My post-NS2WC post

meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
First of all, let me congratulate wasabione, reddog, hugh, blind, generally everyone that put so much effort into making this a success. You really did a great job!

The planning, funding-arranging, people-managing and everything else an event like this requires is monstrous, and you have really pulled it together.

Seeing wasabi and reddog for the first time in front of a desk, with mics and suits and everything, just reminded me of the presentation you expect from WCs of massive titles like LoL and DOTA, you really looked great and it was nice to see NS2 associated with such a polished set!

Hugh kinda looked like he was on his way to a friends kids birthday party, but even that could not spoil it!

It was great to see requests from the community listened to, like the SWS feature, lots of first and third person views of engagements, and no face painting ;) Instead, the facebook picture competition was a great filler... Wait, I can't remember there even being a winner announced. Maybe I missed it. Oops.

The matches were intense the whole way through, and the commentary kept its momentum and was great through to the very end- its really an achievement to keep me occupied with anything for a full 7 hours!

The strategic rundowns and commander profiles were a great addition too, they were good tools to give new viewers an insight into the depth of the game, past ISE's introductory video.

All in all, you've really outdone yourself. Hats awf!

Charlie's "maybe" about next year's WC was not satisfactory however. Lets make it happen :D

Comments

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Apparently the winner was chosen, but it was definately after the stream had ended.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I was entertained throughout the entire event. I liked how they brought in the top 4 teams instead of just the top 2 like last year, leading to their being a lot more games to watch. Had an occasional stream buffering issue throughout, but that is to be expected with any live internet streaming. All together, far fewer technical difficulties than last year.

The event seemed very well managed overall and I am very pleased with how it turned out.

Just 3 very minor things I missed:

1. I would have liked to see the art competition winner announced before the stream ended. The crochet hydra was adorable.
    2. I was a little confused about how the prize money ended up being a round number ($5000 and $2500) if shoulderpad emblem sales were continually adding to it until the end... Did UWE just take the final number and round it upward, filling in the gap themselves?
    3. Speaking of shoulderpad emblems, did they ever announce the final numbers on the kills/team support from those?
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    FYI the art competition winners are on the ns2 facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NaturalSelection2
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Does anyone know if it made it to the front page of twitch? Are we going to have a big spike of greenies to chew on? :)
    I believe it was ... at least a few people said so in the twitch chat. I never looked myself.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    Yes NS2 was on the front page for about 5 hours. I got an email from Twitch Friday showing NS2 was on their "to watch" list. Good promoting by Twitch and I suspect to see an influx of newbies so be nice you guys.....

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Aha, all the excitement made me forget one important thing.

Marines won every single round, bar one.

And I thought that fact kinda makes the game look bad/imba.

UWE plz fix in time for next NS2WC :P
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    @meatmachine yet in div 3/2 and 1 its the aliens who are winning most rounds :p
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    If we are able to have a WC next year then all the finalists from the past 2 years shouldn't be allowed to compete.
    Imagine how fun it would be to actually have a chance of reaching the finals?!
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    good show guys, was a blast to watch.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    moultano wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it made it to the front page of twitch? Are we going to have a big spike of greenies to chew on? :)

It was on the front page of twitch.tv for I think a couple of hours or so exactly at 5PM CET. That was around the time when viewers spiked to 5000-ish. By the second semifinal it was down to about 3000, and towards the end just over 2000.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Aha, all the excitement made me forget one important thing.

Marines won every single round, bar one.

And I thought that fact kinda makes the game look bad/imba.

UWE plz fix in time for next NS2WC :P

Well aliens won 3 round actually. But still, thats 3 rounds out of the 15.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I kept DC'ing and refreshing, and it was on front page all the way up to definitely an hour before the end of the stream, as that was the last refresh I did from the home page.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The event was amazing! There were some really great games. I liked especially Titus' marine play (and the alien win in the semifinal!). So awesome!

The final skulk rush was a bit of a letdown, though. I mean - I understand it and would have probably done the same, but it feels a bit cheap :\
    (And I was rooting for Titus :D )

If there's a similar event in Cologne next year (and I hope there is!), I will definitely come again!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Skulk rush is cheap, but they didn't do it cheaply, I think. It was calculated and wouldnt have been possible had the marines zoned them properly
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I have to say, in my opinion, on balance of the final, Legendary Snails deserved to win. I know all marine teams won their rounds, but as Aliens, Titus never looked like winning a round, whereas the Snails looked like they could pull of an alien win on a couple of occasions.

As regards the skulk rush, I think everyone was convinced it had been denied, the going back to bite on the powernode was a stroke of genius. It convinced the marines the rush was off, well executed, great stuff :D

Both teams played exceptionally well, and it goes to show how hard this game is to balance. At the top of the tree, this game is marine sided, everywhere else it is alien sided.

Overall it was a great experience, but the whole media section was very cringe-worthy. I felt really sorry for the girl hosting it, as she seemed to be completely out of her depth, and made it seem as if she was just there for eye-candy. Also, did anyone else notice the cameras seemed to focus on Rantology for an overlong time, in comparison to the rest of the players?

I think those two things tinged the experience a little, and pandered to the stereo-typical images of male gaming communities. Overall though, it was a very enjoyable experience.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    Also, did anyone else notice the cameras seemed to focus on Rantology for an overlong time, in comparison to the rest of the players?
    Nah, it's just you paying too much attention every time Rantology was in focus. Don't you remember that moment when camera was on 3 dudes (I forgot what team was that) for like 5 minutes? :) And all chat was like 'hey cameraman, show us something else finally'

BTW, what about art contest? Winner never announced :(
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I just think on lan marines show how powerful they are because of less/no dropped shots, making things like skulks/lerks/fade show weakness -- I didn't get to watch the match from my own pov but I couldn't draw too many reasons why aliens kept losing -- I'm thinking it's more related to their slow economy start up and how heavily their economy gets damaged after the loss of important structures (marines less so, you can destroy tons of marine stuff but as long as wep/arm upgrades are out they can keep on making moves - in my opinion)
  • KbpringleKbpringle Join Date: 2013-08-21 Member: 187003Members
    "but the whole media section was very cringe-worthy. I felt really sorry for the girl hosting it, as she seemed to be completely out of her depth, and made it seem as if she was just there for eye-candy. "

This 1000% ^ Please don't put anyone through that again. It was worse that watching a 3hr marine turtle.

I would also agree with the "Creeper Cam" shots over the PC monitor, they were just kinda uncomfortable. If they do this again next year show that player's screen with a player picture / stats or history.

Almost everything else was excellent and far beyond my expectations. Congratulations to everyone involved on running a very good show.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BishopC wrote: »
    It was a blast seeing all those people you only know from pics and vids live in front of you, Flayra (who is an exceptionally nice guy, and exactly how a European imagines a nice american guy (that's a compliment)), Hugh, Wasabi, RedDog, blind, and to meet some of the guys and girls you whack or be whacked by digitally in person (without whacking). Felt like meeting people you already know.

[...]

Anyway, loved it, good work organizers! Please do it again!

This all over, BUT...

BishopC wrote: »
    no merchandise

@Flayra! I WANTED A T-SHIRT! Do you have any idea how expensive shipping to Europe is? :D
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Congrats to all the teams. They gave us some great series so hats off to everyone involved for making sure this thing was exciting.

That first game of the final. Getting dual PGs in HUB and then that ARC placement... genius. That was without a doubt the best game I've ever seen. I applaud everyone from Titus Gaming for an amazing performance and hope to see them again next season.

Also, that poor social media girl lol. That was hard to watch but the crochet hydra was pretty cool, and the lego exo.
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    See you next time????? :)

Absolutely!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    In response to the marine wins...

This was something we all found out very quickly during LAN. The game itself is fairly balanced but on 0 ping, marines land all their shots that they might miss during a normal 100 ping game. In the 2 week period up to the event, Snails and us were trading alien winning scrims all the time.

Regardless, big thanks to Wasabi, Reddog, and Zefram for doing the main chunk of planning for the event. I have not had a chance to watch it yet but everything went very smoothly. ISE's videos were top notch as well.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually don't think the game is imbalanced at the moment. Marines are superior at the highest level of play but I think both sides can win at lower levels of comp and pubs. With absolutely perfect positioning and teamwork, marines will always have an advantage over aliens.

If we were to balance the game so that aliens and marines had 50% winrates in div 1 play, aliens would likely win 70-80% of all pub matches
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    See you next time????? :)

Of course!
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's not true, you can buff aliens only at higher levels of play and also nerf them at lower levels, its just takes changes specifically designed to have that kind of effect. I would look to improving the movement abilities of aliens as a good place for tweaks to only benefit high level play.

Regardless, they were good games and the event was well coordinated, congrats to everyone that was involved.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    joshhh wrote: »
    In response to the marine wins...

This was something we all found out very quickly during LAN. The game itself is fairly balanced but on 0 ping, marines land all their shots that they might miss during a normal 100 ping game. In the 2 week period up to the event, Snails and us were trading alien winning scrims all the time.

Are there different tradeoffs in lag compensation that could favor marines in high ping situations as well, so we could balance the game in both circumstances?