Please fix server browser

ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I select filter full servers, yet I still get full servers results.

vYr7gjI.png

Also, a rookie friendly filter would be nice too.

I also notice sometimes when I join a server with 1 free slot, it will kick me saying full server. Yet I go to the server browser after kick and it still shows an open slot.

Comments

• lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    It's the different implementations of reserved slots that are all rather subpar.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    The yellow ones have reserved slots and are technically not full. If you look closely when you "update", it will first show like 22/24, then quickly go to 22/22.

Yes the server browser is bad, but what else is new.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Do we really need another thread about this? It's not full, as I and PaLaGi just said.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    lwf wrote: »
    It's the different implementations of reserved slots that are all rather subpar.
    This.
    The server browser is attempting to deal with this through color distinctions.
    And reserved slots should not be filtered out when you filter full.. due to said different implementations. (you can still join many and spec until a slot opens etc due to their implementation)
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited January 2014
    Well whatever it is, the server is unjoinable almost every time when it's displayed as 23/23 in yellow. I guess people don't mind blindly clicking into a server and having the chance of being kicked and having to do the refresh server list over and over. I don't know about you, but I find that annoying. How someone would want incorrectly displayed server information on server list is mind boggling to me.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Jeah full servers should be filtered. Those with reserved slots are still full, only for those that have a reserved slot they are not. But if you have a reserved slot then you will have the server in your favorites, which wont be filtered.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    And what about those servers that anyone can join, even though it shows reserved slots only, as they're used for spectating? Do we just say "screw em"?
    Hardly seems like a justified stance to take when the official ns2 reserved slot system is broken, and everything is left up to custom mods..
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    And what about those servers that anyone can join, even though it shows reserved slots only, as they're used for spectating? Do we just say "screw em"?
    Hardly seems like a justified stance to take when the official ns2 reserved slot system is broken, and everything is left up to custom mods..

Maybe make a new option to filter these servers. So the user can decide if he want to see full server, servers with open reserved slots only or just servers with open playable slots.

I'm about to blow your mind - http://i.imgur.com/Jib50MT.png
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    ns2isgood wrote: »

Except....that doesn't really solve the problem... just clutters the UI up more. No other options will be added to the server browser, I can guarantee that, the only way it would be possible is if I made checkboxes able to be more than just true false.
    And what res is that in.
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Except....that doesn't really solve the problem... just clutters the UI up more. No other options will be added to the server browser, I can guarantee that, the only way it would be possible is if I made checkboxes able to be more than just true false.
    And what res is that in.

lol, its 1024x768 downscaled, only way for me to get reliable and persistent frame rate in this game
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow

And what res is that in.

It wouldn't be that hard to make a new row below the Map name filter. That way, maybe we could have the rookie mode filter back, too.

(And a 3 way Checkbox isn't that hard to implement, too. If I recall correctly, the old rookie filter was one. But I'm not sure of this, maybe I'm mixing this with another game)
    Eh.. I'm typically all for UI improvements, but for something like this, I just really don't think you're being inconvenienced that much.

You have to what, scan over the first few reserved slot servers that are full at the top and then pick one that says 19/20 that isn't yellow... even in that screenshot you provided in that low res, I can count almost 10 servers that are not reserved and not full and are clearly distinguished with white color... you didn't even have to scroll. So I just don't feel its that inconveniencing..
    Eh.. I'm typically all for UI improvements, but for something like this, I just really don't think you're being inconvenienced that much.

You have to what, scan over the first few reserved slot servers that are full at the top and then pick one that says 19/20 that isn't yellow... even in that screenshot you provided in that low res, I can count almost 10 servers that are not reserved and not full and are clearly distinguished with white color... you didn't even have to scroll. So I just don't feel its that inconveniencing..

10 of the 20 servers displayed are servers I can't play on despite my filter settings, how are you trying to defend this? This shouldn't be clogging up my view of available servers that I CAN PLAY on. It's already a pain in the ass sifting through the 20,000 billion rookie friendly servers, adding another layer of shit I have to sift through is just an annoyance.

And what res is that in.

lmao, 1 word clutters the ui
    edited January 2014
    10 of the 20 servers displayed are servers I can't play on despite my filter settings, how are you trying to defend this?
    Easy.
    Like this:
    I just really don't think you're being inconvenienced that much.
    In an instant's glance you are able to determine which servers you can join.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited January 2014
    Its bad ui design. And, having reserved slots for specttors is a mod and not vanilla. i would argue the way the mod handles this, with reserved slots, is wrong. the standard ns2 server browser should not show 50% of servers that the user can not join if he clearly said he does not want to see them.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    That filtering is the least problem you have?
    Try to join a full server...

However with time you get all the tricks down. Update > Rightclickclickclick > Join Queue. Alt-tab. Steam Friends > Join Server if spot's free > If you hear sound > Alt-tab back > update > rightclickclickclick > Join and so on.
    This has NOTHING, to do with specs or mods, this is about servers with reserved slots NOT being full
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @SamusDroid is right. Its way better than before the color distinction and substracting-reserved-slots, where you joined a non-full server just to be refused.
    This has NOTHING, to do with specs or mods, this is about servers with reserved slots NOT being full
    Ohhh yea.. didn't you and me have this exact argument when you were working on this? lol..

I think i was arguing with you and agreeing with things like what Asraniel and ns2isgood are saying... which is funny that I've changed my opinion.. I guess because it really didn't become a problem like i thought it would.
    I suppose it's subjective though and could more of a pita for others like OP..

Now considering it, I think the assumption that i'd have to have a server favorited in order to see whether i could join its reserved slot seems silly considering said custom reserved slots.
    edited January 2014
    I guess to each his own. I dont see why the 98% (random big number) of players that dont have access to any reserved slots should see servers that are full for them, even if they said that they do t want to see them. And that just that those few players that can join them, can directly see them. Im convinced that again a majority of those players will have the server in their favorites, because they have a special connection to it. So the needs of a tiny minority are above those of the big majority, a need that can easily be met if they favorite the server on which they have special privileges, again something i find hard to believe they dont do anyway.
    That said, i dont care that much about it myself. I'm mucky and dont have 50% of the servers i cant play on when i play, but op is really unlucky and i dont think that this part of the ui design works out for him
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold

Is it ever going to be fixed though? IIRC the reserved slots system was one of those cool "post 1.0" features.
    The current workarounds are unacceptable, and I'm getting real tired of being locked out of our own servers..

We've been asking for this for 2 years now.

• Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Custom systems have problems because the underlying system provided by UWE is broken in the first place. For example people without access can still join "reserved" servers for example that don't permit people without res. access.
    edited January 2014
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
  • SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the mod link, I am in the 'this is an issue that should be fixed' by default.

- If you have a reserved slot, that is a feature that lets you 'get into a full server', so it should be obvious to turn that filter off.

- People who want to just spectate are going to be in the minority, they are going to probably be looking for a specific favorite server, and can just turn the filter off to find server counts in a different color.

- Listing those servers is just clutter for the majority who are looking for a populated but not full server to join.
    @slowlefty

1) Like samus said: If the server still has joinable slots for someone, whether you personally are able to join or not, then it is not "full".. especially given the nature of the recent server mods allowing spec
    2) What an assumption. That must be why this guy has so many awesomes, right?..... -_-
    3) "and can just turn the filter off to find server counts in a different color." So can you? Are you really arguing that you cannot see which servers are joinable in that screenshot at a single glance? I don't believe this argument about "clutter" when its crystal clear in a single glance. Hell, its even color coded for you...

@bicsum
    I have no ETA on that... You're better off asking Sewlek or Samusdroid.
    But if you ask me, admins would still use their custom solutions even if vanilla reserved slots were fixed, given how robust their mods are now.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2014
    @bicsum
    I have no ETA on that... You're better off asking Sewlek or Samusdroid.
    But if you ask me, admins would still use their custom solutions even if vanilla reserved slots were fixed, given how robust their mods are now.

We want our players to be able to connect via steam friends, but doesn't work work with neither passworded servers, nor 18/20 ("full") servers.
    Correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure source games are able to handle reserverd slots within steam, so why can't NS2? Now I know only so much about the ns2 code, but I guess the steam <> game interface is handled inside the engine, and thus isn't fixable by Sewlek or Samusdroid(?).

Should that be the case, is it possible that Max or Dushan might take look at it? I know that they're probably busy with Subnautica, but it would be really cool, if they could fix that. I would probably even buy Subnautica twice as a thank you.