap res for me while they focus all their attention on hydro?"
    annoying guy: "DON'T LISTEN TO HIM I JUST WATCHED A YOUTUBE VIDEO ABOUT THIS GAME SO I'M PRETTY MUCH AN EXPERT AND YOU CAN'T LET THE ALIENS GET A SECOND HIVE"

twenty minutes later
    me: "well, might as well go and concede, folks... maybe if you had capped res and secured the rest of the map instead of suiciding into hydro over and over again we could have won."
    annoying guy: "no, comm, you're wrong! we didn't send enough people to hydro! if we had sent the entire team there we could have taken it. THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT"
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    YOU, as a foot soldier, are NOT the commander, no matter how good you are at NS2. Your job is not to harrass the comm, but to follow orders. When you're in the chair, do what you want but when I'm in the chair you need to listen to my orders.

Actually my job when playing pub is first of all to have fun with the game and secondly to make my team win.
    If the comm is not experienced enough or has not enough gamesense to make the team win I might as well start fieldcommanding or rambo somewhere else.

I have been banned from a server some days ago after a similar situation.
    I joined marines about 8 minutes in the game. Marines were desperately trying to hold at least one of their natural rts, but were struggling te get out of base.
    So I ramboed somewere next to a hive, got the comm a pg up and he started to build arcs to kill 1 of 3 hives and therefore told EVERYONE to protect the arcs and the pg. In my eyes it was pretty useless to dedicate the whole team to kill 1 hive, when the aliens have every single rt on the map, so I started to run around killing rts.
    Of course the rest of the team was unable to hold the arcs/pg without upgrades or commander support. Thats when the comm started telling me it was my fault because I wasn't defending the pg therefore am the weakest player in the team although I had a 'lucky' killstreak (17-2 or something, while the rest of the players where still working hard on getting a KD above 0.25). Well after that insult I decided to just follow the commanders orders, but since he didn't give any I just spammed my request order key. Unluckily the comm was admin on that server and banned me ^^.

Long story short. Even if you think you are the best comm in this game, when you give no or just stupid orders I will do what I think is best for the team.
    Also, the whole team in one place is almost always not the best thing (except rushing a hive for example). And since from experience I know that it is even hard for the top level prem comms to micromange every fieldplayer (just 5 in comp play) I doubt there is any pub comm who is able to micro experienced players quick enough. And a thing most pub comms are not aware of anyways is that this game is about momentum and timing. So I am just not gonna sit somewhere and wait until the comm tells me to do something, when I know the right moment has come to push somewhere or not...
  • vartijavartija Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60193Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I've never understood this mindset as either a commander or a player. I get that when people are really bossy it can get irritating, but people like that are usually the exception and if I explain why I disagree with what I think is a (really) dumb call almost every time people accept that rationale. I should stress that it takes the player saying some seriously stupid stuff for me to throw it out the window entirely, and I usually don't mute anyone unless they're blatantly trolling. The vast majority of the time I absolutely welcome any communication or suggestion from players on the ground as it's difficult for any one person, even the commander, to keep tabs on everything they can and understand the situation from every angle or have every good idea.

Now, if you ask for ammo/meds and then don't pick it up? Then I get angry. Even though it's technically still my fault for not nailing you with it in the first place, but I'm an irrational jerk so there.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Bottom line
    Whatever a marine thinks; he's a foot soldier.
    He can propose and show opportunities but when the commander make a decision, the foot soldier has to obey; period. Otherwise there wouldn't be a command chair right ?!
    (i'm not talking about power stuff, just respect and teamwork).

• KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Uh...so if a comm jumps in. Game starts..he drops 4 whips by natural..forgos upgrades for shades everywhere..15 min in still no upgrades..all without saying a single word to his team.
    We are supposed to be, "oh yeah he knows the best way to win! Let me follow u to Hell and back."

Nope. No thanks.

Seem to forget there are bad comms, just like there are bad players..a bad comm has a larger effect on his team than a bad foot soldier does. So yes, they should be under scrutiny and be questioned.

My solution? Join a servers community, comm there often and players will be less likely to complain.

P.S. - if you don't like your motives being questioned, than why join a position where x amt of players are depending on you?
  • RunkiRunki Helsingborg, Sweden Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173929Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Therius wrote: »

Yea.. I'm pretty sure that works in the real world.
    "Hey sarge, I feel we should vote about this"
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Well there's this feature that's existed forever now, called "eject commander"... Not exactly something a squad of marines irl get the luxury of having. ;-)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Ironically that marine probably did a lot more in that moment than your entire team attacking sub combined. Now, ignoring that marine in favour of medpacking/ammo the guys in sub is probably the worst call you can make in that moment. That marine flying around distracting half the alien team is so critical due to the fact that cargo is insanely good for jetpacks but also it gives the rest of your push towards sub the time to finish off the hive.

I'm not saying that having every marine go to cargo is a good idea but 1-2 more and that hive could have been killed in addition to sub. If one guy dies while attacking sub, it's barely a dent in the push but if the guy in cargo dies then suddenly every alien is focused on defending sub.

On the topic of field commanders, sometimes they work if they know what they are doing, I welcome them from time to time when I command and I do it myself but I never disagree with a commanders strategy if it is sound or not totally ridiculous.
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited March 2014
    Commander = Strategist+decision maker for the round currently underway.
    Next round = Your strategy+my turn to backseat drive that baby?

If you gave into every player's "personal agenda" request, your "creative freedom" just got took away...which in my opinion is 1 of the funnist aspects.

• NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Well there's this feature that's existed forever now, called "eject commander"... Not exactly something a squad of marines irl get the luxury of having. ;-)

Real life has the luxury of friendly fire :D