What FOV do You Use?

BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
I was wondering since I just switched to max FOV and it feels like I'm moving 10x faster.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I used to play at max FoV and it was Unreal

Still do though... For me it feels much more immersive and responsive, however you do have to get used to the attack distance on aliens mostly...
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Always max because of the narrow corridors.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I WISH I KNEW - HEY UWE, WHAT'S MY NUMERICAL FOV? 20? WHAT THE F...!

^sorry, just wish they would have put actual values in the menu instead of 1-20.

I use 20 as Skulk and 15ish as Marine. I think 15 helps me shoot further as a marine. 20 as a Skulk is a must.

Btw was there a console command to show fov....
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    biggest possible ofc
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    Wait, what? People use anything other than max?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2014
    They should give us number. Also aliens have higher fov than marines. The devs do this because marines are ranged and so lower fov is good while aliens have better use of higher fov to see their surroundings. I put the setting in the middle and it's good. Remember, humans respond to sound MUCH faster than they respond to vision.

What I mean by lower fov being good for marines (though I think it's marines with the default fov while aliens have it higher), is that as you increase fov, it's hard to see things in a distance and hidden/distant targets become harder to see (due to everything becoming more distant and because of warping)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited February 2014
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    Would be easy enough to do in the form of

[-||--------------------------------------------------------------------]   - slider
       [90]     [95]    [105]      [95]     [100]   [90]   [90]    - default<-->+20
    [Marine] [EXO] [Skulk] [George] [Lork] [Fade] [F4]   - icons/names
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    15, max makes everything too small for my eyes.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    They should give us number. Also aliens have higher fov than marines. The devs do this because marines are ranged and so lower fov is good while aliens have better use of higher fov to see their surroundings. I put the setting in the middle and it's good. Remember, humans respond to sound MUCH faster than they respond to vision.

What I mean by lower fov being good for marines (though I think it's marines with the default fov while aliens have it higher), is that as you increase fov, it's hard to see things in a distance and hidden/distant targets become harder to see (due to everything becoming more distant and because of warping)
    In games where the distance are huge and you are not contained in a tiny basement, it can be a good thing to lower the FoV to get a natural zoom. But in NS2 we never see that far and the surroundings are more important in aliens and in marines (especially since the sound implementation in NS2 is so bad).

But at the end it depends also of you setup (and preferences), if you play far from your computer or if it is not a big wide screen, a lower FoV could be better. If you have a small resolution it can be impossible to detect the aliens from 'a distance', but if you have a good resolution and screen, even with the FoV at max it is easy to detect any alien.