Super exciting game that I have to share!!!!

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited October 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Map was mineshaft. I was alien comm. I chose crag hive first. We decided to take and keep central. Got a hive up in repair. Had lots or res towers. Went shift hive second. This went on for awhile. I got max biomass and placed about a dozen whips at both hives to hopefull echo somewhere. Marines kill cave hive. We build it back up really quick with two gorges. I get shade hive and get 3 veils. I am floating about 150 res at that time. I place 5 gorge eggs at each hive. A few lerk eggs too. I made back ups of our upgrades. We now have three onos. Unable to actually take a third hive. I am providing drifter support and there are gorges too. I am getting up to 180 res with nothing but eggs to spend it on as I am at supply limit. We still can't take anything and about 12 onos died by this time. Then the fun begins.

Marines try to get more organized and push. While they do this we take sorting and deposit with our two onos. They kill cave hive really quick. They then push repair. I placed deposit, sorting, and cave hives out of my 200 res. Repair goes down. We have no built hives and are running out of eggs. They kill cave hive and sorting hive. Someone went gorge on the deposit hive which already had a drifter. We barely got deposit up in time. Someone else got in hive and placed repair and cave again. Everyone starts spawning in all those gorge eggs I placed earlier as they were all that was left. We get the hives up really quick. The marine push had lost momentum by then and was less organized. They pushed but we defended them off with the help of the massive amount of whips at cave and repair.

Assessment was we still had all our upgrades. There were still lots of whips. We still had two hives like we did before this big push. We had emptied sorting and deposit. All our res towers were dead. We still had like 30 res left over though. I slowly built up all our res towers again. We had all but gap and operations res nodes which were marines. We were accumulating onos again and lots of res. Marines were demoralized and broke from their failed, although nearly successful, push. So they conceded. ~52 minute game.

All us aliens were talking excitedly in the ready room about what an improbable victory. The marine, @dvox, who carried the marines was complaining about his team standing around in base. I don't care what he had to complain about. They chewed through hives and onos like candy and somehow we won. It was super fun and exciting for us aliens. Now yes this was a pub game and organization was touch and go. We could not make a successful push, and they could not follow through with theirs big push.

I just wish I, or someone, had recorded this game. I still had to share even if just a story.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Those last-minute alien comebacks are the BEST! Speaking of which, I've got a story too.

It was on docking (not classic/old docking or what have you, but the one where caf didn't have the TP)

So we start Departures, and unfortunately we were grossly out-skilled by the marines, who of course immediately lock down courtyard and stability, and also get a base up right outside in departures, phase gates, armory, robo, etc. Everyone on the team is demoralized, but I was commanding and still had a trick up my sleeve. Only having one hive, I couldn't contaminate, but what I COULD do was constantly cyst into Terminal through courtyard. The first 20 times or so the chain would be cut... but oh that 21st time (or w/e it was) they didn't kill the cysts. I of course had a shift and about 10 whips ready in base. As soon as that infestation spread to the power node, I echoed them all in, and (this is before whips had to re-root after being echoed) within about 10 seconds or so, the power was down. As soon as I started echoing in the whips, I was also placing down other cysts in their base so my whips could move around freely. Before long, their base was destroyed, and even those who ran back to defend were killed by the whips and the pursuing skulks. Evidently the marines hadn't dropped locker or gen either. Victory was so so sweet! :D
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »
    So they conceded. ~52 minute game.
    Me & my clan found ourselves in a 56 minute competitive game the other night (we eventually lost). I think I dropped 5-6 hives. So very exhausting -__-

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Call me cynical, but I just can't enjoy a game where one team losing their vastly superior position due to horrible play is offset by the other team playing their vastly superior positon even worse.

The most frustrating thing in public NS2 is having every key to victory in your hands and knowing how to utilise them, but the rest of your team keeps dropping the ball in the most basic things. It's not that much better being on the other side either, knowing that you made a comeback not because of your own tactical prowess, but because the other team keeps picking their noses instead of doing what they ought to do.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Therius wrote: »
    Call me cynical, but I just can't enjoy a game where one team losing their vastly superior position due to horrible play is offset by the other team playing their vastly superior positon even worse.

The most frustrating thing in public NS2 is having every key to victory in your hands and knowing how to utilise them, but the rest of your team keeps dropping the ball in the most basic things. It's not that much better being on the other side either, knowing that you made a comeback not because of your own tactical prowess, but because the other team keeps picking their noses instead of doing what they ought to do.
    I can understand that position. I don't know about the marine team but the alien team was being pretty organized. Grouping up. Decent skill for a pub with some game sense, although definitely less total skill than marines. I was getting pretty bored actually around the 30 minute mark. My team could not complete a push. We had made the marines beacon back and forth several times. I had so much res and could not do much but move a drifter around. I was wishing it would just end. Then it got better.

If I was a marine I would not of been having fun. I would be upset my team wasn't pushing outside of their base. Trying to heard your team is like hearding cats sometimes. They may of been able to fend us off but they were not pushing out for a long time. Finally they got organized, I assume dvox's doing and I bet the game picked up for them before becoming sour.

The entire reason I had fun was not that we won, but how ridiculous the come back was. We had 7 hives die in under two minutes and came out on top. That is just pure rediculousness and was fun to be apart of.
    Mouse wrote: »
    Me & my clan found ourselves in a 56 minute competitive game the other night (we eventually lost). I think I dropped 5-6 hives. So very exhausting -__-
    Knowing how intense competitive can be, that does sound exhausting. Sounds like you were on the back foot like we were, but your marines were more organized and didn't let you capitalize on anything.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Stories to share, I like this.

Map: Refinery
    We were out played early, and was locked to Turbine (our starting hive). I eventually got biomass 3 and bile (I think 20 minutes in), the marines haven't made a successful push even though we were pinched in. Some how a gorge made it out (I think he built a tunnel early in base and died) only to re-gorge.
    We got a tunnel under the stairs to around extraction with a shade. Our whole team rushed flow with 2-3 skulks defending (including me - was comm). We sacked flow and killed all the marines phasing back with their shiny toys. They had taken all other TP with cc and pg and armory (where all their res was sinked).

We made our way to Containment where they had ips (half our team), while I instructed the other half (about 4 skulks) to kill all their res. We did that (they had 1 RT after about 1 minute). I hopped back in hive and expanded out, eventually took most of the RTs on the map, and got Smelting hive up. The marines were too demoralised to fight and push out after that, and we eventually won (by a concede I think).

It was a 35 minute game, but was so so awesome.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2014
    This seems nice. I got something more interesting but I wont go into detail.
    You know how sometimes we see aliens failingly build a hive when their last hive is going down? Yeah, well, the marines were in danger of beating us at around 30 minutes and they had lots of stuff. They destroyed our last base but luckily we built another hive before last one gets destroyed. Using the power of the newly built shade hive, we turn the game around and completely destroy the marines.\

I love destroying the enemy when they have a huge advantage.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    I was about to do a TL;D, but the on my keyboad stopped woking popely.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    lol, I take it the 'R' broke :P
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Knowing how intense competitive can be, that does sound exhausting. Sounds like you were on the back foot like we were, but your marines were more organized and didn't let you capitalize on anything.

Pretty much. They were fully teched up and able to keep pressure on our hives and nodes, but we kept res pressure up and rushed their base occasionally. Also, until about 40 min, they didn't put any additional CCs down. So we only needed to clear out the phase gates to reclaim a tech point.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Pretty much. They were fully teched up and able to keep pressure on our hives and nodes, but we kept res pressure up and rushed their base occasionally. Also, until about 40 min, they didn't put any additional CCs down. So we only needed to clear out the phase gates to reclaim a tech point.
    Makes sense. Comp marines are more focused on what they actually need to win. Probably used more tres on weapons for marines and medpacks and ammo. I dont remember seeing any med pack drops in my match.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Whassat? *shakes cane at you* Back in my day, back at NS 1.0, games used to last two hours! *strokes beard* And they were the fast ones! None of this pansy-wansy 30 min game bullcrap! *takes puff from pipe* Kids these days, you're all a bunch of nerdy chickens eating bananas on tuesdays, or something! I forget what I was saying now... *squints, farts* Oh yeah, get off my lawn!

• BeerTentBeerTent Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169639Members
    Martigen wrote: »
    Whassat? *shakes cane at you* Back in my day, back at NS 1.0, games used to last two hours! *strokes beard* And they were the fast ones! None of this pansy-wansy 30 min game bullcrap! *takes puff from pipe* Kids these days, you're all a bunch of nerdy chickens eating bananas on tuesdays, or something! I forget what I was saying now... *squints, farts* Oh yeah, get off my lawn!

Remember that 72 hour long game on Tanith?
    Martigen wrote: »
    Once had an 8 hour game. Top that. No proof though saddly.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I was at the start of a NS1 game, had to leave for work about an hour into it (2nd shift), and it was still going when I got back home.

I may be in the minority, but personally I enjoy that a NS2 game is considered long if it's an hour...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Be interesting to make a "long-form ns2" mod that would re-balance to facilitate more come-backs, and longer games... though not having played ns1 back in the day, I don't know for sure exactly what it was that made the matches take so long.