UWE .. you are your own worst enemy

BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited March 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Yes @Ironhorse .. this rant deserves it's own thread

UWE .. please .. for the love of god .. learn from your absolutely diabolical timing problems with NS2 with all your future projects.
If there was a study on how to screw up the timings of bug/performance releases, feature releases, maps, announcements, priorities .. you take the cake ..

Anyhow .. go back to the beginning ..

You made your release date (er release month) .. and released a poorly executed server browser (c'mon .. it's not as if this is a small feature that people won't be using?) .. something that was hacked together in the last week .. performance was unbelievingly shit ..
Then there were a few sales and player base rocketed for a short period ..
After something like the 4th sale .. a patch was released that greatly improved performance .. now .. by this time, anyone who might have stuck with NS2 had already bought it, tried it and disregard it due to the shocking performance they would have previously experienced.
Over-hyped announcements from Hugh
2 maps in 2 years .. (yes yes .. one had lovely rain.. but they're probably the 2 worst maps)
and now pug/match making when the player base won't support it .. seriously?

If you looked at what people were asking for from day one .. it was basically, in order..
1) performance, 2) maps, 3) match making system (server browser was commented on, but since it was 'functional' people accepted it) - that sound about right?

Anything else was really secondary/nice to haves .. I find it so hard to understand how the rework to the game regarding biomass etc. took a higher priority to a match making system .. who made these calls??!

I love NS2.. I'm still playing it and will for however long there are people to fill servers.. but its just frustrating looking at all the bad calls made in the ns2 project .. great game .. but I just wish you got the bloody timings + priorities right :/

I understand NS2 isn't going to generate much revenue for you (if any) from now .. and anything we get we should be grateful for .. I am grateful .. but timing .. timing timing timing

Check out agile development .. check out having user stories .. priorities them .. have set deliverables every 2 weeks on your projects, have demos internally of what was done and use it as a forum to get input from others within the company at this time,
I read somewhere that you guys did things very informally .. that just leads to people picking cherries and the tough stuff just gets left to the end :/

rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant
rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant
rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant
rant rant rant rant rant

waffle waffle rant waffle

frustrated as hell :/

I look forward to all the disagrees and flags .. but I don't really care as long as someone within UWE reads it :/ feel free to delete the thread etc.

Bal

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    While development of NS2 was a bit messy, there are a few things I dont agree with you about. Server browser is OK enough, the amount of maps is fine, and an indie dev making their own engine for the first time is obviously bound to have performance problems especially since it's in LUA.

The biggest mistake UWE made was that they did too many large gameplay changes and that caused problems. There were a few areas they could have improved on, but for a company making their first standalone game on their own engine, UWE did well enough.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @op, do you think mappers can code the server browser?
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    Omega_K2 wrote: »

I'm hoping for a NS3 that doesn't repeat the same mistakes

They wont make a game that they have no more Passion for.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Balmark, while I don't wholly disagree with your post about bad timing etc... on UWE's part. I have to say though, it is a small studio, so things don't happen as fast as you would like. Also, you seem to be saying that the small team should only work on one aspect one after another. I think a small company doesn't work that way, people are split up to do different things, so you would probably have people doing multiple different things on different projects at the same time (this is speculation). It would be unfair to cast accusations without having know what was behind the thinking (eg. sales timing allowed by steam etc...) Not everything is under the control of UWE as they are a small studio.

I thought it was well publicized Sewlek was doing the balance in game play (his sole role), so balances changes can be pushed out faster (not to mention the amount of feedback and beta balance tests he puts out as a test mod).

tl;dr: you made some valid points, but don't see the bigger picture (UWE = small and can't keep up with all the demands of a passionate community).
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    You're ranting like they have a huge AAA budget. Comparing to UWE to Activision or EA is rather idiotic. UWE is an indie developer and lacks the budget to hire armies of people to performance test and release new maps every quarter. Performance issues is partly related to the game being coded in LUA. Sometimes people need to calm down and be thankful that they got new maps and better performance to begin with, instead of screaming MOAR!
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited March 2014
    I think most of us can agree, that UWE have done things at the wrong time. The product itself is good. Yes, not perfect but overall a solid product and enjoyable if your PC is good enough.

You only need to look at previous "free weekends" the release bt mod as vanilla and have outdated guides which don't resemble the game at all. It's all these small things that contributed to a big problem.

I personally haven't seen any performance gains in the 2.5k hours playing this game. So, I have given up almost all hope of any performance increases.

In regards to gameplay. While it needs a few things tampered with I honestly feel the game is currently the best it's ever been.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    I sense this thread will get tons of disagrees and might even be locked. These forums are very sensitive to anything that's at all negative about UWE.

However, much of what is being said here is valid. NS2's a great game but a lot of bad decisions were made along the way. I've always felt that it could have had a much bigger playerbase if UWE had done things differently. Oh well, all we can do is hope that UWE learns from their mistakes when they approach future projects.
    edited March 2014
    Hence why I said personally Joshy. Some people have seen gains. I have not.jpg
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I find that hard to believe. Even if have some supercomputer, you would still see gains with the tweaks and game changes they implemented into the game. Hell, even when they reduced the entity count by removing crag heals stack, overall performance increased.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe. Even if have some supercomputer, you would still see gains with the tweaks and game changes they implemented into the game. Hell, even when they reduced the entity count by removing crag heals stack, overall performance increased.
    Unless he played 2500 hours consecutively without sleep in the last months. Otherwise it's really more like a _fact_ that I can confirm that performance SINGIFICANTLY improved from alpha, otherwise we'd still get 15FPS with the latest processors, but sadly it's still not good and nowhere near originally promised/announced.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited March 2014
    The most annoying to me was the Tutorials.

This game needs a learning curve that is not instantaneous like angry birds or Candy Cruch. So having the basics right is really important for new players. This usually end up in some people that just don't listen / comply and or ruin the game. Then they got a RTFM.

This game need a little organization and / or brain. Those things you don't see in other games that go dumber year by year. Every sequel is dumber : Cod last of the name, TES: Skyrim, Mass effect etc...

It is clear that the NS population that actually stays is older than other. Though these "groups" aren't incompatible (young/old farts), there is a gap.

Tutorials that ensure they cannot connect before getting the basics right would have clearly helped. The rookie problem is still going on.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why is everyone concerned with maps. We have plenty of maps. In terms of what ns2 needs... Balance is pretty good. Performance is about as good as it will get. We have plenty of maps. Whats left? Match making, which is being worked on.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »
    Why is everyone concerned with maps. We have plenty of maps. In terms of what ns2 needs... Balance is pretty good. Performance is about as good as it will get. We have plenty of maps. Whats left? Match making, which is being worked on.

It's been a year and a half since the game's release. If it had all of these things upon release, it likely would have maintained a much higher player base. I just hope that UWE learns to take their time and that their next project doesn't feel like a beta on its release day.
    edited March 2014
    The product is good. This is probably a good feedback post for UWE if they didn't already know. Mainly execution feedback which is good. Similar to telling Hugh to not wear orange pants to a cologne:)
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    joshhh wrote: »

Performance in this game goes up and down. For example my performance and server performance is significantly worse than it used to be when LuaJIT was implemented, thanks to the reinforced patch. As of 263 performance is even worse. Before reinforced we could run 24 player (yuck) slot servers on multiplay and even hypernia could handle 18 no problems, while now multiplay can barely handle 18 players.

Every time a performance gain was made in the past, it has been lost a few patches later.
    Omega_K2 wrote: »

Unless he played 2500 hours consecutively without sleep in the last months. Otherwise it's really more like a _fact_ that I can confirm that performance SINGIFICANTLY improved from alpha, otherwise we'd still get 15FPS with the latest processors, but sadly it's still not good and nowhere near originally promised/announced.

I don't know why you are using the alpha as the start of your metric when of course it is obvious that performance has improved since then. You might as well have said performance has improved 100000000 percent since the game was conceived since it didn't even run at 1 fps then. Pointless.

How about using the actual release date of the game as the start, since which there have been significant improvements of course. But once a performance gain is made it becomes the new baseline with which the performance in subsequent patches is judged. So for me, as I said, the LuaJIT patch was the best overal performance I have had in NS2 and now it is no longer as good. Performance for me is worse, relative to this new baseline, even if it is better than what it was at release or even alpa and beta.

p.s. Just for your information, I have over 3000 hours in NS2 since the beta and includes a 6 month absense 1 month after reinforced. It is not difficult to accrue many hours in a game you play regularly for 3 or 4 hours per night.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    edited March 2014
    I just hope that UWE learns to take their time and that their next project doesn't feel like a beta on its release day.

The game was prematurely ejaculated onto the market for no good reason, hence why it felt like a beta, because it was a beta.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree on the server browser, it annoys me to no end that I can't use Steam's built-in server browser to find a server without having to launch the game.

Terrible clientside modding support and servers being unable to host their own server mods annoys me even more.

The level functions doesn't come even close to the amount of tools and map variance that goldsrc maps allowed, take for instance siege maps, doors, and useable map entities.

Then there is the little things like binding gamemodes to maps, where co_sava would always load in combat. In terms of user created content ns2 doesn't even hold a candle to ns1.

If UWE is going to embrace the competitive scene, at least give us better character customization and better bindings. I don't care if it goes f2p at this point.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Doors: Extra Entities mod
    Breakables: Extra Entities mod
    Lifts: Extra Entities mod (slightly glitchy but working)
    Weldables: Extra Entities mod
    Rest of things Goldsrc had (almost): Extra Entities mod whether partially working or working just as good as goldsrc.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Doors: Extra Entities mod
    Breakables: Extra Entities mod
    Lifts: Extra Entities mod (slightly glitchy but working)
    Weldables: Extra Entities mod
    Rest of things Goldsrc had (almost): Extra Entities mod whether partially working or working just as good as goldsrc.

Neat, when can we see them to be added to the editor officially so people actually use it?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Matchmaking is a lame waste of resources that usually takes control away from the player as to what they want to play. Besides in a game like ns2 you want to mix experienced people and newbies, so the latter could learn from the former and improve the community. Ghettoising the newbies will just lead to lower quality games.
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Games are already at a terrible quality. A matchmaking putting people of same skill together in a 6v6 environment can only lead to better quality games. It would also help balancing the game wich CANNOT BE BALANCED FOR BOTH COMPETITIVE 6v6 AND PUBLIC ?v? AT THE SAME TIME.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    @Bal Worst decision in my op was to heat up the community with practically empty promises. Regarding pre-NSWC announcment and yes, I've not recovered from it yet. Might have been great for those few that are interested in it, don't get me wrong the tournament might have been great I don't begruge the comps having one, but with the way this was announced, it spoiled the fun.
    All the result I see now is 13% waist of Reinforcement cash, no additional revenue, no additional players, no additional sales (even though there was 66% off right after).
    A matchmaking putting people of same skill together in a 6v6 environment can only lead to better quality games.
    Agreed, however I doubt anything of that sort will come. I think the dev's misunderstood automatic match-making with the ENSL gathers. There is still hope for the next release (in 20 days?).
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    @Bal Worst decision in my op was to heat up the community with practically empty promises. Regarding pre-NSWC announcment and yes, I've not recovered from it yet. Might have been great for those few that are interested in it but all the result I see is 13% waist of Reinforcement cash, no additional revenue, no additional players, no additional sales (even though there was 66% off right after).
    A matchmaking putting people of same skill together in a 6v6 environment can only lead to better quality games.
    Agreed, however I doubt anything of that sort will come. I think the dev's misunderstood automatic match-making with the ENSL gathers. There is still hope for the next release (in 20 days?).

The tournament itself was very well run and an enjoyable event, but the way Hugh and UWE marketed it was beyond misleading. We were led to believe that our experience with NS2 was fundamentally going to change, and it turned out to be a tournament that only affected a small percentage of the community. Seeing as the last two "big announcements" were that tournament and the female marine skin that we already knew was coming, I don't think it's worth getting too excited about whatever is being announced 20 days from now.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    edited March 2014
    My NS2 playtime drastically decreased after the NS2WC announcement, then it bounced back up(like a ball bouncing on grass) and back down again to rest. I'm probably still going to be around, lurking in the forums, maybe helping teams create maps if I can. But unless NS2 itself improves significantly, I'm done, too many decisions poorly made(bad timing, some decisions simply bad (in my opinion anyway)).

I have never been so disappointed in a video game and it's developers in my life. Please learn from this.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    king_yo wrote: »
    Games are already at a terrible quality. A matchmaking putting people of same skill together in a 6v6 environment can only lead to better quality games. It would also help balancing the game wich CANNOT BE BALANCED FOR BOTH COMPETITIVE 6v6 AND PUBLIC ?v? AT THE SAME TIME.

The casual player doesnt like 6 v 6 and it will not work for public since people want and do join and leave whenever they feel like it.
    Competitive balance for 6 v 6 should not be a priority given the size of our comp. scene and the fact that (caps attack) COMPETITIVE PLAY IS BASICLY ALWAYS BALANCED SINCE YOU PLAY A ROUND OF BOTH ALIENS AND MARINES AND IN THE END THE SNAILS WIN ANYWAY.

@1dominator1 makes a good point about 'innovation' (skill) diffusion in the community.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited March 2014
    CCTEE wrote: »
    king_yo wrote: »

The casual player doesnt like 6 v 6 and it will not work for public since people want and do join and leave whenever they feel like it.
    Competitive balance for 6 v 6 should not be a priority given the size of our comp. scene and the fact that (caps attack) COMPETITIVE PLAY IS BASICLY ALWAYS BALANCED SINCE YOU PLAY A ROUND OF BOTH ALIENS AND MARINES AND IN THE END THE SNAILS WIN ANYWAY.

@1dominator1 makes a good point about 'innovation' (skill) diffusion in the community.

While not for NS2 in its current state, it is entirely possible to fight the tendency of players to join and leave at any point in a game. Not perfectly, but games like LoL or CS:GO competitive do pull it off to a reasonable extent. Again I'm not saying that NS2 should attempt to copy them at its current state, just that it could have possibly been done.

On the other hand, I am of the opinion that 6v6 NS2 does not work at a pub skill level regardless of leavers. In the most basic sense, with so few players it is far too difficult for pubs to coordinate defense, and far too easy to coordinate attacks (or attack successfully without coordination).