Always show how many greens are on each team + Team score counter

HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
First wish:
I like to host and play at the same time.
In order to break up stacking, I need to see how many greens are on each side.
Unfortunately - if I'm playing - it's impossible to see the number of greens on the other team. That only works in spectator mode.
Please change the scoreboard so every player can always see how many greens are on both teams.

Second wish:
Please add a score counter to the scoreboard that adds up the players' previous scores.

Example: A round has ended, there are 12 players. Each one has a score. Now they pick a new team.
Let the scoreboard add up all marine and alien team scores and present the 2 totals so you can make a rough guesstimate if teams are balanced.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    1. There is a reason you are not able to see the others team rookies.
    But if you really want to add this to your server there is a mod which does this.

2. Thats possible to do but pretty useless, let's just say one team outteched the other in the previous round, now scores of the last round won't help you to balance anything. Also this might even will lead to more stacking.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Regarding 1:
    Why not? What advantage could a ns2 player possibly gain from the knowledge that e.g. the marine team has 5 greens and aliens got none?
    Right now, I have to stay out of early games and spend the first few minutes on spectator instead in order to check if greens are balanced.

And:
    Which mod?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202297858 (Warning: will likely break with every ns2 patch)

About 1: There 3 main issues:

1. Flaming: Some ppl start to flame when they realize that their team has even 1 more rookie than the other. This leads often to 2.

2. Verbal Abuse against Rookies: Rookies show themself to get support and understanding for their actions from their teammates. Enemies don't have any reason to be "really nice" to the other teams rookies.

3. Rookie Hunting (not anymore): Until some builds ago you were able to see opponents name over their heads. This and the fact that you could see enemies rookies was used by some ppl to hunt them.
    Also just think about this:

Wouldn't you react different if you know the onus comming at you is a rookie?

As 3 is gone there's no gameplay reason to hide rookies anymore, but as 1. and 2. are things you can't really fix, it might be a good idea to still hide rookies from all players, or?
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Point 1 and 2 seem like they wouldn't happen very often. Verbal abuse already happens at times and whether they are green or not usually doesn't matter much. If a team sucks it sucks, plenty whites included in there.

Point 3 seems logical though, but actively hunting rookies by their name? That actually happened and was a problem?
    Knowing if the life-form I'm fighting is a rookie or not would be beneficial. However It pretty much is a dead give away already by simply looking at the player movement or what building is being attacked.

I don't see much harm in seeing the greens nor do I think it would increase stacking much. Don't think its really needed either though as it's pretty easy to see which team is winning by simply looking at the k/d ratio.
    Player badges are practically the same thing, some people are more likely to join a team with badges where as others join the enemy team to balance it out.
    It be interesting to see if stacking has increased or decreased after the introduction of the reinforcement program. I usually find myself joining the team with lowest k/d or the team without badges.