Dropship Update (263) Released - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Has anyone noticed if theres performance improvements?
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited February 2014
    Sillies, it says NO STEP.
  • LenardLenard Join Date: 2008-02-12 Member: 63636Members
    Releasing this build was a terrible decision. It was not properly tested and so contains content that is not ready for actual play (docking), content that literally flat-lines the competitive community (arcs don't work with NSL) and even a feature that risks the security of it's users ("organized play"). For that matter, what's organized about this play? There is no play. Not only is this feature completely non-functional, it's broken in a way that the people who have been waiting for something like it for years will become extremely frustrated, trying over and over to make it work only to time out with ten players. There is a simple solution here: If a feature is not ready, don't ship it. You could have waited until tomorrow to ship this update and had docking fixed. You could have waited a few more days. You could have left the damn game the way it was until the cup was over. The fact of the matter is, I know that the people you work with are telling you exactly what I am telling you now. It's time you start listening to them. I have about six hundred hours in this game. It's not a huge amount, but a lot of it has been spent in pub matches trying to teach new players how this game works, trying to bolster the community. I even recently joined a low-level team because I want to help them get better and build interest in this game. I love it enough to devote my time in this way. Unfortunately, because of these half-baked updates, I'm now convinced that I've been wasting my time. Individually these problems may not seem enormous, but they are indicative of a systemic failure on the part of the developer. The amount of frustration this causes to your users will alienate swathes of players on every skill level, just as it has in the past. Maybe you are telling yourselves that the best players are moving on to other games because they just want to try something new, but I know in their hearts they just want to play NS. It's just too hard when the devs are working against you every step of the way.
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    Cool stuff.
    There's a nasty bug though: Gather room player count doesn't decrease when a player leaves.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Thanks for another great patch UWE, Matchmaking is something I have been looking forward to for a while!!

I was just wondering, what the plans are, in terms of maps for the gather system, I saw that you included ALL of the stock maps, which I think is awesome, haven't played some of them in a decent game yet. What I'd like to know... Look I know it's really early and the system might get pulled, but could you ponder on the possibility, to let us get some custom maps into the list, without that map having to earn official, being converted and then added by you?

I would love to be able to set up my own servers with prison running, but there really is ALOT of amazing custom maps out there, and even more coming out soon / getting started. We need them in this system aswell!
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    There is a game-critical bug in Docking, and we recommend not playing it in 263

I played docking last night and absolutely love the changes made, especially the three additional vents, and the changes to courtyard..

What exactly is this "game-critical bug" though? We played three games on Docking and everything seemed fine.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks like something an ARC would do in any other patch.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It's the Evil Knievel Arc Upgrade...
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Inactive structures don't flash red when attacked? Because we had unbuilt PG eaten and no warning was visible.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    xen32 wrote: »
    Inactive structures don't flash red when attacked? Because we had unbuilt PG eaten and no warning was visible.
    Huh. I'll have to test this and send it up. Thanks for the input.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hm. I can't see any gathers. Surely there can't be no gathers in the whole of Europe during saturday afternoon?
  • KiloKilo Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187529Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    I'd have bought an NS2WC shoulder patch if it was on the other shoulder. I quite like my elite assault decal and if I'm being forced to choose between the two, I think I'll keep that one...
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    North American upstarts?
    up·start
    noun \ˈəp-ˌstärt\

: a person who has recently begun an activity, become successful, etc., and who does not show proper respect for older and more experienced people

Not sure if I'd use the word upstart... buuuut okay. :)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited February 2014
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    I got quite some issues with this patch already,

first off, when I downloaded a new copy through steam cmd I didn't get any default .json files downloaded, this might just be me but the only thing I want is the option to disable the new balance system.

This because I arleady have a voting system through the shine ns2stats plugin configured basically the same, and the voting on forces admins and mods on the team by default as well and as hell I don't want that,

Wondering if someone can pm me the line to disable the vote option to balance teams

2nd: I have an issue with your new queing system on reserved slots, Tested, worked fine the first time, now I try again, my server has 2 reserved slots and the only thing I get now is the waiting for queue line without having the button to try to connect to the game anyways, clearly something is wrong there, Got the screenshot to prove it. Also, I notice other people be able to take advantage of the reserved slot that don't have permission to connect to it, but that might be a shine administration issue with 263

3rd, what is the game breaking bug in docking? and why should I remove it out of the rotation?

4, a suggestion for eclipse, I know u guys try to keep eclipse layout as vanilla as possible using the old ns1 layout intact as much as possible, but 4 tech points with only 9 RT's on a map like eclipse is just not enough, there should be another tech point, or a double res node to fight about in Eclipse, another strategic point for both parties to capture. Honestly, marines can lock down eclipse way to easily and in it's current state the layout of the map is clearly the cause why the map is broken, I can't even have it on my server map rotation because of that reason. It needs some drastic map changes.

for example, why not extend the horseshoe and keyhole, and create a 5th tech point? would make ns2 gameplay a whole lot more interesting, not to mention 10 RT nodes.

Sincerly,

The Tick,
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited February 2014
    When you open pub game in browser (as pop-up) .. all the players are listed as "Unknown". I will consider it as bug - not so critical, but as fail of tester's ... as it works previously

Also another issue in the same pop-up: sometimes the time spent on server goes up to xx:xx:60!
    please use floor function instead of let LUA rounding here.. I was never see time of 60 seconds .. usually it's 1 minute and 00 seconds :D

not sure if it;s this part of code, but:
    //this line:
    return string.format("%d:%.2d:%.2d", hours, minutes, seconds % 60)
    //fix with (because 59.5 % 60 = 59.5 -> 60)
    return string.format("%d:%.2d:%.2d", hours, minutes, math.floor(seconds) % 60)

qbnpnXk.png
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Apart from the later, this patch looks pretty cool. But:

Can someone enlighten me and explain the use of the "Organized Play"? What's the difference between "Server Browser" and "Organized Play" in the end? The only benefit it seems to give is "creating a server" became easy, which is actually bad. Really bad, as it discourages people to create real, administered servers.

The community wanted a "matchmaking" system, not something like this. "Matchmaking" in a sense that it groups up people with about same skill (however you measure and define skill). Everything should be automatic and the gather process should only take a couple of minutes, because it takes people from a pool of player's that joined he matchmaking.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Can someone enlighten me and explain the use of the "Organized Play"? What's the difference between "Server Browser" and "Organized Play" in the end? The only benefit it seems to give is "creating a server" became easy, which is actually bad. Really bad, as it discourages people to create real, administered servers.

The community wanted a "matchmaking" system, not something like this. "Matchmaking" in a sense that it groups up people with about same skill (however you measure and define skill).

It doesn't create a server, it pools you into a community server - I'm pretty sure regular users can even offer their server to be used for the service

I'm not sure how the gather system will look as a final product but I'm hoping a lot more comes to it, it's just for testing as of now
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    shonan wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed if theres performance improvements?

Go to options - graphics - and change light quality to low, you should get a framerate boost

Also when mendasp updates his custom hud mod you should be able to use lowlights on vanilla maps everywhere (this should give a big boost)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »
    It doesn't create a server, it pools you into a community server - I'm pretty sure regular users can even offer their server to be used for the service
    If you don't use the later feature, it starts a server on UWE equipment or pools into a precreated one, which is basically the same.
    ezekel wrote: »
    I'm not sure how the gather system will look as a final product but I'm hoping a lot more comes to it, it's just for testing as of now
    Fair enough. But as you look at the outline now, it doesn't look like there will be any option for automatic matchmaking into a group of more or less same skill.

• G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pertaining to the new skulk sounds, can i still hold down shift key and chain wall jumps to keep momentum and not have people hear me, or do these sounds override the use of the shift key and make shade hive a more viable start?

Never had a chance to log in yesterday to test anything and now I'm stuck at work. -_-
    can anyone confirm?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    We had a force even teams 10 minutes into the game, not only many people got swapped, when I was balanced to other team my FPS dropped to 4, and many other reported the same issue. I went to ready room and got my FPS back.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    RadimaX wrote: »
    So in what build are you gonna fix PETS ON at biodome?
    3jRKF1y.jpg

I reported this ages ago, too. Each new build, I check again and - nope :P
    Nono everything is correct, you're supposed to read through your rear-view mirror.
    police-mirror.jpg
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    Eclipse: Expanded Core Access hallway and added additional props to provide flanking and extra cover for Aliens.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm no sure the gather system is functional. We tried 5 times last night to create a 6v6 gather and only once were we able to actually join a server. The one time we did though we had it unpassworded and an additional 8 people joined making it a 10v10.

Skulks are still too loud as well. I understand wanting to hear them when they are hopping full speed in the same room or just around the corner but this allows you to hear them when they are a couple rooms away.

I love the mini map updates though. the built/unbuilt structure and being able to see friends locations is amazing.
  • GeekGeek Colorado Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10346Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    You guys are lucky that your game loads to find bugs, my game only loads a black screen and eats CPU cycles like mad. Too bad they are so focused on the organized play BS and seem to not care much about the majority of the play in public games that don't turn out very well for new players that don't stick around.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    "organized play BS" lol. Can't please everyone, can you!