Which Alien Vision do you use?

2»

Comments

• N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited February 2014
    Grey and Yellow "when servers allow it"
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189068872&searchtext

"ns2, 1st game which should include a minimum monitor hz specification ^^,
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Reubot wrote: »
    CyberKun wrote: »
    100% Alien vision or you are doing it wrong. That is stupid. Alien Vision shouldn't be on 100%.
    That kind of thinking got us into this AV limbo in the first place. The old green-orange AV was fine. Nobody complained. Why screw with it? Only good thing that came out of it is the option for minimal AV for those who want it.

Actually, there was complaining, because you couldn't see the pretty textures and stuff.
  • kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Uke's Alien Vision > #1 mod, Thanks
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Default alien vision looks like the world is bathed in iron bru, I'll stick to modded ta.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2014
    I use alien vision the way it's supposed to: In dark rooms. Elsewhere, I turn it off. I think it's perfectly fine.

Agreed. I mostly find it working fine.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    I use alien vision the way it's supposed to: In dark rooms. Elsewhere, I turn it off. I think it's perfectly fine.

I find myself completely unsurprised.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »

I find myself completely unsurprised.

Why?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    100% Alien vision or you are doing it wrong. That is stupid. Alien Vision shouldn't be on 100%.
    That kind of thinking got us into this AV limbo in the first place. The old green-orange AV was fine. Nobody complained. Why screw with it? Only good thing that came out of it is the option for minimal AV for those who want it.

Actually, there was complaining, because you couldn't see the pretty textures and stuff.

complaining from players? or from devs?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    amoral wrote: »

I prefer what we got for default vision. The faint highlighting is all I really want. Maybe if it was a bit more pronounced but I am happy as is. I will turn alien vision on if dark though as it is needed.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Use it in pitch black rooms, or when I hit it by mistake and go blind until I find the key again.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Players.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Players.

In all the time I played ns2 before they ruined av, I never once heard or saw any complaint about it.

Players.

In all the time I played ns2 before they ruined av, I never once heard or saw any complaint about it.

I did. Please don't ask me for sources. I won't dig up year old threads just to back my statement here; you may hate me for this in all eternity, but I don't think this small discussion is worth it. I know what I read, anyway.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2014
    Yes there was regular complains against the old AV, me included, the difference was that it was not as much vocal as the complains against the current AV, mainly because we could live with it, and in fact, need it.

But yes, there were complains from players.
    For me it has always been bad because it is pretty disorienting in the sense that the volumes are lost because everything is damn flat, no details are visible and you lose the proportions of the objects. I couldn't care less about seeing the art with my 600* resolution, but with my new computer I can understand even more why it was frustrating to play with the old AV.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    And this is why Uke's alien vision mod is like having pure serotonin injected directly into your eye sockets. It looks beautiful and functions brilliantly, give great depth perception and still remaining viable in lit rooms
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @meatmachine - and that is the problem. UWE do not want you to use the alien flashlight in lit rooms.

It was mentioned when the changes coame in, that if they had wanted aliens to have the flashlight on all the time, they would have made it the only vision for aliens to have, but that is not how they want it to be used, they only want it to be used like a flashlight.

That is why we have what we have.
    Where did they say this, and why did they not say anything in the alien vision thread?
    I literally never use the new av. It isn't even like a flashlight, because it is in every single way worse than normal vision under all lighting conditions.

I've already presented a perfectly reasonable and viable approach to keep everyone happy, but no, apparently sensible is not a good way forward, UWE prefers to continue to flat out ignore its most devoted and loyal fans (who've also pumped a lot of money into this game and its company).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    At the end of the day, we are just that, fans. We have a lot of ideas for the game, and how we would like to see it, but remember this, UWE has no responsibility to make the game you would like to see, and certainly has no responsibility to provide any more support for this game.

Pumping a lot of money in is something you have done out of your free choice, but it does not mean you have any say in how the game should be developed. All though they do offer that for 75,000 for a week. Most people pay because of what the game has given them they want to say an additional thank-you, if you were giving it to gain control of the game design, you made a mistake.

A lot of people pay for extras for WOW, but i don't see blizzard developing the game those people want..
    Oh come on, there was a roughly 20 page thread from all and sundry complaining about this change, and not 1 person from uwe has commented on it. Stop distracting the argument by over interpreting one side point in my post.
    There was no justification for the change, the has been no explanation for it, and the radio silence on this topic is notable as it is not the way uwe usually conducts itself.
    Oh come on, there was a roughly 20 page thread from all and sundry complaining about this change, and not 1 person from uwe has commented on it. Stop distracting the argument by over interpreting one side point in my post.
    There was no justification for the change, the has been no explanation for it, and the radio silence on this topic is notable as it is not the way uwe usually conducts itself.

It looks like they made a decision, and from what we've seen complaining won't revert this decision, rendering all this kinda pointless.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Outline is perfect. Never use alien vision unless it's pitch black.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I can't seem to get any alien vision mod working. All of them get disabled due to failing consistency checks. Hmmmh.
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    most of the aussie servers let me, so i use a mod that reverts it back to what it was originally. i don't care if i can't see the textures, cause everything is on low anyway, and i can see them when playing 'rines.

but i can make do without it when it fails consistency. i just get grossed out momentarily when i turn on the default, urgh.

do you guys remember what the default looked like when reinforced first came out? TERRIBLE UTTERLY TERRIBLE it gave me a headache instantly XD.
  • dusterduster michigan, US Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193329Members
    I used to use gliss minimal vision but i stopped after i found out it was banned on nsl. I use the gliss crosshair though
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I never used the green one, so when the orange eye melter came along, I actually found it okay for the times when the power goes out. Apart from having to freeze my eyes back solid in the freezer after use.

That being said, I find a big difference between spotting the models with bloom on than bloom off. Makes models glow that little bit to help identify them.

Seriously doubt I could play with bloom off.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I fully understand the intended use of alien vision and why it is how it is- its meant to be for night-vision, I get that. If you use it in well-lit areas you will be blinded.

It still looks ugly as hell though. Uke's alien vision mod all the way.
  • bdbkushbdbkush .ca Join Date: 2014-02-13 Member: 193974Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Custom hud now has a variable to toggle between default alien vision and huzes via console. This mod is used by NSL therefore huze's has been deemed as Ok. Just thought Id mention it as the chud update was only pushed yesterday with these additions and some may not be aware
    bdbkush wrote: »
    Custom hud now has a variable to toggle between default alien vision and huzes via console. This mod is used by NSL therefore huze's has been deemed as Ok. Just thought Id mention it as the chud update was only pushed yesterday with these additions and some may not be aware

/me goes onto a server to check. I have been waiting for this for so long! Thanks @Mendasp !