Dropship Update (263) Released - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageDropship Update (263) Released - Natural Selection 2

Natural Selection 2 Build 263 has been released, and we’re calling it Dropship. This update adds a feature that Natural Selection 2 has deserved for a long time: Organised play. It also fixes a host of annoying issues, adds World Championship emblems, and includes lots of new small features that make play more enjoyable for all. The update is the culmination of a collaboration between community volunteers, the World Championship organisers, and us here at Unknown Worlds. It is a big one! Since the dawn of time, the only way to join a game in Natural Selection 2 was via the server browser. Outside the game, there were some options: Steam friends, or ENSL.org’s ‘gather system.’ That was fine …

Read the full story here

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    First! Glad to have finally got this update out!
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    YAY FOR "Organized Play"!!!!!!
  • SumeronSumeron Netherlands Join Date: 2013-12-29 Member: 191057Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's a big update. Really going to try this out, let's see if the optimisations make a huge difference. Match making might even bring some Steam friends back into the game :)
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Have we just totally abandoned the mail list now for telling us server operators there is an update...
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Have we just totally abandoned the mail list now for telling us server operators there is an update...

Not at all... But it's only been a few minutes, give me a chance :D :P
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The changelog doesn't mention that the corridor from Core Access to Computer Core on Eclipse has been widened a bit and received some props to give aliens more room for dodging.
    Yep lol, yea I did not realize that I happened to catch the update as soon as it rolled out.

Anyways so onto the major bugs:
    Server no longer reports connected players. In hlsw for example all plaeyrs will show up as unknown regardless of if they are in game or still loading. Right clicking on the server in the browser will not display any users connected to the server despite the player count reflecting that there are.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    So marines get shoulder badges and aliens get nothing?! Pssh! I want alien tattoos on my lerk wings!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yep lol, yea I did not realize that I happened to catch the update as soon as it rolled out.

Server no longer reports connected players. In hlsw for example all plaeyrs will show up as unknown regardless of if they are in game or still loading. Right clicking on the server in the browser will not display any users connected to the server despite the player count reflecting that there are.

That's because they are most likely on a different build than you are.
  • rubiklukerubikluke Join Date: 2013-12-30 Member: 191123Members
    Already got an emblem. Anyone else?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see it doing that also, just check a steamfriend whos ingame, all players show as unknown. You dont need the game installed to check that.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    The system does not work. First of all, you can't join an existing password protected gather. It just says "joining" then nothing happens. We had a 12 man public gather, but when the owner hit "start game" we all got kicked with "Incorrect password" error.

Half the time while waiting in the gather room, you get kicked out of the gather, or kicked to the main screen with "Incorrect Password" error.

These are errors all of us at the Reddit PUG community are experiencing.
  • ED0ggYED0ggY Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17103Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    rubikluke wrote: »
    Already got an emblem. Anyone else?

bought the championship pack, thought id support the cause seem i missed the badge
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    The changelog doesn't mention that the corridor from Core Access to Computer Core on Eclipse has been widened a bit and received some props to give aliens more room for dodging.

Not sure why this didn't get added in the changelog, but here are the changes to eclipse:

-Expanded Core Access hallway to be larger and more favorable for aliens facing arcs from the bottom corner
    -expanded the archways in generator monitor for more space (replaced the doorway model with simple geometry)
    -removed crates in core access, south loop, generator monitors, and east foyer
    -Adjusted the layout of crates in Comp Core
    -replaced false doorway in conduit, to be less confusing

The changes are minimal, and I could have removed more crates, but ill evaluate these changes to see if they make an impact on balance.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Is this update really worth getting it's own name? I guess if it doesn't cause much trouble coming up with a name why not?
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    5TumjCo.jpg

Awesome update. Thank You UWE!
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the player list ingame is broken now, it shows "unknown" for every player, even if fully connected; network queries work correctly.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Jonacrab wrote: »
    Not sure why this didn't get added in the changelog,.

Thanks Jona, I'll add this ASAP.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    FXWfNYj.png

Please support the Steam server browser someday. There are some amazing quality of life improvements in this build, but supporting the Steam server browser would really make it easier to hop in and play.
    edited February 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »

That's because they are most likely on a different build than you are.

Unfortunately, no.

Also still no update on the server mail list. I feel bad for the server operators that do not have messenger monkeys that watch the UWE site 24/7 to inform them of updates vs an e-mail that they can configure their phones to sound an alarm and wake up ect to update their servers.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skulks are so loud ;_; Time to Shade hive first every game!
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2014
    Just made a thread linking here in the steam dicussions -- a lot of people there were lost looking for patch notes
  • Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why no Shadow onos/fade. . . you make me a sad scorpion :<
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    YAY. So many great things. FOV numbers etc is something I have been waiting for a while.
  • CidcaldensfeyCidcaldensfey Chicago Join Date: 2014-02-10 Member: 193924Members
    I wanted to verify, does this mean we're going to be playing against premades now on random servers?
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    So I'm guessing 264 will contain the shade rebalance since it was removed from 263 due to the world cup or whatever it's called?
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    There is a game-critical bug in Docking, and we recommend not playing it in 263
    - Great update, this was what i waited for all this time...
  • MazzaMazza Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75194Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I can't seem to disable V-Sync at all. FPS is maxed at 60 all the time.
    Running Fullscreen Windowed.

This happened previously with one of the past builds as well.
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    >Muting a player will now also mute voice requests (like need ammo / medpack)
    This is great most of the time, but I often comm while playing with friends I have on skype or whatever. I mute them ingame to not hear them twice, but would like to still get their menu requests.