Nothing Happens Past First Loading/Title Screen

JibpsyJibpsy Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-14 Member: 193986Members
Hello. so I bought this game from steam a month or so ago and haven't been able to play. every time I launch the game it shows the title 'Natural Selection II' and says loading... and has a blue spinning circle thing and nothing happens. the three dots keep moving and the blue circle spins but even after 30 min, nothing loads or changes and I have to Ctrl Alt Del to get out. I've reinstalled a few times, verified files, nothing works. I'm hoping this can be fixed, but if not how can I can I get a refund for the deluxe edition?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
  • JibpsyJibpsy Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-14 Member: 193986Members
    okay, no problem, I attached a tech-support.exe zip file.

The only other things I can think of to mention is that when I first bought the game I did make it to the menu screen and could adjust settings, never got as far as playing though because I hade to switch internet providers at that time. I think there was some sort of optimization thing happening that never finished, I don't remember what it was but it never got to finish. Once I had a new internet provider and tried the game again I had the issue as mentioned above. I have verified files, always says it all there, and tried re installing a few times and same issue every time. I really hope this can be fixed! thank you for your reply and any light you can shed on the issue.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    ahh, you are using opengl on an intel card on windows.

The easy fix is to delete the file at %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/system_options.xml. You could clear the shader cache as well to be extra sure (%appdata%/Natural Selection 2/cache). That should get you into DX9 which is the most likely to work.

• JibpsyJibpsy Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-14 Member: 193986Members
    Yay! thank you! game loads fine now. Only issue is there is no mouse cursor in menu screens, makes it hard to navigate.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Dear Jibpsy,

Please follow the steps below
    1. Go to %appdata%\Roaming\Natural Selection 2
    2. Open system_options.xml in notepad. If this is not in the above directory, please note that this is the same system_options.xml that you put in your tech_support.zip, so just go back to where you got that.
    3. Where it says anti aliasing, please change this to false
      i.e.
      Change
      <anti-aliasing>true</anti-aliasing>
      to
      <anti-aliasing>false</anti-aliasing>

Hopefully this will resolve the terrible issue you are having!

Kind regards,
    Elodea

Thanks for contact Elodea support! We hope you had a pleasant experience. Please take a moment to fill out our customer service survey below to review your technical advisors assistance
      1) Was your issue resolved today?
      Yes/No/Too early to tell

2)Listening ability:
      1-5

3)Advisor expertise:
      1-5

4) Based on your experience today, how likely would you be to recommend Elodea support to your friends?
      1-5

Additional comments:
    1. KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
      The above post meets the Khyron standard of forum BBCode excellence. Get this man a badge, stat.
    2. JibpsyJibpsy Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-14 Member: 193986Members
      Elodea, Did not work. I didn't think it would as I don't have an anti-aliasing issue.

However I was able to instead of deleting system_options.xml, as Confused suggested (which did get me into the game) I opened it with Notpad and changed <device>OpenGL</device> to <device>D3D11</device> or <device>D3D9</device>. Either way, still no mouse cursor during menu screens...
    3. elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
      Do you have mouse pointer trails enabled?
    4. JibpsyJibpsy Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-14 Member: 193986Members
      yes... I will try disabling it and let you know if that works
    5. JibpsyJibpsy Montreal Join Date: 2014-02-14 Member: 193986Members
      YAY success!!! thank you Elodea!
    6. elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
      Your very welcome!!