Any plans for AMD Mantle support?

123457»

Comments

• RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Who ever said it would double the framerate? 10 more fps can mean significant change to many users and i'm pretty sure the gains wouldn't be limited to 10fps max. So why the hell not use it if it never produces negative results!?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It hasn't yet been proven to never produce negative results.

Most people are going by Swarm demo figures. If you read the link posted, it is mostly those, and you cannot compare an Engine and Demo specifically designed for Mantle, to give an accurate example of real world scenarios :)
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    @Soul_Rider
    The Star Swarm developers went on record stating that they actually spent longer on improving their DirectX API than they did with Mantle. Go figure:
    Q. This is just a marketing tool for AMD; you’ve obviously crippled the DirectX version!
    A. We really haven’t; to be perfectly honest we’ve spent more time optimizing for DirectX than we have on Mantle. The fact is that DirectX is conceived and implemented as a single-threaded API, and so a lot of the more significant gains we see thanks to the Nitrous engine’s aggressive multithreading are badly limited by API overhead when we’re using it.
    We obviously can’t prove this to the satisfaction of everyone on the Internet, but understand that our primary goal with Nitrous is to make the best engine we can so that we can open the door to the new kinds of games that we want to make (and play ourselves!). An awful lot of the gamers we hope to entertain don’t and won’t have access to Mantle-enabled hardware any time soon, so we’d be making a huge mistake as entertainers and as businesspeople by not supporting or poorly supporting non-Mantle hardware.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/267130/discussions/0/5587467457968

As long as UWE doesn't implement Mantle (which they won't) - we can sit and speculate all day whether Mantle would yield big or small improvements.
    Subnautica is the next big thing, so no Mantle love for NS2.

That's it, man! Game over, man, game over!
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't know why you guys are debating, you know full well that it's never going to happen for ns2. UWE can barely get this game to run @ a decent frame rate as is. It's kind of like asking your unemployed dad "dad, when you gonna buy me a BMW for my birthday?"
  • ukeuke Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185840Members
    mantle should get implemented for a better framerate and they already implemented opengl/dx11

sounds almost like dx11/opengl were a waste of time they spent on getting it in the game?!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    DX11 was a waste of time yeah, since everyone still uses DX9 to avoid bugs and OpenGL is for Linux only and apparently the Linux build suffers huge problems right now? (Might be for just some users). Also I don't think 11 offered much of a perf. increase over 9.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I've used DX11 since they implemented it. It feels a bit smoother. No bugs that I have found. Mumble overlay won't work if you like it though.
  • ukeuke Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185840Members
    hm just tested the difference between dx11 and 9 for my pc and i can get more than 10fps more with dx11 just by changing the api, same settings, same map, same spot from where i look
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    uke wrote: »
    hm just tested the difference between dx11 and 9 for my pc and i can get more than 10fps more with dx11 just by changing the api, same settings, same map, same spot from where i look
    Not saying your result is invalid, but my experience with dx11 has been less fps. Different set ups different results etc.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    I've used DX11 since they implemented it. It feels a bit smoother. No bugs that I have found. Mumble overlay won't work if you like it though.
    On the release patch for it there was a ton of bugs, they have since mostly (if not all) been fixed. But the fact that everyone learned not to use it because it was buggy has stuck, so no one went back to it (well mostly, obviously you're an exception) and still use DX9.

I just wish they'd fixed the blasted borderless mode alt tab bug they introduced in the same patch.