Frontiersmen - how it correct?

mr_TPATATAmr_TPATATA Russia Join Date: 2013-11-03 Member: 188969Members
Hello guys, i have dispute with fellow what does mean "Frontiersmen" ingame context. As a prooflink i sent him http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Frontiersmen link with game scenario...

As conclusion we have two different opinions "what does mean Frontiersmen say", and based on that, make exactly translate. Frontiersmen used in context as conflict side (as Kharaa & Frontiersmen nor Aliens & Marines).

1-st opinion: men, who defend borders
2-nd opinion: space marine

Which version is correct guys? (or you can write your version)

p.s. its important for correct translating dont blame us :p

Comments

• Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OK that's a pretty attrocious google translation but I think I understand what you're asking.

A frontier is a boundary or border, usually in the context of exploration or settlement of new areas. The US would have been called a frontier (when it was being stolen from the american indians). As would the unsettled regions of Alaska during the gold rush. Frontiersmen are people who live or work on the frontier; the early settlers and pioneers.

In NS the frontier is the expanding border of human colonization of space. The frontiersmen are the space marines who defend the frontier from the kharaa. There may be other space marines who are not defending the frontier, they are not frontiersmen.

• Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I've always considered it a propaganda term, in the NS universe.
    Frontiersmen are the people who allow us to expand and grow stronger. Normally, that would be settlers, pioneers, people who build infrastructure such as railroads and such.

In NS, they're simply the soldiers trained by the TSF to respond to the Kharaa threat.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I had always assumed it was a part of the "space the final frontier" mixed with some healthy texas ranger type mythos. Also, in case you want more on the back story angle try out: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Six_Days_in_Sanjii
  • mr_TPATATAmr_TPATATA Russia Join Date: 2013-11-03 Member: 188969Members
    Thx alot for answers guys. It's were very helpful.