Which Alien Vision do you use?

KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
What Alien Vision everyone is using? I'm using Uke's mod from the Workshop as I find it gives a good view without blinding me like the default vision.

Download link is here if anyone wants it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202469435

So what do you use?

1) Default Alien Vision
2) Modded Alien Vision
3) Never use it
4) Rarely use it since it was changed

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Huze minimal alien vision.
    It's for those who still want to see the game world but are looking for some contrast
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    It's for those who still want to see the game world but are looking for some contrast

I think I tried using that a while ago but found it no good when rooms are completely black and I want to move around.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Never Use It. It hurts my eyes.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Kalopsia wrote: »

I think I tried using that a while ago but found it no good when rooms are completely black and I want to move around.
    What? It's so awesome when there is no light with Huze's mod :D
    Every geometry got a keylight on it and the marines got highlighted <3
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2014
    Kalopsia wrote: »

What? It's so awesome when there is no light with Huze's mod :D
    Every geometry got a keylight on it and the marines got highlighted <3

2) Huze mod when I can.
    if not, the default vision with outlines.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    I want to use Huze's minimal vision, but can't as I play competitively and vision mods are not allowed in the NSL seasons (hopefully the minimal alien vision mod will be turned on within Menasp's cHUD in the next season?), therefore it would be bad to play pubs with minimal vision and get used to it only to have to revert come Season 4.

The default alien vision F on never ever ever ever gets used by me. It's totally and utterly useless. Even when the lights go out, I don't use it. It's easier to stay with the default sight in the dark as it's easier to see marines. F-on vision is purely and simply retarded, and I have never seen any kind of attempt at an explanation for why it was done. UWE obviously recognise that it's total crap but won't even admit their mistake. Makes me very sad indeed.

Probably one of the worst decisions that UWE ever made was ruining alien vision.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    @roobubba
    I still don't get why it wouldn't be allowed if its whitelisted by UWE itself..
    I mean i get the amount of possibilities that could be achieved with said mods, but those could already easily exist, and if someone truly wanted to hack, even competitively, they still could in a multitude of ways.

In short: it doesn't make a lot of sense. Hearing a portion of those involved with NSL say something similar makes me wonder why it hasn't happened yet.

EDIT: Interestingly, the default alien vision was revamped internally at certain points (including 2 builds ago) and looked perfect imo, (very similar to Huze's) but at the last minute was scrapped due to too much varying opinions and tastes.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @roobubba
    I mean i get the amount of possibilities that could be achieved with said mods, but those could already easily exist, and if someone truly wanted to hack, even competitively, they still could in a multitude of ways.

In short: it doesn't make a lot of sense. Hearing a portion of those involved with NSL say something similar makes me wonder why it hasn't happened yet.

I know that it is totally possible to use alien vision mods (even before it was whitelisted by UWE). I know how to do it, and I know that it was done by some people, as well.
    But the very fact that it is against the NSL rules to use a modified alien vision is why I have never done it.
    I would love it if it changes - as you say it doesn't make much sense as it is. Mendasp already included minimal alien vision in cHUD pre-emptively, and I believe the will is probably there to turn that on and allow it in the NSL rules. Hopefully @zefram or @mendasp will be able to clarify further, as I'm not fully informed on this subject.
    I have said it so many times, but uwe remains closed-eared: All that is needed is a toggle between several options. Old default vision (No outlines), new default vision (outlines), old alien vision, new alien vision (if you must), and minimal vision.
    Make it a menu option to pick one for primary vision and one for f - on secondary vision.
    Job done, everyone has access to what they want, millions of pairs of eyes need bleed no longer.

But no. Well done uwe. <slow claps>.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I have said it so many times, but uwe remains closed-eared: All that is needed is a toggle between several options. Old default vision (No outlines), new default vision (outlines), old alien vision, new alien vision (if you must), and minimal vision.
    Make it a menu option to pick one for primary vision and one for f - on secondary vision.
    Job done, everyone has access to what they want, millions of pairs of eyes need bleed no longer.

But no. Well done uwe. <slow claps>.

having options is good.
    White listing it kinda gives a muucchhh larger list of options than just that though...
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @roobubba
    EDIT: Interestingly, the default alien vision was revamped internally at certain points (including 2 builds ago) and looked perfect imo, (very similar to Huze's) but at the last minute was scrapped due to too much varying opinions and tastes.

Nooooooooo :(
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    @roobubba

Maybe because people like me make mods like this:
    268x268.resizedimage268x268.resizedimage

Damn them.

The ENSL regards it as cheating I guess? Custom alien vision was explicitly not allowed in the WC also. Had its own rule number and everything. Crazy.

Seriously though I just use the vanilla for the same reason as Roo. The glow outline is nice enough, annoying that it's the same colour for everything but whatever. I only ever enable the actual vision if the room is pitch black.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Huze's minimal vision all. the. way.

It should honestly be the default option rather than a mod
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Default mostly, unless the server is modded. In other words I use what ever the server has, whether it has a modded AV or if it just uses default
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    If you have a really good monitor set up right its not blinding at all. Get a XL2720Z and it looks awesome.
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited February 2014
    NeXuS wrote: »
    sFeBQ6Z.png
    Thank you. +1 Uke is very pleasing visually, if you haven't tried it.
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I don't generally use alien vision unless the lights just went out, in which case the default works quite well. I never understood how it "blinds" people, the contrast is sufficient and easy on the eyes. Maybe I just use different graphics settings or something?
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ukes vision disables the glow outline when not using the Alien vision, so it turns the game into like before. 100% Alien vision or you are doing it wrong. That is stupid. Alien Vision shouldn't be on 100%.
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    On servers that allow mods, I use Twilitblue's Alien Vision: Reloaded

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=177338785&searchtext=reloaded

IMHO, the default alien vision is an annoyance.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Since in officials custom visions are not allowed I never use any alien vision except for the few seconds when a room gets dark after killing a powernode.
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The original alien vision of ns2 was great, I used it almost all the time. But since they messed it up with orange blending, I'm not using it anymore (only in very dark rooms).

I also tried uke's alien vision, but it has 2 downsides:
    - Since it's based on the old alien vision, the marines are not highlighted if you have alienvision deactivated
    - It's not allowed in NSL mod ;)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Uke's alien vision mod is the best. Looks -absolutely perfect- and functions exactly how you'd want it to.

It will make your eyes cum with joy.

I played a gather the other day and was very disappointed to be reminded how bad the default AV is. UWE's reluctance to speak about AV is weird, its what I'd expect if an individual was deeply insulted by its rejection and therefore made the topic taboo.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I use alien vision the way it's supposed to: In dark rooms. Elsewhere, I turn it off. I think it's perfectly fine.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    is a different alien vision blocked by consistancy checks?
    is a different alien vision blocked by consistancy checks?

Not any more, but it is disallowed in competitive ns2 atm.

@ironhorse, indeed, so make workshop alien visions add to the list from which you select your primary and secondary vision.
    The way it has been implemented now is not a good way of doing it: new players have only the terribad current defaults with no knowledge of how to change them, and comp players are left with no option to change them due to NSL rules. Having a default subset of options allows sufficient flexibility for comp players, gives new players menu options rather than having to find out about the workshop, and doesn't impair the experienced NS2 pubber in the slightest.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    It took some time of adjusting, but I've sort of gotten used to not using the alien vision by now. Still miss the old alien vision somewhat. And although some of the custom alien vision mods look really great, unfortunately I can't be bothered with using them for thesame reasons Roobubba mentioned.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I use default non flashlight alien view for everything.
    I use default flashlight alien view if either dark or if I want to see a marine aproach when Rt biting, from the corner of my eye.
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    CyberKun wrote: »
    100% Alien vision or you are doing it wrong. That is stupid. Alien Vision shouldn't be on 100%.
    That kind of thinking got us into this AV limbo in the first place. The old green-orange AV was fine. Nobody complained. Why screw with it? Only good thing that came out of it is the option for minimal AV for those who want it.