Another main menu problem

ValoValo Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46102Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
I'm sure you're all sick of hearing about problems with the menu, but here goes:

I load NS

I click on server browser or options

If i want to click on any item that has the "news ticker" below the item, eg the sort by ping has the ns2 store button beneath it, then both buttons get pressed, so i have the steam overlay opening with the store and the server list sorting.
Also some areas are not clickable due to (what im assuming to be the problem) the news ticker.

I have tried some of the common bug fixes i have found on here, eg deleting lua folders, disabling any plugins and deleting workshop folders etc. reinstall
My gpu drivers are up to date

Any further suggestions would be appreciated

Valo

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • ValoValo Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46102Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    1920 x1080
    ingame 1600x900
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    I have the exact same problem. I'm using 1280x720 and I can't even click on "Apply" at all. It only opens Steam browser. If it was only possible to disable the news feed thing...
  • ValoValo Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46102Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    same problem here :)
    Glad it's not just me!!
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Can someone post a log? This was a bug that should have been fixed in one of the patches. Not sure what one, but I remember testing it and having it working. so logs would be super kickass.

edited March 2014
    Crazy idea here:
    Can those having this issue try using the same in game resolution as their desktop resolution?
    Then report back your results.
    Thanks

edit: also, please do what confused just said
    A log of what? (/from where, only started on ns2 recently an I'm not as familiar with it as with ns1 ^_^ )

This occurs at my native resolution aswell, I am only running at a lower res as it gives me about 5fps extra
    oh and on a side note the server browser and options all function correctly when accessed ingame, it just seems when it is overlayed on something else it fails. ,
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    So @Valo, I just checked on all my installs and the news ticker doesn't overlap the options menu or the browser on any resolution I can set including the two mentioned. Mods?

Your log is in %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/log.txt or ~/.config/Natural Selection 2/log.txt on linux
    only mod is a crosshair, i'll find you the log after this game ;) and include a screenshot
    edited March 2014
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=233611067

as you can see on this the options are overlaying the reinforcement item so if i wanted to change the language, it would open the steam overlay when i clicked the right arrow.

Just checked my mods again, only other one is player badges that i can see, however i cannot turn them off as the reset button is below the news.....

edit: (when i say news ticker i mean the news on the right btw! sorry if that causes some confusion!)
    edited March 2014
    ok so I seem to have stumbled upon a fix for this.

I will detail what I did here for anyone in future who has this issue! (and the PT's to see if it can be replicated?)
    1. Open steam library
    2. Right click ns2 and choose properties
    3. Deselect the "enable the steam overlay while in-game" check box
    4. Start ns
    5. When selecting options or server browser the news box now shows an animation and disappears off to the right (never happened before for me!)
    6. Reselected the "enable the steam overlay while in-game" option
    7. Check the news box still animates when options are selected.

This seems to have fixed the problem I had.
    Any further info required just ask :) I will post any further observations I have if/when they occur.

Thanks for your help!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You are running a mod with an out of date menu like player badges.
    Crosshair mods (or mods at all) have caused issues like these before.
    I bet if you deactivate and unsubscribe from it, the issue wouldnt be there.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    You are running a mod with an out of date menu like player badges.

Look at the log... he is running a mod with the mod id 5f42a0c which is the Player Badge Mod, so that's the issue ;)
    edited March 2014
    It does appear to be caused by the player badges mod. However the problem was also preventing me from disabling it. :)
    Xhair mod is still running fine :) player badges is gone :)
    edited March 2014
    @Confused not true in my/all cases!

I never subscribed to them! Thus they don't appear in my workshop!

They were just selected as "active" on my mod menu. (Don't remember subscribing to them at any point tbh!)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=234404671

I've just checked this as I was sure i checked the workshop previously :)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    Seriously, we shouldn't have to ask for logs and to try without mods for every supoort topic (it's kind of a given). Anyways, good work there confused and ironhorse.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Don't forget that you end up with a Mod list full of crap that you will never use again, by joining a server once and deciding to never play on it again. You have then downloaded all those mods, and they remain in the mod list until you delete them from the workshop folder. That is something that definitely nneds to be looked at. Maybe a different menu for subscribed mods and downloaded mods that you can clear from in game would be a good idea. My current mod page has about 40+ mods in it, of which i subscribe to only about 5.