Questions about custom models

CidcaldensfeyCidcaldensfey Chicago Join Date: 2014-02-10 Member: 193924Members
I did some reading and I probably missed it, so I thought I would at least ask. I'm definitely interested in making and importing custom models/textures for myself and a handful of friends, but does the current NS2 setup allow this to happen? I ask because I remember how in NS1 players could create and load custom skins, sounds, etc without requiring the server to accept or host them.

Thanks. And no, it's not stupid BS stuff, just stuff like maybe stuff from aliens or mass effect.

Comments

• QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    things like making all marines show up as square blue hit boxes ?

• FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I dont see any issue even if this is for blue boxes. He said it is for himself and his friends, and ppl ashould be allowed to mess around as they wish when doing a lan/private server imho.

To answer, yes its possible. As you would expect, you obviously need access to the server, and have to mod it to do this. Well, at least you should need that unless you find some sort of exploit. But that isnt really an issue when you guys host that server for yourselves.
  • CidcaldensfeyCidcaldensfey Chicago Join Date: 2014-02-10 Member: 193924Members
    edited February 2014
    Wow, so -all- the mods and everything are done serverside? Nothing can really effect clientside stuff? Like merely replacing models?

I just remember when I played NS1 I had the marine team as Blood Angeles and a bunch of cool weapon models. IE these mods: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/31511/blood-angels-custom-shop

Stuff like this isn't possible to merely affect my client with? I guess the way I'm thinking it (roughly, mind you) is that the models the game looks for would still be there but merely replaced with mine.

So far, the only thing I'm worried about is that the game might do a file check and see the difference, in which case it wouldn't let me play with others. Which kind of ruins the fun and all. But eh.

I'll still try it anyway and eventually I'll hit a brick wall but whatever. If I can have my friends and I as Turian special forces or something, would be pretty cool ;p
  • QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    the server does a verification if you run the same files as the server on your client, there is a server variable ofr this to turn it off i think

i ma not quite sure if it checks models tho, i gues it has to as some models are actualy used as walls, so you cant replace them with empty models

• FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    No, not all mods has to be done serverside, but I believe all model mods do. Probably all re-skins too.
    The reason is pretty obvious, and it is because otherwise someone could change the models to improve their kd-ratio. Like, everytime I ambush marines by clinging to a piece of wall that makes me blend in really well, I would suddenly get shot by a guy that used a mod to cause skulks to be a glaring, bright, white or something.

But if you have access to the server you and your friends play in, you can easily mod whatever you want. The verification merely looks for differing files, and a modded server therefor wants clients to use the same mod. You can also tell the server to not verify certain files if you want, letting ppl use different mods.
  • CidcaldensfeyCidcaldensfey Chicago Join Date: 2014-02-10 Member: 193924Members
    edited February 2014
    Very helpful, thanks. I've been reading it's a pain in the ass to get models to work in NS2. I don't have any experience in this but I don't mind at least trying and seeing what I can do. If I can figure out a way to do what I want I'll probably look into renting my own server for people to play on with any mods they want.

I'll probably post here and other places in my venture, but don't expect anything as I doubt I will succeed. But still! :) Could at least try.